Why Doesn't Dish Advertise And Promote Its Hdtv Superiority??

Tvlman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 29, 2004
Surf City.CA
Dish, you've got all the HDTV channels that cable and DirecTV have and MORE! You've got 10 additional HDTV channels of VOOM. That makes around 16 channels of HDTV or more compared to 8 or 10 for cable and Direct.

Why don't you advertise and promote your advantage more?? You're number 2. Nowhere to go but up!

Superiority is in the eye of the beholder. A fan of the NFL can say D* is the leader since they have NFL-ST in HD and don't care about Voom channels. Same can be said about some cable systems, they had HDNet channels, along with InHD/InHD2, Starz-HD, Cinemax-HD, Universal-HD and local RSN's in HD, and don't forget all those darn local stations that are in HD (and can't install an antenna to get) E* doesn't have any of those. I think you need to look into the actual content of what's on the HD channels vs. just say I have the largest number of channels so I must be superior.

The bottom line is Dish & DirecTv does not want a lot of new HD customers because they will have to switch them to MPEG4 over the next 6 to 24 months.

Once MPEG4 is launched, look for both to start heavy HD advertising.

mwgiii said:
The bottom line is Dish & DirecTv does not want a lot of new HD customers because they will have to switch them to MPEG4 over the next 6 to 24 months.

Once MPEG4 is launched, look for both to start heavy HD advertising.

I agree with mwgii, I don't even see dish promoting DHA with the 942 anymore hardly and D* just annouced recently it's severing its relationship with tivo. So expect the next couple of months with both companies to be very slow. D* possibly could ramp up by late oct-nov if NDS is fairly far in product approval, but otherwise the rest of the year will be pretty boring as far as HD offering. I also expect with MPEG 4 that you'll just about have complete parity between the services in terms of offering (with the lone exception of football). We've all gotta basically just sit back and wait.

Yup, after MPEG4 rolls out we'll see "Satellite HD Wars" break out with all kinds of advertising making all types of claims as to content, hardware and price.

I'm hoping they'll get that MPEG4 ball rolling in time for holiday shoppers!

HD is still a niche product with only 10% of their subscribers using HD equipment (and of those 10%, most only have one HD receiver and the rest are SD based on anecdotal responses from people I've talked to). It still isn't mainstream for many people. Those who have HD are pretty much early adopter types who seek out the information themselves. There may be another 10-15% that have HD capable sets but don't use them for anything but DVD watching.

It may take another couple of years until they hit the critical mass necessary to take things to the next level. And since they have hit the wall bandwidth-wise, they probably don't want to be overselling HD right now......

I think we are darn close to critical mass right now.

I was just at Costco and was amazed at the number of HD sets selling between $499 and $1,499 -- prices have dropped substantially.

And, most stations in most of the large markets are now finally broadcasting in HD.

The final control rod to be pulled that will drive the HD plutonium core toward critical mass will be the roll out of MPEG4 as that event will allow all content providers to dramatically expand their HD offerings, including HD locals for (1) those who can't get them off air and (2) those who just want the convenience of not having to fuss with another antenna and wiring.

So, go MPEG4, go MPEG4, go MPEG4!!!!!!

I still think critical mass is probably one more year off, but in the grand scheme of things who cares, within 5 years HD will become the unofficial standard anyway. The prices of the tv's are not only dropping but they are also replacing the other tv's in terms of shelf space. I mean c'mon walmart is freakin selling hd sets now. It reminds of a time back in 94 when walmart started carrying a full load of dvd's. The writing was on the wall for VHS then when that happened. It was only a matter of time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts