Why did I EVER Switch?!

jessshaun

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
Robinson, Illinois, United States
A few years ago, I switched from Dish Network to Directv because where I was living could not see the 129 satellite when I wanted to upgrade to HD programming.

Last months bill from Directv:
03/09 04/08 CHOICE Monthly 58.99
03/09 04/08 HD Access Monthly 10.00
03/09 04/08 DIRECTV DVR Service Monthly 7.00
03/09 04/08 DIRECTV on DEMAND Tune to Ch. 1000 for more info 0.00

03/10 Leased Receiver 5.00
03/10 Leased Receiver 5.00
03/10 Primary Leased Receiver 5.00

03/10 Primary Leased Receiver -5.00 Credit

For a grand total of: $85.99 with 3 receivers.

My bill from Dish Network (just installed Wednesday with Vip722 and Vip612):

Charges for This Month's Service
Mar 24 - Apr 23 Service Plan (15/0) 6.00
Service Plan Cr 1 of 6 - Adjustment -6.00
America's Top 120 With Locals 39.99
12 MO Promo Cr 1 of 12 - Adjustment -15.00
HD Solo DVR Receiver 10.00
HD & Platinum 10.00
For a grand total of $ 44.99 a month

The bill for 2 months of service with Dish Network works out to $89.99.

Again.... why did I ever stay with Directv? I finally have Travel Channel HD, and tons more.... easily more than Directv, and all for tons less. Even after the credits run out, it's still tons cheaper.

I just had to brag. Thanks!

To be fare, the Top 120 has a lot less then Choice pack.
Top 200 for $52.99 is more Equal to Directv Choice pack.
And you forgot to add your $6 DVR fee.
And Top 120 doesn't have your Local RSN's, Choice pack did.

Glad to hear your enjoying it. I am nearing my one year since I did the switch, many said I would be back. Dont think I will price wise they just cost more (even for someone who has more then one reciver and more then one DVR) :)

Though when the HD channels for Direct come online with the new satellite it will be intresting to see what comes up for them (Direct)

Your Bill after your Promo,
$71.99 , Yep $15 Cheaper then D*,
But now you lost your
  • RSN's
  • AMC
  • Animal Planet
  • Disney XD
  • FX
  • Hallmark
  • IFC
  • LMN
  • MLB
  • Nick JR
  • NFL Network
  • Science channel
  • Tru TV
  • TCM
  • WE
And Quite a Few others.
These IMO are worth $15 Difference.

I see your happy to get a lower bill, But your also not even compairing Apples to Apples.
If you would Have said I switch to dish and Got the Top 200 Pack I would have said "Way to go" But not exactly an equal trade.

To be fare, the Top 120 has a lot less then Choice pack.
Top 200 for $52.99 is more Equal to Directv Choice pack.
And you forgot to add your $6 DVR fee.
And Top 120 doesn't have your Local RSN's, Choice pack did.
You beat me to it. I was going to say the same.

For comparison look at the price by package and setup spread sheet I created.

Attachments

• Direct Dish Package Comparisons2.xls
    72 KB · Views: 316
But now you lost your
  • RSN's
  • AMC
  • Animal Planet
  • Disney XD
  • FX
  • Hallmark
  • IFC
  • LMN
  • MLB
  • Nick JR
  • NFL Network
  • Science channel
  • Tru TV
  • TCM
  • WE
And Quite a Few others.

I see your happy to get a lower bill, But your also not even compairing Apples to Apples.
If you would Have said I switch to dish and Got the Top 200 Pack I would have said "Way to go" But not exactly an equal trade.

If one does not watch the channels they are worth 0. Some appreciate a lower bill if they get exactly the channels they want.

If one does not watch the channels they are worth 0. Some appreciate a lower bill if they get exactly the channels they want.
Agreed, but he was not comparing comparable packages and was using promotional pricing. Others reading this thread might think that Dish is actually half the price for the same setup.

But now you lost your
  • RSN's
  • AMC
  • Animal Planet
  • Disney XD
  • FX
  • Hallmark
  • IFC
  • LMN
  • MLB
  • Nick JR
  • NFL Network
  • Science channel
  • Tru TV
  • TCM
  • WE
And Quite a Few others.

oop...yea, your right... forgot the DVR fee. But Out of the channels you posted, the only ones I'd miss are Science channel and NFL network. ...and those channels I can live without. I've done the same argument. Saying that the top 200 is more equal to choice, but I'm more than happy with saving money right now. Besides.... let's face it... times are tough right now.

Agree Top 120 is a good value.
D* has nothing to compair to it.
Select is a joke for $39.99

It is the price DIRECTV pays for YES.

To recap the thread: if a provider has a lower priced package that suits your needs, it might be a good deal for you.

It's too bad Both can't make up tiers that are based on personal choice. I'm not saying a la carte but rather a selection such as these 30 channels plus 30 of your own choosing for one tier. A second tier that is these 40 channels plus 50 of your own choosing. etc.

Please, I understand the reasons why they don't, just saying it would be nice to have something like that. As it stands now, to state it is a choice, is not necessarily my choice but the group is my choice. What's in those groups is their choice. My plan has a compromise to satisfy both requirements.

The general point is that Dish has options for lower priced tiers where DirecTV's tiers start out pretty high. This becomes an extremely important option when the family budget must take a cut in the cost of TV or when one MUST downgrade (to as low as the Family Pack, I believe) to keep the house, feed the kids but still have some TV and be within the commitment contract with Dish. DirecTV is a good service, but it really is for the very affluent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)