Why does it shutoff TV2 every night?

RedHat39

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
In our bedroom we have TV2. This TV runs 24 hours a day everyday. I've just had my 522 for a few days now but I've noticed that when it does its guide update it shuts off the signal to TV2 causing the TV to only get snow/static. Why is that? Is there anything I can do to prevent it? Its very annoying to be awakened at 4am, (when the updates are scheduled).

It comes from living in the city and not wanting to hear the city life when we go to bed. We usually tune in to one of the music video channels and let that over come the city noise. But thats neither here nor there. The problem is the receiver shutting off signal to TV2 and causing static/white noise in the middle of the night.

I guess as a last resort option I could hook up an X10 controller that will shut the TV off for a while and then turn it back on once the 522 is finished with its reboot.

The 522 has to use a tuner to get it's data. Do you turn the TV1 tuner off, or just it's TV? I suspect you leave it on. If Tuner #1 is off, the 522 might use that one to get it's data, leaving you to listen to night music in peace. :)

I've scheduled mine for 2:30 in the afternoon when I am at work. BTW- have you heard of those radios that play white noise or bubbling streams or something peaceful like that?

Last night I set the timer to 10 mins ahead of the current time so I could see what it does. When the time came a screen popped up on TV1 stating the DVR needed to "reboot to look for software updates". I was given 3 choices "yes", "options", "cancel". I chose options and the choices there were to either continue with the reboot or cancel the reboot.

So now my question is is this "reboot to look for software updates" not the program guide data and an actual look for the DVR's software version updates? I can't see why the system would need to reboot just for program guide data, unless its only stored in NVRAM and needs to be reloaded by reboot.

I wonder if the 522 has been given the forced daily reboot "feature" that was recently (L185) added to the 921. In the 921 they do it to 'hide' the memory leak issues.

I just went into my update setting and changed it to 5:20pm. I thought it just downloaded / updated the program guide but I got the "software upgrade" message also with yes, no, cancel options. I imagine if the tuners are *off* at the time, it would get them without prompting. I mean, who's gonna see the prompt ?? :)

This was one of my complaints (the last one) from the thread I started. They don't release software updates often enough to require a check every night. So you can just disable the daily check/reboot, but then you lose the daily updated guide data because it gets the guide right after the reboot. And I think Simon is right on about why it does it that way. I turned off the daily update and figured I'd just manually reboot the unit when it was convenient for me in order to update the guide. But after a few days the menus became painfully slow. So I think there's more to the reboot than a genuine interest in getting software updates. I've seen posts where people recommend a manual reboot once a week to keep the thing in top condition, but I don't think once a week is enough. And I already tried to see if one tuner or the other being on or off made a difference. It didn't. When update time comes, it wants to reboot no matter which tuner is in use.

I'm having the same problem

It started like a week ago i noticed that my receiver would cut off at 3 every morning it would wake me up because tv2 is in my bedroom and the static would be loud. so finally i went and looked at tv1 this morning once i was awakened and it said something about doing hard drive diagnostics. Has it been doing this every day. I can't figure out how to stop it. Where do you go to change the update schedule

jamidd said:
It started like a week ago i noticed that my receiver would cut off at 3 every morning it would wake me up because tv2 is in my bedroom and the static would be loud. so finally i went and looked at tv1 this morning once i was awakened and it said something about doing hard drive diagnostics. Has it been doing this every day. I can't figure out how to stop it. Where do you go to change the update schedule
Menu, 8 (Preferences), 5 (Updates).

jamidd said:
...so finally i went and looked at tv1 this morning once i was awakened and it said something about doing hard drive diagnostics.

I noticed this on mine yesterday too. Btw I figured out how to get guide updates w/o having the updates enabled. Just go to the guide and punch 2,4,right arrow to jump 24 hours ahead in guide data. Repeat until it eventually it says you need a program guide update and asks if you like to download more guide data. Wa-la updated program guide data and no middle of the night reboot.

Now I'll agree with ChrisCoop and others that a reboot is probably needed every few days or once a week or so but at least this way I can control it and not get awakened every night by static noise.

Or even simpler, you can just press the "commercial skip" button to jump 24 hours forward, or you can enter higher numbers of hours i.e. 96 for 4 days and press right arrow.

RedHat39 said:
In our bedroom we have TV2. This TV runs 24 hours a day everyday. I've just had my 522 for a few days now but I've noticed that when it does its guide update it shuts off the signal to TV2 causing the TV to only get snow/static. Why is that? Is there anything I can do to prevent it? Its very annoying to be awakened at 4am, (when the updates are scheduled).
Are you sure that you are getting SW downloads in addition to nightly EPG updates?

For quite some time (>2~3 weeks at least) every DISH DVR I have seen go into "Standby" puts up the DISH screensaver ("Push SELECT for live TV") so you don't get blasted with snow/static.

JohnDoe#2 said:
Are you sure that you are getting SW downloads in addition to nightly EPG updates?

For quite some time (>2~3 weeks at least) every DISH DVR I have seen go into "Standby" puts up the DISH screensaver ("Push SELECT for live TV") so you don't get blasted with snow/static.

No its an actual power cycle of the DVR if you have the daily updates enabled. It starts off by putting TV2 into the screensaver mode but it eventually does a power cycle so it can look for software updates and then run its hard drive diagnostics. During this hard drive diagnostics is when static is dispalyed on TV2. The whole process takes about 20 mins or so to complete. When its done both TVs are in screensaver mode.

MY system was installed... now my review

811 reverts back to address # 1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)