Why can't dish use RG6 output with HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

splat10

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 23, 2003
Seeing how OTA come in on RG6 i know the HD signal can be carried and decoded. Why can dish use the same strategy they used for whole house on the VIP's but send it out as a HD OTA (like) signal instead. It would still meet a lot of peoples needs and would be able to leverage the RG6 wired houses. It would be nice if we could use the RG 6 in our houses better since it's cheap and easy. I'm sure there are technical (or legal???) reasons I just don't know.

So what's the deal?

I would think that an ATSC RF Modulator would be an easy thing from a technical standpoint. But, I would imagine the difficulty lies in copyright protection insisted on by the studio gestapo, the same lovely people who are behind the current anti-internet-freedom acts floating around in our halls of government right now.

I would think that an ATSC RF Modulator would be an easy thing from a technical standpoint. But, I would imagine the difficulty lies in copyright protection insisted on by the studio gestapo, the same lovely people who are behind the current anti-internet-freedom acts floating around in our halls of government right now.

You would have to add in a MPEG2 encoder (with resultant quality degradation) as well as a modulator, but I think your right - the real problem is with the providers.

The XIP type solutuion is as close as we'll get.

Yeah. I think that the original Dish Model 5000 HD receiver did have an HD over RG6 output. Back in 2002 people used this to connect to HD VCRs and record programming. Dish ended up ending support for that receiver. When dish moved to new Modulation schemes (8PSK?) the old 5000 could not decode the channels and ended up becoming a brick. At the time there was hope that the Dish 921 HD DVR with firewire outputs would succeed the 5000. But the 921 never had its firewire ports enabled and I think even had them taped over.

No external HD recording was supported until the external Hard Drive support arrived with the 942. I'm pretty sure that Dish just wants to leverage their Sling technology when it comes to distributing video to other rooms. They could do this over RG6 using Moca or some other layer 2 over coax technology. But will they? I could not say.

In the meantime many of those same houses wired w/ RG-6 (vs. the "older" RG-59) probably are also wired for data over cat. 5 or 6. A pair of those cables are needed however:

HDMI over Cat5E Extender - Cables To Go

oh how i wish that were the case. maybe my 2006 home is not the norm but i have home runs of rg6 and telephone but not cat 5. must be my electrician was an old guy. At least i got RG6 instead of RG59.

I have always wondered why the modulation was never used as a distribution method over HD when it was very common on SD. Now i think i know and it's not technical, but the content owners being stupid.

Dish did have such a system to retransmit in ATSC to any and all HDTV's in the home on paper, and, I believe as a prototype. All one had to do was tune to the appropriate ATSC channel on the HDTV, and you had a whole home DVR system. But, yes, the content owners don't like ANY unencrypted retransmission of their content, and that was killed. Yes, OP, you are bright, but all the clever, elegant, and inexpensive whole home solutions have all be QUASHED by the content owners and providers. That's why it has take YEARS for DirecTV and Dish to finally get systems that pass muster with the content owners AND have economies that make sense.

Content providers have made it a PITA to do. So ATSC mods cost way too much. I use cat 5 (6) to run from my HD home PC (HDMI) to my AV 7.1 Yamaha receiver. At present time that is about the least expensive way to do it around a house. The other option is component w/ stereo audio but that is a pain to run as it's a 5 wire line. I've done that too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)