Why am I getting HDNet mapped to a local channel on VOOM?

rnewste

Original poster
May 3, 2004
HDNet is now in beautiful high definition mapped to one of my local OTA sub-channels. Just started a week ago. When I push the "Info" button, it lists programming from my local OTA channel, but it is totally different HD sports programming with the "HDNet" logo at the bottom right corner of the screen. I'm not complaining - - but anybody have an idea as to why I am receiving it??

Ray :)

Are you in Dallas? I've heard of HDNET broadcasting a version of their channel over the air but I think that was in Dallas and it's not exactly the same as the actual cable channel but I don't know how it differs.

I am in the San Francisco Bay area. HDNet is on channel 4.1 all the time now. It looks like my "normal" OTA programming from KRON is now on 4.2. Really STRANGE!!!

Ray

Yes some local stations run a limited selection of hdnet programming, sort of a teaser of the real thing. Let us know if you ever see the good stuff like bikini destinations or hot lines.

hmm according to antennaweb I'm 67.7 miles from KRON and a bunch of other SF Bay Area locals. Is there an antenna solution that would allow me to pick up these stations? How would that work with my existing OTA setup? I wouldn't mind spending a little cash to get some good additional OTA especially HDNet content.

One of the local channels here in Dallas occasionally runs a sports event feed on their digital frequency from HDNet. But I have not seen any advance notice from KDFI (or HDNet) or the guide being accurate so it is just a guess why this is on. It is the only time I watch this station but have to find it by accident.

theph0xx said:
hmm according to antennaweb I'm 67.7 miles from KRON and a bunch of other SF Bay Area locals. Is there an antenna solution that would allow me to pick up these stations? How would that work with my existing OTA setup? I wouldn't mind spending a little cash to get some good additional OTA especially HDNet content.

It depends if you're mapped for SF of course. Once the new software is available that won't matter. You can check by going to system status and going to the 4th screen where off-air map # is listed. SF should be 0005 because the DMA numbers on http://www.nab.org/Newsroom/Issues/digitaltv/DTVStations.asp match the numbers in the system status in most cases, or so I've heard. If you are mapped to that (or you have the new software) then a new antenna might be able to pick it up. Using multiple antennas is problematic. If your stations are in the same direction as the SF ones (give or take a few degrees) then a long distance directional ought to pick up both. Otherwise there are specific devices to allow multiple antennas to be used without problems. I've seen them mentioned elsewhere in this september forum.

theph0xx said:

Where are you located? I am also about 67 miles from SF in the Central Valley (Manteca). I am waiting with baited breath for the scanning, I have a 14 ft radio shack Channel Master knock off that was rated at 150 miles so I am hoping I can get the sf channels but there are moutains between me and Sutro tower.

VewDew said:
Where are you located? I am also about 67 miles from SF in the Central Valley (Manteca). I am waiting with baited breath for the scanning, I have a 14 ft radio shack Channel Master knock off that was rated at 150 miles so I am hoping I can get the sf channels but there are moutains between me and Sutro tower.

I'm in Davis, CA so I'm coming at the area from a different direction than you. How much was your setup, and let me know if you get it running please! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)