Why do some networks have 2 channel assignments??

AngryStamen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 18, 2007
Just curious...for example, TNT-HD is on 138 and 9420, and ESPN-HD is on 140 and 9424, etc, etc. Any rhyme or reason for this? Also, I think some channels ONLY exist on a 9000 channel, although i could be wrong...can anyone confirm/deny that?

Thanks for your help!

They're not duplicates, no bandwidth is wasted. The 9000 series is the HD block, more or less. The lower channel #s are SD. The system is set up to show that lower number in both SD & HD versions, so you can pick which to watch/record, and still be located where you're "used to" seeing the channel. You can tweak your settings to show or not show this. Plus, you can do favorites.

They're not duplicates, no bandwidth is wasted. The 9000 series is the HD block, more or less. The lower channel #s are SD. The system is set up to show that lower number in both SD & HD versions, so you can pick which to watch/record, and still be located where you're "used to" seeing the channel. You can tweak your settings to show or not show this. Plus, you can do favorites.

That makes sense, but are there any networks that exist only in the 9000 series of channels, and not on a lower channel number?

That makes sense, but are there any networks that exist only in the 9000 series of channels, and not on a lower channel number?
I dont think so. The hd channels that dont have sd counterparts are also in the 300's range. For example Palladia is 9469 and since it doesnt have a sd version it is also 369.

MAVHD at 9465 and some of the NBA channels, though I may have missed the mapdowns. Also the Alaska/Hawaii package in the 5500 range has no mapdown.

There are some that exist only as a low channel number (Smithsonian, MGM, PPVs and a few RSNs).

See EKB: HD Channels

"They're not duplicates, no bandwidth is wasted. The 9000 series is the HD block, more or less. The lower channel #s are SD. The system is set up to show that lower number in both SD & HD versions, so you can pick which to watch/record, and still be located where you're "used to" seeing the channel. You can tweak your settings to show or not show this. Plus, you can do favorites."

How do you "tweak the settings" to not show this?

You can discontinue the map downs under the local channel menu, but note, that if you implement this change you will lose any Season Passes that you have setup for those lower number HD channels. The higher numbers cannot be changed. It is better to setup a Favorites List for those channels that you watch and leave the mapdowns alone.

You can discontinue the map downs under the local channel menu, but note, that if you implement this change you will lose any Season Passes that you have setup for those lower number HD channels. The higher numbers cannot be changed. It is better to setup a Favorites List for those channels that you watch and leave the mapdowns alone.

Or you can lock your system using channel locks and selecting to hide the locked channels.

Back in the old days, Dish had many receivers like the Dish 6000 which did not support the "OpenTV" software. That software was used to "remap" channel numbers. At first this was used for your local network affliates. Every broadcast channel would have its own channel number (up in the 8000s, or 700s if you have really been around for a while), but since Ch 4 in your market is a different from the ch4 in all of the other markets it could not just outright be sent on Dish's ch 4. So dish figured out a way using "OpenTV" to remap local channels according to your local's market. Of course your guide still displayed the original "source" channel as well as your newly created "remap" channel in the more convinent location.

Now flash forward a couple of years, and Dish is adding HD. They have many of the HD channels soley up in the awkward 9400 range. As new channels are launched, many of them are simulcasts of their SD counter parts. So Dish wisely re-uses this remap feature to give these HD the same ch number which people are familiar with. But of course the source ch still remains in the guide if for any reason to maintain any existing timers or locks.

As for those you don't like the "all ch" and "all sub" or even "all HD" guides that include all the channels, or all the subs, or all the HD, the answer is simple and has been around since day one. Custom Guides. If you don't want to see "all" then don't see all. Spend a few moments editing a custom list that does include what you want and excludes what you don't want. The solution to your problem is right there and its the best solution in this situation. You have full control to fix your own problem and make things the way that you like them.

I found that I wanted to spend my time watching the programming rather than setting up favorites list and keeping it updated with new additions, etc.

In the grand scheme of things, it isn't a big deal at all.

I find it VERY handy to have both the 94xx channel numbers and the mapdown numbers.
When reccord back to back shows on a "channel" I can use the 94xx number for one of the recordings and the mapdown number for the other forcing the receiver to use both tuners.

The V* channels, when they existed, were only in the 94xx range, which I think is why a lot of people didn't even know they were there.

I used to just turn the map down off but after the premiums were added 94xx was too jumbled for me.

I think Directv uses the same channel numbers for SD and HD, the HD has -01 after it.

Local cable uses 7xx for HD, all of the channel numbers are the same but have a leading 7.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)