Why does Bell look much better than Dish HD?

miguelaqui

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
I do not understand this....Dish claims to have the best HD, but if you compare the picture to Bell, Bell's HD DVR looks much better, on both satellite and off-air.

Why is this? Does it have to do with the compression rate? Is Dish so much more compressed that Bell looks a alot better?

Is DirecTv's HD DVR any better?

I do not understand this....Dish claims to have the best HD, but if you compare the picture to Bell, Bell's HD DVR looks much better, on both satellite and off-air.

Why is this? Does it have to do with the compression rate? Is Dish so much more compressed that Bell looks a alot better?

Is DirecTv's HD DVR any better?
Largely because there are no standards covering horizontal resolution for the DBS community when it comes to HD. DirecTV pioneered downrezzing the signal some years ago and Dish Network followed by doing the same in 2005, which is the last time E* offered HD. Instead, they began offering DishHD and subsequently the TurboHD products that are something less than 1920x1080 or 1280x720.

Of course, there are dozens of factors which affect HD picture quality, but the E* fanboys will tell you something different (your eyes, your set, you're mistaken, etc.). Just let your own eyes be the judge.:cool:

Bell compresses more than Dish. They also take shows that are originally 1080i and convert them to 720p which results in further degradation.

But if it looks better to you.....

Directv beats them both for PQ.

I lost my Bell coverage years ago; so now I have *Choice. Their 530 DVR only has a component connection. That has a better picture, than Dish, with a HDMI connection. It must be compression?

One thing you have to remember...

*Choice or Shaw whatever is also supplying feeds to cable headends so naturally they compress less. In a somewhat unbiased test on my TV I have tested network feeds (golf) on SC with component out and my DN 211 with HDMI. I notice very little, if any difference. Mind you, they are feeds from different cities also which could account for something.

Steve

I lost my Bell coverage years ago; so now I have *Choice. Their 530 DVR only has a component connection. That has a better picture, than Dish, with a HDMI connection. It must be compression?

clapple,

The 530 also has a DVI video connection. That can be connected to a HDMI input on your TV with a converter cable. It's not a HDCP compliant connection, however, so your TV or receiver may not accept the input. Mine doesn't, so I can't comment on the quality.

HTH

clapple,

The 530 also has a DVI video connection. That can be connected to a HDMI input on your TV with a converter cable. It's not a HDCP compliant connection, however, so your TV or receiver may not accept the input. Mine doesn't, so I can't comment on the quality.

HTH

Thanks for the info; but I am very happy with the picture I now have.