Why am I not getting 3 of the new HD channels??

getagrip15

Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Hi. I've got the America's Top 100 package with the HD package added to that and I'm not getting 3 of the 6 new HD channels. I get MHD, TLC HD, and DISC HD but not Golf HD, Animal Planet HD, and Science HD. Do I have to have a certain package to get all of the new channels? Thanks.

Hi. I've got the America's Top 100 package with the HD package added to that and I'm not getting 3 of the 6 new HD channels. I get MHD, TLC HD, and DISC HD but not Golf HD, Animal Planet HD, and Science HD. Do I have to have a certain package to get all of the new channels? Thanks.
Uh, yeah! You need the same package the SD channel is in to get the HD channel equivalent. e.g. Animal Planet is in AT200, so you need AT200 to get Animal HD.

And :welcome

Ok thanks for the quick reply. Kinda sucks not to just be able to add all the HD channels.
Take that up with the channel or network. It's probably their rules or part of the agreement they have with Dish, DirecTV, and all the cablecos. Is anyone aware of any HD channel that is available from any satellite or cable co that doesn't require a subscription to the related SD channel ?

Is anyone aware of any HD channel that is available from any satellite or cable co that doesn't require a subscription to the related SD channe ?l

Nope they get $$$ to have all the HD

I read somewhere that Directv said they don't pay much if anything extra to carry the HD feed so that would explain why you have to buy the SD channel.

I don't doubt that at all. It's almost like the HD may be "included" for some networks. Somehow, ESPN comes to mind as that NOT being the case though ! :)

The business model for DishNetwork is based on programming tiers.

As SD is phased out the HD channels will merely replace them in the appropriate tier.

If they set it up where everybody gets all the HD channels, soon all the tiers are gone and everyone has only one package choice.

The way they are doing it is really smart business and will allow them to maintain their business model in the forseeable future.