Why did you leave cable for dish??

danwolf101

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
I left comcast cable for the lack of channels and the continued rise in price with no new channels.And I always had the ghosting of channels.Dish gives me 180 channels with the dvr and 4 room setup for 10 dollars more then comcast.And all I got with comcast was 70 plus channels.

What is your story?

i actually left dish for cable, then left cable for fios.

left cable for the special year program, and the mismanagment by dish at the time. left cable for fios because of the picture quailty.

$125 a month for cable and RR

$90 for Dish + $35 for RR = $125

about 40 more channels, including Showtime and Starz

one outage, last 2 mins, during a bad rainstorm, so far.....last year w/Time Warner, at least 5 outages of 2 hrs or more

My cable boxes would keep resetting themselves. This was explained to be "normal" even though my parents live 1 mile away, and their exact same boxes have never done such a thing in the past 15 years. Where I lived before here, 2 miles away, my boxes never did such a thing either. 12 times TW came out to check the system, and they never found an answer, except, to start calling it "normal."

Call them right now, call them at 3 am, call them at 3pm, guaranteed to be on hold for a good 10 mins

Shall I go on?

Always despised the local cable/phone monopoly (Comporium in York County, SC), but final straw was when I moved to HD, and after a month of wasted service calls and multiple departments blaming each other, no one could get any of the digital channels to work properly in my house, HD or SD. In the end, they didn't care and stopped even returning my phone calls. Bunch of rip-off artists that think they know what's best for everyone. :mad:

I may get upset with E* from time to time, but on their worst day, they are better than these losers (can you tell I done care for them?!?)

ddddollars

Comcast was a lot more expensive in my area. When I replaced my 19" tv with an hdtv, I wanted some hd programming, and dish made the most sense. I'm paying five dollars less now for dish with hd than I had been for analog cable.

To be fair, though, I definitely liked my basic channel lineup better with Comcast. E* has too many wasted channels. I don't know the last time I sat down and really watched the "Congratulations! You have a Dish 500" channel, or the hd demo channel, or the 2 (TWO!) channels that are dedicated to telling you what channels the free previews are on...

I left becuase even though i live in northern illinois my cable company only offered me fsn wisconsin so i could only watch brewers games. Dish had FSN (which is now CSN) Chicago. And it costs less.

Left cable for Voom to get HD. Over a year later I went back to cable when Voom died. Soon after that I was scheduling a Dish Network install.

The cable company was cheaper, but the picture quality was lousy, they had very limited HD offerings (not even all the locals!), the HD-DVR was very limited, and the customer service was horrible. The only possible advantage of cable was On-Demand service, but that didn't work 3 out of 4 times, so was no advantage at all.

CDH.

Outages they would last 2 hours to two days.

Being put on hold for hours to get something fixed.

Then the last straw - going to HD my combined cable/internet bill was going to be $200.00 a month.

When I moved into my new home, the entire neighborhood had not yet been wired for CableTV. It took about 2 months before Comcast began to offer service in my neighbordhood. As you can imagine nearly every house on the streets around here has a Dish on the roof (and I'm not kidding).

This was the Summer of 2000, and I had never ever seen PQ as clear as Dish Network had. Plus more channels, and a cool EPG, and a very decent price. Comcast sent folks out later once they had discovered our neighborhood existed and I pretty much told them that they didn't have a chance with me.

I did later sub to their HSI, but and $60/mo I dropped them once DSL was available @ $30/mo. I will profess that Comcast's service for HSI in my area was excellent and every call to them met expectations.

Still I have friends that have Comcast for HD and while the PQ looks ok, I still see Dish Network as the tech leader and offering more satisfaction to a TV early adopter like me. Plus the software on Comcast's Motorola boxes is awkward in my opinion. I've read about all the complaints about Dish's STBs here, but my experience has been very positive. The only turd I've had was the Dish 6000, which worked as designed, it was just a poor design.

Its just a shame that Dish's SD PQ has suffered so badly from where it once was. It really was breathe taking back in 2000.

Left worthless Podunk cable 7 years ago because...

Frequent outages.

Poor service - Nothing was ever their fault

Lousy channel selection

Abysmal PQ.

They have more channels now and have changed their name 2 or 3 times but nothing else has. No HD at present or planned.

NightRyder

Picture quality and price. I got tired of looking at Time Warner's snowy analog channels. When you go digital not all of the channels were digital, the lower channels where still analog -- not 100% digital.

Left cable a long time ago. Viacom was very slow to offer new products. When ATT took over the menu prompt was designed so there was no option for customer service. Dish was much more responsive and cheaper to boot. Viacom/ATT soured me on cable. Being able to get through to an advanced tech is a big reason why I don't think I'll leave Dish ever for cable. But if FIOS is available locally at the end of my lease committment I will weigh the choices.

Local cable company has crappy signal and crappy service. They just don't care. I got E* several years but kept lifeline cable for the locals. The hurricane "IVAN" was the final straw (no service for over a week), plus locals on E* were cheaper anyway.

I left Dish for Cable, my Cable has Digital Simulcasting which means 100% digital.

Plus I am 2 1/2 miles from the cable head end so even the Analog looks better than Dish SD.

The HD is not HD Lite like Dish. I get the same HD channels except for ESPN-2 VOOM and National Geo channel.

Bottom line is it all depends on your Neighboor hood when comparing Dish with Cable. Every place will be different and it may change year to year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)