Why ABCW better than NBCW and CBSW?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

guity

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2004
This is probably an easy one for you guys but I am clueless. Here in LA if I switch from an SD station to its equivalent HD station, and the HD station is not broadcasting in HD, then the picture looks pretty much the same to me (which seems logical).

However, the ABCW picture (again being broadcast in SD) widens out to fill (almost) the width of my screen, and the picture seems much sharper (though not HD) than the equivalent SD channel. Can anyone explain why this happens and why ABC is different in this way?

Thanks--

The local digital channels are always being broadcast in their native hd resolution but its the actual recordings of the shows/news/commercials that are not in the HD resolution, so that is why it doesnt look HD, but it looks better than analog, or the crappy overcompressed digital Directv basic channels. I dont know why they dont broadcast the news in true HD...The only time you are going to see the true HD broadcast are durring prime time hours and of course the occasional sports showings durring the weekend daytime hours. Now my local PBS chicago channel 11 is true HD most of the time but occasionally you will see a true widescreen broadcast that is in a standard definition resolution, but it isnt stretched... Before fox went to 720p they were broadcasting certain shows, nascar etc in widescreen 480p which was pretty cool too. I actually think Fox's 720p sucks compared to the rest of the networks.. Worlds finest HD my ass....

ABC probably figured that most people who are receiving the digital broadcast probably have HD widescreen tv's so they stretch the normal broadcasts to fit the screen. Actually it seems like they are zooming a little and stretching a little. Because its not quite the same if I use the stretch option on my receiver...

I've noticed this too. The SD ABC from NY/LA (on the HD channel) picture is not streatched, it actually shows more of the picture to the sides. I know this by comparing the ABC local station to the ABC NY/LA station.

The Los Angeles LA OTA station 7.1 seems to zoom in a bit to make the picture larger than 4:3 but not quite full wide screen. When you jump between 7 and 7.1 the picture is zoomed in. It doesn't seem to be stretched. Channel 5.1 in LA also seems to be doing this.

I personally don't like the zoom in, since we lose a little top and bottom image. I guess it gives the illusion of a semi-wide screen feel, but I would much rather have simple 4:3 and let the viewer decide how to fill the wide screen.

im in los angeles and i don't get East coast local feed. isn't that normal? it sounds like some people are getting both east/west feed in california. i'd like to get east coast feed too, if that's possible.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)