Why are voOm's Movie Packs are more than Dish/Direct?

jagouar

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 29, 2004
College Station, TX
Im assuming because of E/W feed but and other reason beyond that? Seems they would/should offer just one and match the competarors price....

Ive "had" starz on my account the past few days and Ive been impressed with its content and considered adding it to my account but 20/month for one movie pack is awfully high.

I know most have va va voom but Im on base pack and will stay on base pack because I am still a poor college student and cant afford to drop 80/month for sat service.

I do see for example that Sho and Starz packs also include a 3rd HD channel (TMC and EncoreHD)... I can buy that....

Any recommendations on wether you would rather have Starz E/W and EncoreHD or Sho E/W and TMC-HD?

Probably going to add one in march when I get my dvr... namely pq (most important) and oar are my big wants out of my movie package.

Greed, period. There is no justification for the extra expense, the other providers don't even charge for the HD channel if you buy a package. If they would lower them, I just might purchase one, but at $20/channel, forget it and I can't afford the whole shaVoom.

SUbscribe to all four. Then they are only 10.00 dollars a month. The price structure is obviously geared to entice customers to sub to vavavoom. But on the other hand you get twice the channels as D* or E*.

jagouar said:
I agree it is nice but 90 bucks monthly for programming is a bit much....
I can understand that. In my case, it was a good deal. Before VaVaVoom I used to pay $40 per month for lawn maintenance. When I decided to go upgrade to VaVaVoom I made a deal with myself: do the lawn maintenance myself and use the $40 for VaVaVoom. THe deal turn out to be better because I was also able to reduce the family Blockbuster expenses (~$30/month).

A friend of mine pays $60 a month for cable which might include some premiums, or might not. Certainly no HD -- he doesn't even own a HDTV. Compared to that, $95 a month for VaVaVoom with stb rental and tax, for all the HD I am getting, all the premiums, and all the exclusives with no commercials, is well worth it to me.

I can hardly wait for the DVR and other new HD channels. I am sure I will pay more -- including the DVR on lease if possible. But it will be worth it unless they charge $50/mo for the DVR. Can't happen!

jagouar said:
I do see for example that Sho and Starz packs also include a 3rd HD channel (TMC and EncoreHD)... I can buy that....

Any recommendations on wether you would rather have Starz E/W and EncoreHD or Sho E/W and TMC-HD?

Probably going to add one in march when I get my dvr... namely pq (most important) and oar are my big wants out of my movie package.

if you're looking for movies, stay away from showtime and tmc. they have the worst movie lineup of all the movie packs. starz would have the best lineup for blockbusters and family movies. the biggest problem with starz on voom is the lack of channels. since you have two encores and two starz easts (one hd) you get less different channels in my opinion. also, the action and mystery encore channels show older movies, or movies that are removed from starz after 2-3 months. i'm not saying thats a bad thing, just a fact.

personally, i prefer hbo or cinemax. i definately watch these two more than the other two. but i also like the original programming on hbo (gotta love soprano's and carnevale as well as boxing). showtimes original programming is ok, but not as good as hbo's. it really all depends on what you are interested in.

but if you are shopping primarily for movies, i wouldn't go with showtime. thats just my opinion. but i also have vavavoom. i had the everything pak on cable before hand so i've spoiled myself for a couple years now.

i honesly could care less about the SD movie channels so those dont matter to me... I had HBO when i had dish and will have it again for the 3 months band of brothers 2 airs but I hate HBO... I want movies on my movie channel and not stupid repeats of shows (not a big fan of any of HBO's shows and then air them all the time).

I havent looked much at cinemax but they only have E/W feeds right? Like I said SD movie channels are of 0 importance to me.

I only want the HD movie channels.

For instance.. tonight on Showtime Stargate airs (something I would watch) and yesterday "The Rock" was on Starz...

MattP-bgsu said:
if you're looking for movies, stay away from showtime and tmc. they have the worst movie lineup of all the movie packs. starz would have the best lineup for blockbusters and family movies. the biggest problem with starz on voom is the lack of channels. since you have two encores and two starz easts (one hd) you get less different channels in my opinion. also, the action and mystery encore channels show older movies, or movies that are removed from starz after 2-3 months. i'm not saying thats a bad thing, just a fact.

personally, i prefer hbo or cinemax. i definately watch these two more than the other two. but i also like the original programming on hbo (gotta love soprano's and carnevale as well as boxing). showtimes original programming is ok, but not as good as hbo's. it really all depends on what you are interested in.

but if you are shopping primarily for movies, i wouldn't go with showtime. thats just my opinion. but i also have vavavoom. i had the everything pak on cable before hand so i've spoiled myself for a couple years now.

The problem with the movie channels is that there are too many of them, when it was just HBO and Showtime you really needed both to see all the new movies on them, now with Starz there is just not enough content out there for the main 3, and Showtime seems to be getting the worst of it.
For new movies:
HBO ( and max to a lesser degree )-Warner Brothers, Sony , 20th Century Fox
Showtime ( TMC ) -Paramont, MGM
Starz (Encore )-Universal , Dreamworks , Disney Group-(Pixar, Miramax, etc) and New Line.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)