Why does DirecTV always carry a CW network (even if a distant one), but with Dish...

May I add that when Dish had Superstations, the affiliates were CW and MyNetworkTV. The reason being is that those two stations are part of the Big Six.
The reason being that those particular individual stations are designated by law as Superstations, regardless of their network affiliation or lack thereof. When one of them went independent for awhile, it continued to be carried as a Superstation. The only thing that would cause those stations to lose Superstation status would be if they affiliated with one of the Big Four.

Reactions: Peter Parker
The reason being that those particular individual stations are designated by law as Superstations, regardless of their network affiliation or lack thereof. When one of them went independent for awhile, it continued to be carried as a Superstation. The only thing that would cause those stations to lose Superstation status would be if they affiliated with one of the Big Four.

right and BTW DISH still has the Superstations. They do not sell them to new customers but many of us are graddfathered in. In addition for a period of time one was actually an independent. Not affilaited with either the CW or MyNetwork.

Reactions: pattykay

Independent? Yes. But any other network other than CW or MyNetworkTV? No.

Not really. WGN is considered a Superstation.

MyNetworkTV was one of the two networks that replaced WB and UPN after they merged. That’s why it’s part of the Big Six.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!
MyNetworkTV is technically a syndication service that FOX created in angst when UPN and The WB merged, resulting in many of its owned locals that were affiliated with either network being locked out of the CW. The CW went predominantly to the better rated Tribune or CBS owned WB or UPN affielate. In many cases, that left the FOX owned local as an independent.

MyNetworkTV is technically a syndication service that FOX created in angst when UPN and The WB merged, resulting in many of its owned locals that were affiliated with either network being locked out of the CW. The CW went predominantly to the better rated Tribune or CBS owned WB or UPN affielate. In many cases, that left the FOX owned local as an independent.

Actually, when MyNetworkTV launched, they originally had their own original shows. However, the shows were so low-rated that they started syndicating other network shows instead a few years later.

Last edited:

Regardless, Iceberg was the most knowledgeable poster on these boards and a few years ago (something like 2014 or 2015) I KNOW he (and a couple others) posted this about the Big Six in the OTA boards. I remember asking him a couple questions about it.

I think the term your looking for is significantly viewed.

If a network out of a DMA is significantly viewed out of market in an adjacent DMA, I believe either dish or Directv is allowed to offer the distant network.

Not 100% sure but I think a distant network can also be brought in where there is no network available. For example if your DMA does not have ABC, they can bring in ABC from an adjacent DMA.

As far as Dish not offering a network Directv has its all about money. You offer a network they expect to get paid retransmission fees.

So unless a significantly viewed network has a sports team, or something that would be in great demand chances are Dish won’t be carrying the channel because Dish as usual is trying to save money.

I've always wondered about this too. The CW, not MyNetworkTV. In Lafayette, IN we used to get WRTV, WXIN and WTHR imported from Indianapolis as we only have a CBS affiliate here. Now we actually have our own affiliates for all of the big 4, although NBC and ABC air on digital subnets (16.1, 16.2, 16.3). They never offered the Indy CW station to us though. Now we actually have a CW affiliate in Lafayette, although it resides on 18.2 and they don't offer it I'm assuming because it's a subnet. Likewise we also have an Ion affiliate on 18.3 they don't give us, not that anyone actually cares. I still have the superstations pack, so none of it really matters, but it is kinda weird how Dish handles this.

I have Dish and get two PBS stations. One in Florida and one in Alabama! Both are in my local broadcast area.
I also have 2 PBS Channels. We also do not have a local CW, but the Distant CW. I am thinking it is out of New York. I am not sure if Directv has a local CW out of Terre Haute, Indiana. I do know, that Mediacom Cable does pick up the CW, but it is out of Indianapolis.

I've always wondered about this too. The CW, not MyNetworkTV. In Lafayette, IN we used to get WRTV, WXIN and WTHR imported from Indianapolis as we only have a CBS affiliate here. Now we actually have our own affiliates for all of the big 4, although NBC and ABC air on digital subnets (16.1, 16.2, 16.3). They never offered the Indy CW station to us though. Now we actually have a CW affiliate in Lafayette, although it resides on 18.2 and they don't offer it I'm assuming because it's a subnet. Likewise we also have an Ion affiliate on 18.3 they don't give us, not that anyone actually cares. I still have the superstations pack, so none of it really matters, but it is kinda weird how Dish handles this.
You also have Dish? Our Locals are out of Terre Haute, Indiana. But, the CW is out of New York or New Jersey!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)