Why can't Dish Anywhere Plug Ins JUST WORK?!?!

gislands

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 29, 2013
California
About every six months I run into this. Today, I tried to login to Dish Anywhere using Firefox and guess what, it said I needed a new plugin... when the last one was working just fine! And now I can't download it because it says it is "corrupt". So now I am trying to install it using Chrome (which is my preferred browser) but I didn't use it on Chrome in the past because I had some other problem with Dish Anywhere. Dish needs to get their S**t together and not have stupid updates that don't work and probably don't add anything anyways. "If it aint broke don't fix it" as they would say. It's just irritating and I just wanted to vent about it.
On the other hand my iOS Dish Anywhere apps work great.

The issue is that Mozilla started requiring certificates to verify author authenticity and Sling apparently isn't using one (or if they are using one, it is no longer valid).

The fix that KAB mentions sidesteps that requirement.

I'm assuming that all that would be required is a repackaging of the add-on to include a valid certificate.

Here's the notice from Mozilla dated December 1, 2015:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Add-ons/Extension_Signing

Firefox 43 was the first general release to implement Extension Signing and the above wiki article speaks to the fix.

Absolutely nothing to do with DRM.

Not the specific compatibility issue, no. But requiring a proprietary plugin in the first place? Absolutely has to do with DRM.

Please note that the workaround will not work with FireFox 44, no override allowed. Best not to update beyond 43 until the issue is completely resolved.
Is it expected that the "Warn me if this will disable any of my add-ons" feature will help us avoid accidents or should we just turn off automatic updates?

Not the specific compatibility issue, no. But requiring a proprietary plugin in the first place? Absolutely has to do with DRM.
DRM is what makes the world go around. WIthout it, revenues would be scavenged and there would be no impetus to share future efforts.

If you can convince the criminally self-righteous to change their philosophy of entitlement, then you can whine about DRM.

How about the criminal self-righteousness of using the power of the government to enforce the sanctity of something that has no physical existence, essentially creating a state religion?

Reactions: ChadT41
How about the criminal self-righteousness of using the power of the government to enforce the sanctity of something that has no physical existence, essentially creating a state religion?
What do you offer unconditionally that thousands or millions derive direct benefit from?

Comparing intellectual property with state-sponsored religion? How?

Mouse and Hopper

VIP211k Question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)