Why does it take so long when changing channels?

MrP

Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
I switched from cable to dishnetwork HD, and now my wife is very disappointed because is taking so long when changing channels? Is there is anything I can do to solve this or improve load time? Thanks.

I am assuming you have a DVR.

The reason for the delay is the channel must first download a second or two, be written to the hard drive of the DVR, then after it is written it is read again from the hard drive, decoded and displayed on your TV. This is how you are able to pause live tv. (Well almost live its about 2 seconds behind real live TV bt close enough so you dont notice) :D

Welcome to SatelliteGuys.US :welcome:

The DVR box is OK, but...

I got 2 boxes: 1 DVR DISH Player-DVR 625/522 and the other a HD. The HD takes about 3 seconds to load a channel.

Nothing you can do about it. Even with the regular SD boxes, there is always a delay. It's different technology than cable. That was one of the first complaints I heard at home when we switched to E*, you'll get used to it.

I really can never figure out why people complain about this. The only thing I can think of is because with cable you had no guide or one that was worthless so you just jumped from channel to channel to see what was on.

With the EPG on Dish there is no reason to have to switch channels in rapid fire. You just search the guide for something you want to watch, then switch to the channel. If the 2 or 3 seconds it takes the channel to change is to long to wait, I reccomend contacting your doctor for some ADHD medication:) as you must have some attention span issues ;)

^^^^

What he said

There's absolutely no reason why you should be "channel flipping" on satellite

Welcome to the forum, MrP!
Note, that digital channels always take longer to switch, due to the way MPEG-2 compression works. Even on cable. If you had digital cable, you probably noticed that it takes much longer to switch between digital channels (usually above 100), compared to switching between analog channels.

BFG said:
^^^^

What he said

There's absolutely no reason why you should be "channel flipping" on satellite
I would have to disagree. I will jump back and forth quite often to try and multiplex two shows at the same time (i.e. Poor man's PiP). This is especially true with sporting events. :yes

Thanks

Ilya said:
Welcome to the forum, MrP!
Note, that digital channels always take longer to switch, due to the way MPEG-2 compression works. Even on cable. If you had digital cable, you probably noticed that it takes much longer to switch between digital channels (usually above 100), compared to switching between analog channels.

---------
Thank you for the respectful reply. I believe people form habits with time. My wife got very used to the cable remote and to the interface. I work with computers and I'm used to changes. She is not. I'll probably try to keep also the cable for time being. My problem is that the satellite guys used the existing cable cabling for the satellite installation. At least this is what I assume from observing their work.

"My problem is that the satellite guys used the existing cable cabling for the satellite installation."

You can combine the satellite signal and the cable signal using diplexers. You will need a pair of them.

RandallA said:
"My problem is that the satellite guys used the existing cable cabling for the satellite installation."

You can combine the satellite signal and the cable signal using diplexers. You will need a pair of them.

Thanks for the education. Do you know how can I obtain more information in how to do that?

Here you can find information on how they work:

http://www.solidsignal.tv/dishnetwork/Installation_Documents/The_Ins_and_Outs_of_Diplexers.pdf

You can buy them on eBay or search the net. Here is a good deal on the Holland Diplexers that are shown in the Dish Network write-up:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Holland-STVC-Satellite-Diplexer-Diplexers-4-pack_W0QQitemZ5835696037QQcategoryZ11726QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I like the Holland diplexers because their range is 5-2200 Mhz. If you use a cable modem for the Internet this is very important. Upstream frequency usually runs below 40 Mhz. Some diplexers only go down to 40 Mhz and your internet connection will not work. The satellite signals go from 950-2150 Mhz.

MrP said:
Thanks for the education. Do you know how can I obtain more information in how to do that?

I did some search on eBay, and I understand now. Thanks.

When we had digital cable I thought the delay was worse - here's what ya do for that whole channel surfing thing: Set up a favorites list! :D

(Just omit all the PPV channels and stuff you don't have/want that results in a "you don't have this channel screen) on the list and choose what you want to see on your channel list. Hit the guide button on your remote multiple times to switch through channel lists :) Erm, this way when you hold down channel up or down, you only see the channels you want to see :D It goes a bit quicker...

Oh, and yeah, another way is to just use the channel info bar. I do this, sometimes "power surfing" aka holding down up or down and trying to figure it out as the show titles/times/etc fly by at warp speed :D

I became so used to how dish's receivers do that, that when I tried digital cable I got mad because the stupid bar went blank if you flipped channels too fast :mad:

Is there a way to pick which 6 channels are viewed on the Dish Home page? The 6 it picks I don't want (5 news channels and Food TV) for mine. Now that would be sweet.

It would be impossible because it would require your satellite receiver to have 6 tuners to be able to show 6 channels at once

Okay, we need My Dish Home so we can pick/choose from say a news Home, sports Home, etc. Then we could choose from a couple of channels that had the 6 split screens instead of the generic Dish Home now.

I have had both and cable is "faster" than satellite, but if you have a TV over 36" cable is unbearable to view. Speed will always be an issue until more technology around cache memory is spent. Let's not forget ... MPEG/2/4 are all just data streams.

The delay with a DVR is even worse ... about 8 seconds later from live tv received from and antenna.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)