Why do I need a technician to install a VIP922?

sofakng

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 5, 2006
I'm just curious but why do I need a technician to install a VIP922? Isn't it essentially disconnecting/reconnecting the cables and activating the receiver via customer service?

I'd love to avoid having to take time off from work to wait for the installer. (installers are *ALWAYS* several hours late for me; it's not just Dish Network though... it's all service-related appointments)

Also, regarding the VIP922, can I record two programs + one OTA show, or can I only record two shows at one time regardless of OTA/antenna?

Woah. That's pretty neat!

You can still watch something pre-recorded even while recording all four programs, right?

It's a little complex to install. More-so than a 722. If you are cofident you can do it, tell the rep that. Worse case you can get it in the mail and if you can't figure it out then have a tech come out...

The Dish folks think it is a very complicated install. When I got mine last year the tech had never installed one. And had never had a class on installing one. And when they sent a tech out to troubleshoot a couple of months later he had never installed one. But the 3 replacements have all arrived via UPS for me to install. If you have ever installed any Dish DVR and connected computers, DVRs, etc to your LAN then you probably don't need a tech. But Dish will not send your initial 922 for you to install. A local dealer might, I don't know.

And yes, you can record 2 sat + 2 OTA (with the OTA module) and watch a recorded program.

Most customers need a tech to install it as many need a DISH upgrade which also help make the install easier thanks to DISHPro Plug technology. :)

Think of it as a tune up of your system not just a receiver upgrade.

If you already have an HD dish and an HD rec at that location, is not hard to setup, almost the same as any duo rec. It does take a lot longer to to download and activate.

Techs are available for installs 365 days a year. They are usually late because they are always overbooked.

Thanks for the information everybody.

I just had a technician replace a dish on my roof because I moved to an "Eastern Arc" setup (to receive the new HD channels) so I don't think my system needs a tune-up but if that's Dish Network's policy then what can I do. Not a big deal but I just wish I could plug in the cables myself and save everybody some time :)

Becasue most are thumbs at it, every one, including those who can do this better than some techs must bow to Dish's wishes. I can see it with a new antenna system, but for the receiver, I think it should be left to us. Heck, I currently do contract work for a broadcast network at home including test equipment, show acquistion, and other things. Came off doeing satellite installs for them and taking care of all digital equpment from switchers to transmitters. But I must wait for a technician, too. :ast one (not dish) left all his test equipment behind.. including a spectrum analyzer. I did return them...this time.

Becasue most are thumbs at it, every one, including those who can do this better than some techs must bow to Dish's wishes. I can see it with a new antenna system, but for the receiver, I think it should be left to us. Heck, I currently do contract work for a broadcast network at home including test equipment, show acquistion, and other things. Came off doeing satellite installs for them and taking care of all digital equpment from switchers to transmitters. But I must wait for a technician, too. :ast one (not dish) left all his test equipment behind.. including a spectrum analyzer. I did return them...this time.

Spectrum Analyzer, what spectrum analyzer, I didn't see a spectrum analyzer. :rolleyes: just had to say that couldn't stop myself. :D

In response to some peoples responses and to add to what Scott said, I have been to many homes that got rcvrs in the mail. Some of the customers I would consider rather tech savy. They can't get past a sw screen, put the connections in the wrong places, have low signal strength, bad connectors... The list goes on. If you have the time, it's never a bad idea to have a tech out for a rcvr swap. Just my $.02.

Thanks again for all of the advice.

Now I'm having second thoughts about the VIP922 (versus trying to find a 722k).

Anyways, thanks a lot for the help!

Dish requires the 922 have an broadband internet connection as that is needed for many of the unique functions. Supposedly, Dish will NOT allow an install of a 922 without a broadband internet connection. I believe the tiles update and cover art and all kinds of data--small bits--using your internet connection for the unique 922 experience. And it is a new, finicky box and Dish wants to be certain that it gets installed correctly rather than take the chance the customer may not know what they are doing or in any other way create a diminished 922 experience and become angry at Dish, even though the customer may have botched the install. Of course, there are a few installers who can still mess things up, but Dish wants to be responsible for the install and be able to stand behind it, especially for RMA request.

Well, I'm reading the 922 forum and it looks like it has a lot of issues and it seems like most people recommend the 722k over the 922.

For example, I've heard it often doesn't record properly and the Sling functionality doesn't work very well. I hope that's not true?

Well, I'm reading the 922 forum and it looks like it has a lot of issues and it seems like most people recommend the 722k over the 922.

For example, I've heard it often doesn't record properly and the Sling functionality doesn't work very well. I hope that's not true?

They are right. The 922 doesn't always record correctly nor does it do sling well. In my 7 months of experience with the receiver , it never did. It got better towards the end ,before I traded it back in for a 722k, but it was never reliable on my recordings on 4 shows at a time. The sling picture looked like crap on my computer. Now the 722k with a sling adapter looks great, right off the bat. I have had no problems slinging anything using the adapter. The 922 is still not ready for prime-time.

I have always been one to do my own installs if at all possible, but ended up glad that a tech installed mine. The tech actually had a lot of experience with the 922, and knew all the right steps to speed up the process etc. Since he was a capable tech, his overall check of my system was reassuring as well. And, I called dish on Friday to get the receiver and it was installed on Sunday at 8 AM.

As far as Sling is concerned, it is still too buggy to be a reliable way to watch TV on a routine basis. I consider it usable if you are patient with it and nurse it along. I find that my Sling adapter on my 722 doesn't work much different than the Sling from the 922. I really like the 922 for it's overall features and interface. It costs more bucks, but it is worth it for me. May not be for some...

Well, I've gone ahead and ordered a brand new 722k (non-leased). Hopefully I made the right decision.

By the way, what's the difference between the 722k and the 622? I know the HDD is bigger (1 TB) but is it all available or use or does it reserve half of it for VOD? Also, I think I read that the 722k (and 922) offer HD VOD where-as the 622 didn't?

The ViP722(k) is black. Yes, it has a larger HDD. Yes part is reserved for VOD. PLUS, and this is overlooked, the chipset is improved over the ViP622. And the ViP722k can record Two OTA programs (with optional module) vice the ViP622 & ViP722 being able to record only one.

How much is reserved for VOD?

Is the "user recordable" storage space the same as the 622? (ie. 500 GB)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)