Why 7$ for additional receiver

It's a real shame that the duo receivers went up so high. When I first signed up only 2 years ago, it was one of the benefits of having Dish over Direct. I had two duo's, which of course ran four T.V.'s and had to only pay like $5 per month in receiver fee's. Then my bill was $64 per month. Now with other increases, and the one coming up, my bill will be very close to $90 per month. That's a pretty steep price hike in two years.

I agree with rapidturtle. When I first got Sat TV about 6 years ago, I sent the DirectTV guy packing because it was going to cost $15 extra per month for a 4 room setup versus $5 more with Dish... plus the fact that Direct didn't offer locals for my DMA until very recently.
This is another case where Charlie has effectively shot himself in the foot.

Again, people do not seem to understand that there is no advantage to owning equipment in this day and age. The only time you need to buy is when you run up into the leased receiver limit, or you want to avoid extending your contract.

There is a reason it is called the additional receiver fee, not the leased receiver fee. Do your homework.

But allowing people to make things up with no material basis and force them on other people is bad practice. That's the way you end up with theocracy.

You're getting an extra service from them, so you pay for it.

Your "purchase" of the receiver just lets you resell it someday to recover some of your costs. And it let's you avoid being in a contract. That's about it.

There is very little reason to own over lease.

I own both receivers why do you charge 7$ isnt it free

Ok check with your local cable co.. Time Warner charges an additional $10 and change per month for each digital box in your home PLUS a fee for each remote. Do the math. Is $7 less than $12 or $13?.....Case closed.
Oh, Time Warner also adds an additional fee for their cheap assed no good reboot daily DVR.
On the actual fee issue, I can empathize. The word "fee" is just an excuse to nickel and dime customers to death.

You're getting an extra service from them, so you pay for it.

Your "purchase" of the receiver just lets you resell it someday to recover some of your costs. And it let's you avoid being in a contract. That's about it.

There is very little reason to own over lease.

My intent is to switch over to HD....I have never had a contract with Dish in 12 years. I have no intention of doing that now. I will purchase rather than lease......Being a customer without a contract, auto pay, paperless billing gives me "leverage"....
Each time, which are very few, I have needed the Dish custy service, I have gotten reasonable concessions.
The up front expense is worth it for me.

I have never had a contract with Dish in 14 years to i was thinking off purchasing my own HD receivers to so i do not have to be on contract , Do i have to sign up for auto pay, paperless billing if i do.

Why do people freak out about being on contract so much to the point where they would rather pay several hundred dollars out of pocket just to avoid it.

I mean, if you spend a couple hundred dollars I would assume you plan on being able to use that equipment for at least a year.
So why not get it for free, and sign on for an additional year?
Even if you break contract, it could be cheaper then the initial out of pocket expense of the equipment depending on what you get.

When i do not have a contract i am in control and get better serves from the provider because they do not wand to loose you

When i do not have a contract i am in control and get better serves from the provider because they do not wand to loose you
Me too. 13 year sub, never a contract. A month ago, Dish replaced my nearly two year old 722, free of charge, and not a penny out of my pocket, and I don't even have the service plan. They DO treat you better.

To answer the question, no you do not need to add autopay or paperless statements if you purchase and add your own receiver to your account. When I went HD for the first time, I bought a 722 and added it to my account, along with the $10 HD upcharge. Nowadays, Dish offers HD free for life. Maybe to add that (for free) you will require paperless or autopay? Not sure.

Me too. 13 year sub, never a contract. A month ago, Dish replaced my nearly two year old 722, free of charge, and not a penny out of my pocket, and I don't even have the service plan. They DO treat you better.

If a customer calls, regardless if they are on a contract or not, we can usually service them within 24 hours, if they are available. If you have the service plan, its the difference of a $15 service call or a $95 service call. Yes, you can argue that, you will probably get it free if you do...that goes for contracts and no contracts alike.

When I get to a home to do a repair, I dont look to see if they have a contract or not...to see how "well" I will fix the problem. Im fixing the issue no matter what it takes.

to get free HD for life yes you must sign up for autopay and select a 2 yr contract. If you dont want to do that then you can drop a 1 time fee of $99. I know its not "free" but after 10 months you pay for HD you want

BTW, I discovered Fios in my area will charge me $20 for the FIRST DVR I want. And $20 for the second one, etc. No free "first" DVR like with Dish.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)