Who's your Sportsman of the Year?

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
On SI.com, they are already making their picks for 'Sportsman of the Year.' (Last year, it was Favre).

Who's your choice?

Also, regardless of who wins, I hope they don't screw it up this year.

Two of the worst 'Sportsman' mistakes both occured when great players/teams in hockey got passed over.

In 1993, Mario Lemieux was inexplicably passed over for Don Shula. Don't get me wrong, passing George Halas and becoming the winningest NFL coach is nothing to sneeze at, but how someone can come back from life-threatening Hodgkin's Disease and rally to win a scoring title (against Pat LaFontaine of MY Sabres, nonetheless- I was not happy he got passed- I wanted Pat to win) is not good enough?!

A year later, the Stanley Cup champion New York Rangers got passed over in favor of SPEED SKATERS?! That was ridiculous.

Off the top of my head, how about Eli Manning. He was booed out of the building a year ago and became Super Bowl MVP. I might be bias since I'm a Giants fan but that's off the top of my head.

MAN-NY! MAN-NY!

eldabus1.gif

HD MM said:
Sportsman of the Year. Not Douche of the Year.

:up Exactly!

Usain Bolt for absolutely destroying the competition in his time at the Olympics.

I'm not a track guy, or even an Olympics fan, but (IMO) what Bolt did was just a little more impressive than Phelps and his showing.

I'm not a track guy, or even an Olympics fan, but (IMO) what Bolt did was just a little more impressive than Phelps and his showing.
I'm curious to hear the rationale behind that statement.

Phelps won a gold medal in all 8 events he participated in, and set 7 world records and 1 olympic record in those events. While what Bolt accomplished was impressive, how is that "just a little more impressive than Phelps and his showing"??

Because both sports are usually won by hundreths of a second over a field of world class competitors. Phelps did that,eyelash here, eyelash there. Bolt absolutely killed the field.

I also look at some of the swimming events as overkill. Breaststroke? Backstroke? Butterfly? Freestyle? Individual medely? team relay? I for one don't care about any of the differences.

Here's my take: both Bolt and Phelps are the class of their particular disciplines at short distances, 50M 100M 200M.

I actually think that Bolt was a little more impressive at his in Beijing.

Because both sports are usually won by hundreths of a second over a field of world class competitors. Phelps did that,eyelash here, eyelash there. Bolt absolutely killed the field.

I also look at some of the swimming events as overkill. Breaststroke? Backstroke? Butterfly? Freestyle? Individual medely? team relay? I for one don't care about any of the differences.

Here's my take: both Bolt and Phelps are the class of their particular disciplines at short distances, 50M 100M 200M.

I actually think that Bolt was a little more impressive at his in Beijing.

Interesting.....hmmmm.....:cool:

Realizing that SI picks its Sportsperson of the Year to target advertisers for one of the hottest newsstand copy sells of the year of any magazine, there was no one hotter than Michael Phelps. Follow the money.