Why do you have to have at least one joey

dishfan82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 18, 2012
clinton Township
When I called to ask about swapping out the Joey for hopper, the lady said sure I can go ahead and do that for you . I asked like 4 times can this be done without having a Joey on the account and she said yes. Dish guy shows up today and says well we have a problem , we can't give you a 2nd hopper without having a Joey . Please respond back to me DIRT team and let me know if this is possible?? Anyone else have just two hoppers??

I don't think there is a technical reason you need a joey, but I could be wrong on that. I was thinking about switching to hopper and really have little use for a 1 h / 1 j setup. When I inquired about a 2 hopper only setup I was told I can only get a 2nd hopper if I get an h/j config first.

I think it is like the issue with not allowing the tailgater system on the same account. The folks who developed the business rules for the software never imagined people wanting 2 hoppers only. Perhaps by allowing it Dish would admit there are people who see the need for more than 3 tuners split among 2 tvs.

Miner

There is no reason why you can not have 2 Hoppers and no Joeys. Their reasoning before was you couldn't because it was technically not a whole home solution since the two Hoppers wouldn't communicate. Now that the Hoppers communicate I see no reason why a customer could not have 2 Hoppers and no Joeys. Could just be a thing in Dish's system that doesn't allow it.

Claude Greiner said:
Why don't you just get the HR34 from Directv and then you would have 5 tuners and no need for 2 hoppers.

I had directv before, never again. I like the hopper but just wanted more recording space.

Personally I would try to resolve up front, but worst case - take the joey and return it next week. I know a couple of folks who have done this instead of going through the grief up front. The returns were painless.

Did the question ever get settled, can you have ONE Hopper and no Joeys without jumping through hoops?

I want 2 hoppers and no joeys but they said their system won't allow that. Not sure if it's possible .

It must be possible. I got two Hoppers/no Joeys with a new install on May 7. The installer showed up with one Hopper/one Joey for my install. I told him I wanted two Hoppers. He called Dish, handed the phone to me, the CSR verified my credit card number and I got two Hoppers installed. If it worked for me, it should work for you.

I want 2 hoppers and no joeys but they said their system won't allow that. Not sure if it's possible .

Best bet: Go thru a local dealer, not Dish. That's my plan, when & if I move to Hopper. I expect I will.

I got (purchased) a third Hopper and no extra Joey, so now I have 3H/2J. In your scenario I would try ordering an extra Hopper + Joey, then when the installer comes, tell him to take the Joey back with him. If he gives you a problem, just tell him to activate the Hopper and take the Joey back with him. It can be done. If he doesn't think it can be done, then he's not a very good installer.

I think this crap with Dish pushing 1H/3J setups or whatever is just insane. Even worse is when they tell everyone you can record 6 shows at once. We have 4 TVs in our household, and 2 Hoppers weren't even enough. Do they really want people regretting their setup because they're always having to deal with conflicts? Then again, I guess since people are under a contract, it doesn't matter much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)