Why are some HD channels in the 70's and again on higher #'s?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

cktb2793

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2006
Just got Direct TV and I noticed that some of the HD channels are on channels 70 through 79. Then the same channels are on again between the 200's to 500's.

Why are there 2 of these channels? Is it because one set is MPEG-2 and the other is MPEG-4? If so, which is which?

Obviously it would use less space to record on the MPEG-4 one's if that's the way they are.........correct?

THANKS

One more question........... What is the Channel T101 that comes on 101 in HD and 239 in SD? I don't see that anywhere on DTV's channel lineup listings.

That is correct, and they are being phased out

DTV has a channel screen indicating that the MPEG-2 feeds for Showtime, HDNet Movies, and Universal HD are getting phased out first. That same info screen says that current HD customers might be eligible for a free dish/receiver upgrade.

Cool ........ thanks everybody. I had DTV up till 3 years ago when I switched to cable for Howard Stern on demand. Wasn't worth it ......... cable sucks.

Glad to be back and love it!!!!! ! have 3 HD DVRS, and 2 SD DVR's for almost $100 month LESS than cable with the same # of boxes and way more HD channles.

I get programing in the lower numbers, but not in the higher ones. I called DirecTv and was told it is nothing to worry about, but I am concerned. If I cannot get Showtime, etc. MPEG 4 now will I be able to get Showtime, etc. after the switch in February?
Mtthyme

I get programing in the lower numbers, but not in the higher ones. I called DirecTv and was told it is nothing to worry about, but I am concerned. If I cannot get Showtime, etc. MPEG 4 now will I be able to get Showtime, etc. after the switch in February?
Mtthyme

You don't mention what hardware you have. You need to have one of the newer HD receivers, the H2Xs non-DVR's or the HR2X HD DVR's and the KaKu band dish. If you don't have those then you need to upgrade in order to continue to receive HD programming.

I have three HDR 20 receivers and an antenna installed by DirecTV last year to receive local channels. I do not know for certain that my dish is KaKu band. How do I tell? When I called D* I was told I had the proper equipment, but I can't find dish information on my account information on their web page.

I have three HDR 20 receivers and an antenna installed by DirecTV last year to receive local channels. I do not know for certain that my dish is KaKu band. How do I tell? When I called D* I was told I had the proper equipment, but I can't find dish information on my account information on their web page.

OK, you've got the correct receivers, your dish needs to be a Slimline, looks like the one at DIRECTV Five LNB Ka/Ku Slim Line Dish Antenna w/ Long and Short Brace for HD Programming (SLSP-F) | SLSP-F [DIRECTV Slim Line] | SLSP-F SLSPF DTV-AT9-LB DTV-AT9-SB dtv DTV-SLREF SLREF-DISH au9s a9s aus au-s slimline slim line slim-line aus9 aus-9 at-

Can you be a bit clearer on what higher number channels you can't receive. If it's just the higher number channels for the 70's that are mirrored on MPEG4 like HBO at 501 and TNT at 245 then you should check your signal readings for the 99(c) satellite, they should be at least in the 70's with upper 80's lower 90's as preferred readings. If they aren't you might need to have your dish aligned better.

Thanks, Rad, I have a slimline 5 dish. I called D* again, and was told that the lower numbers are NOT being phased out. I am still skeptical. I cannot receive 537, 552 nor 259. I was told that some receivers get both 71 and 537, but not all. I still have concerns about the switch in Feb. and my ability to receive HD Showtime and HBO.

Sounds like another CSR that doesn't know WTF they're doing, just tune to channel 77 and it says right on the sceeen that those channels are going away. Maybe try calling the 888-763-7772 number that it shows, tell them you have the right hardware but it's not working and so far nobody at DirecTV can help you.

I followed your suggestion and called again. Finally got someone who knew something. Bottom line, installer is coming Sunday morning with a new dish. Thanks, Rad, for encouraging me to persevere.

Hope things get fixed for you, too bad you have to play CSR roulette to get problems fixed.

Mtthyme

You do understand that the analog cutoff in February has nothing to do with whether or not you get Showtime or any other satellite channel, yes?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)