Why didn't I think of this earlier?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ocaddict

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 5, 2004
Atlanta
So I've been running my 721 in the living room and recently upgraded to the 921 that so many of us love. I've been using a DP34 and running 1 line to a wall outlet connecting to my bedroom, running a 508 receiver. So I'm thinking, hmm...maybe I can save a 5$ per/mo receiver fee and just run coax straight from the 921, through the wall, to my 13" bedroom tv. Specially since the sweetass remote is UHF and all I gotta do is carry it to the bed with me at night, hit the HD/SD button and I'm cooking with Crisco. Of course I'm single, don't have a wife, or kids to worry about so no worries there. I think I'm gonna put my 508 up on ebay and save me $5 a month in the extra receiver fee. I know this may not seem like much to most of you, but I think it's a pretty sweet deal. Anyone else doing something similar?

ocaddict,

I have a 921 in my HT and even though I have a DP7200 in my bedroom upstairs, I run a coax from the 921 also to that bedroom TV. This gives me two additional tuners in the bedroom and allows me to start watching something downstairs and finish watching it in bed. It also allows my son to record his favorite programs on the 7200 upstairs without any conflicts with my recordings. The setup works great for me and I'm sure you'll find that it works better for you AND you get to save some money. My only advice to you is to buy another remote control. Besides not having to go up and down the stairs for the remote, you can program each remote to work with the TV's in each room.

I have a similar setup to what you want. I have my 921 in my living room, where I use a universal remote for everything. Then I have coax to the bedroom TV, which is where I use the bundled UHF remote. Since I usually leave the 921 in SD mode for SD viewing anyways (for convenience reasons related to how my TV works), I often just walk into my bedroom and turn on the TV to pick up where I left off. Pretty convenient, and no extra $5/mo.

BTW, I believe you can buy an extra UHF remote on ebay relatively inexpensively so you don't have to carry your remote back and forth.

Very cool. I love hearing from you guys with similar setups. It just makes too much sense not to do it! Also, I was reading the manual (don't tell anyone) and realized you can hold down the OUTPUT button for 3 seconds and the 921 will output both HD and SD inputs simultaneously (although HD is only output at 480p). The manual calls it safemode. A neet option if you need or want to watch both TV's at the same time.

ocaddict said:
Very cool. I love hearing from you guys with similar setups. It just makes too much sense not to do it! Also, I was reading the manual (don't tell anyone) and realized you can hold down the OUTPUT button for 3 seconds and the 921 will output both HD and SD inputs simultaneously (although HD is only output at 480p). The manual calls it safemode. A neet option if you need or want to watch both TV's at the same time.
I also watch my BR TV via coax from the receiver in the family rm. Did pick up another remote so each one is programmed for the equipment in each rm.
If you output both HD &SD at the same time remember to go back into the setup menu later to switch output in HD to 1080i (or 720p). It doesn't switch back automatically.
ED

I'm the only one at my house at the moment, and my setup is as follows: 522, 921, free-to-air (FTA) sat receiver, standalone OTA HD receiver, VCR, 5-disc DVD player, all in one location and outputs being combined onto my house's cable wiring. The 921 is set to output on Ch. 4. The 522 is Ch. 60. The FTA is going through a modulator on Ch. 50. The VCR is going through another modulator on Ch. 40. The DVD player's output goes through the VCR's line input although most of the time I just leave my VCR tuned to an OTA station. The standalone HD receiver is just going into my main TV but that could change with another modulator at any time. :)

The 522 came with two remotes, the UHF one is always in my bedroom. I carry the 921 remote between the bedroom and rec room whenever I need to--I figure a little extra climbing steps won't kill me. ;) The FTA receiver always stays tuned to my free music videos channel (The Tube). I very rarely watch any VHS or DVD stuff (it's all about having the time...).

I guess I buck the trend here, I have my 921 in the livingroom hooked to a Replay along with a D* sd receiver. I have a 6000u in my Ht room hooked to a Replay and I have a Replay hooked to no receivers but networked soon to be moved to the bedroom. All the Replays are networked and I have 3 pc's that will Network with them using a program called dvarchive.( although I can only run 1 pc at a time as Replays freak if there are more than 4 on the network)I can stream from any of the pc's if dvarchive is on or stream from any of the Replays and can resume watching a program at same point in either place...or can have same program playing from same Replay but at different points...

Why have more than 1 replay. AND why have a replay when you have a 921 capable of DVR storing much more than a Replay? You cannot POSSIBLY have that much time on your hands to watch THAT much recorded shiz.... Can ya?

ocaddict said:
Why have more than 1 replay. AND why have a replay when you have a 921 capable of DVR storing much more than a Replay? You cannot POSSIBLY have that much time on your hands to watch THAT much recorded shiz.... Can ya?
Archive stuff I wanna keep to Replay ...:) and with my schedule I work 14 to 15 days a month...(12 hour shifts) so I catch up when off (on 7 days off now)... and the flexability of streaming from 1 to another Replay is why I have more than 1...plus I'm a packrat for video...:D

dfergie said:
Archive stuff I wanna keep to Replay ...:) and with my schedule I work 14 to 15 days a month...(12 hour shifts) so I catch up when off (on 7 days off now)... and the flexability of streaming from 1 to another Replay is why I have more than 1...

Sounds good I guess. But why have a 921 then? Why spend all that jack when an 811 would do just as well for you?

20hrs of HD recording? Hardly enough for a hardcore junkie like yourself! :D 811 has optical as well. Your setup seems to work well for ya though and lets face it, that's all that matters. I guess I'm just in "minimalist" mode. I got tired of having stacks and stacks of components. So now I only have 2. My all-in-one Panasonic 5-disc DVD changer/5.1 HT setup, and my 921. Looks tight and sounds tight.

ocaddict said:
20hrs of HD recording? Hardly enough for a hardcore junkie like yourself! :D 811 has optical as well. Your setup seems to work well for ya though and lets face it, that's all that matters. I guess I'm just in "minimalist" mode. I got tired of having stacks and stacks of components. So now I only have 2. My all-in-one Panasonic 5-disc DVD changer/5.1 HT setup, and my 921. Looks tight and sounds tight.
I almost bought the Panny 5 disc last week... had one die and I want the dvdram ava as I have a panny dmr e30 dvd recorder (pre Replay)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)