Why doesn't everyone just 'move'?

...if you quest is to get full network prog from somewhere, think OUTSIDE the DNS box. Do your networks HAVE to be NY or LA?

I already have full local network coverage, so it's more wanting to timeshift and avoid local suckiness and pre-empting. We had the NY feed up until last week, so that's the preference. Also, I think NY would be the last market to go spotbeam, so I'm guessing it's potentially safer with that feed.

To some of us, honesty and integrity are too important to trade for TV signals--even though we would really like to have HD networks!

I don't dismiss this point of view. :) But I'm not trying to get something for nothing and I already pay for my locals through cable. As someone else mentioned on another thread, I shouldn't HAVE to cheat. I could order a New York Times subscription and my local paper couldn't say anything. I majored in Telecom and I wrote essays upon essays about Telecom laws. The laws will catch up with what we WANT them to be, they're just always 10 years or more behind the times. And, Yes, I have made these points to my local congress critters. So, I think time will bear out that this isn't wrong, I'm just not patient enough to wait...

Hey Bowens...where are you located? I tried switching my address to Miami yesterday (I live in Gainesville). I looked at the channel charts and it seemed to indicate that the Miami locals (in HD) were at 110 Transponder 12. I checked my signal strength on that transponder and it was over 100. So, now that I've made the change, the screen on the local channels is black. So, I guess somehow, I miscalculated the reach of the spotbeam.

Hey Bowens...where are you located? I tried switching my address to Miami yesterday (I live in Gainesville). I looked at the channel charts and it seemed to indicate that the Miami locals (in HD) were at 110 Transponder 12. I checked my signal strength on that transponder and it was over 100. So, now that I've made the change, the screen on the local channels is black. So, I guess somehow, I miscalculated the reach of the spotbeam.

I'm in Trenton, 30 miles West of Gainesville.

Iceberg...thanks for the response. I've been reading these forums for a long time, and you clearly have a very good understanding of things. I live on the edge of the spotbeam for Miami as shown in the map you posted. In fact, it was that map, along with the signal strengths I measured off of Transponder 12 that made me think I could pick up a signal. When I looked at the channel chart, it looked like the only other place I could be picking up Transponder 12 would be from the Pensacola/Mobile area. But, if you look at the map, the coverage area for that spot doesn't come very close to me (the miami spot supposedly touches my county). My zip is 32669 if that helps any. But, I guess now I'm going to have to either move back to my address and use NPS for NBC, or move to a Jacksonville address.

Thanks again.

the maps arent 100% accurate because the spotbeams can fluxuate (DIsh can adjust them a little bit)

as examples, this map shows that TP25 doesn't reach Minneapolis (or barely does) yet on my recever I get a 100 signal
http://ekb.dbstalk.com/E10spots/e10t25.pdf

same with TP20 (same results)
http://ekb.dbstalk.com/E10spots/e10t20.pdf

so it does fluxuate a little

Have a feeling you are getting the Mobile/Pensacola area spotbeam

That is what I was afraid of last night....guess my hopes of watching the Gators play in the BCS title game in HD have been dashed. Thanks again for the help.

That is what I was afraid of last night....guess my hopes of watching the Gators play in the BCS title game in HD have been dashed. Thanks again for the help.

My wife was ticked about that last night. She found out that the game was on Fox. There is really no way to get Fox HD except put up a huge antenna to pull from either Jax or Orlando. I lived in a house for about a year a little south of Trenton. It had a huge antenna and maybe 50% of the time I could pull in Orlando networks. That was nice when it worked.

or just go to www.dishchannelchart.com andn look up the locals near you
see what transpnioder they're on (spotbeams would be the 1st number...ie 12s36)
check signal strength for said transponder on receiver setup screen
I just looked the locals on this chart for our area, and I am sure I am being a whiny baby about this, and I apologize, but according to Dish's own stupid chart, the DFW area ABC and FOX stations they cut off from us are part of our local package, since there is no local ABC or Fox affliate in Sherman, just CBS and NBC. I can deal with the Dallas CBS and NBC being gone if I could get the FOX and ABC back. Help?!?! I feel like we have been caught in the crossfire here.

I wonder what Dish thinks when a customer changes service address, but not billing address...
I'd say that most of them know exactly what's going on.... Then again, other than the legal implications -- they are taking the customer's word 100% here -- do you think Dish cares ??

OK. I've always considered myself pretty tech savvy, but this channel chart and spot beam stuff is kicking my ass.

I looked at dishchannelchart.com. Can somone tell me if I'm reading it correctly? The only local channels that aren't on a spotbeam are the ones that used to be offered as distant locals, such as NY, LA, Chicago, Denver and Atlanta. Right? So these are the only ones that every single person in the lower 48 can receive. Right?

So, if one wanted to view the big 4 network affiliates that were in a different time zone than those in one's actual time zone, then one would have to "move" to an aforementioned city. Right?

Thanks for your patience. I know that a lot of noobs are coming in and that questions are being repeated often.

The only local channels that aren't on a spotbeam are the ones that used to be offered as distant locals, such as NY, LA, Chicago, Denver and Atlanta. Right? So these are the only ones that every single person in the lower 48 can receive. Right?

So, if one wanted to view the big 4 network affiliates that were in a different time zone than those in one's actual time zone, then one would have to "move" to an aforementioned city. Right?

Thanks for your patience. I know that a lot of noobs are coming in and that questions are being repeated often.

That's correct.

The only problem is that if no legislation passes that authorizes Dish to provide distants to some customers, then they will eventually move those channels from the "CONUS" transponders to spot beam transponders, and then you will not be able to receive them.

Also, as soon as you "move", all your times in the Guide will be in a different timezone, which is a pain...

That's correct.

The only problem is that if no legislation passes that authorizes Dish to provide distants to some customers, then they will eventually move those channels from the "CONUS" transponders to spot beam transponders, and then you will not be able to receive them.

Also, as soon as you "move", all your times in the Guide will be in a different timezone, which is a pain...

I've read the speculation regarding moving the channels to spot beams, but why would they do that? To make room for other channels on the CONUS transponders?

I've read the speculation regarding moving the channels to spot beams, but why would they do that? To make room for other channels on the CONUS transponders?
Yes, those channels are taking up "room" on the main feed vs being channeled to a specific spot-beam that would only reach their targeted city.

I already have full local network coverage, so it's more wanting to timeshift and avoid local suckiness and pre-empting. We had the NY feed up until last week, so that's the preference. Also, I think NY would be the last market to go spotbeam, so I'm guessing it's potentially safer with that feed.

I understand all that, but if you DO loose NY, wouldn't it better to at least "avoid local suckiness and pre-empting" part of your (obviously) lousy real locals? I, too, get FULL network coverage locally, but "moved" to Chicago, so I could get more cosmopolitan TV coverage on ALL networks. (NOT just the "big 4 DNS" ones) All the networks locals in Chicago are O&O, so it is VERY rare that they pre-empt network programming, which is what it's all about. On top of that, Chicago has TWO real independent stations (NO network affiliation OR not a full-time religious/shopping/foreign local) that show lots of syndicated & classic reruns. (better than TV Land has, actually!) They also have THREE PBS stations to choose from as well, so again, I'm getting SO much more out of my move than just "the big 4".

My whole point was - there surely has to be a nearby LIL market you could move to & avoid local suckiness and pre-empting. I'd think that would be the next best thing. ;) ;)

I just looked the locals on this chart for our area, and I am sure I am being a whiny baby about this, and I apologize, but according to Dish's own stupid chart, the DFW area ABC and FOX stations they cut off from us are part of our local package, since there is no local ABC or Fox affliate in Sherman, just CBS and NBC. I can deal with the Dallas CBS and NBC being gone if I could get the FOX and ABC back. Help?!?! I feel like we have been caught in the crossfire here.

There is a Fox station now in Sherman/Ada. Channel 7523 according to the chart. (its a digital channel off CBS)

as for the others, Since Dalas Big 4 are on the same spotbeam as Sherman/Ada, obviously it works. The rest of the channels are on TP29. See what kind of signal you get on Tp29 (by the looks of the map it shuld work)

Find a nice gas station or somthing in a county nearby and use that...voila, Dallas locals

Attachments

• texas.gif
    texas.gif
    62.8 KB · Views: 109
OK. I've always considered myself pretty tech savvy, but this channel chart and spot beam stuff is kicking my ass.

I looked at dishchannelchart.com. Can somone tell me if I'm reading it correctly? The only local channels that aren't on a spotbeam are the ones that used to be offered as distant locals, such as NY, LA, Chicago, Denver and Atlanta. Right? So these are the only ones that every single person in the lower 48 can receive. Right?

nope. All locals on 61.5 (Providence, RI), 105, 121, 129, 148 are all CONUS too. When you look under transponder, if there is a "S" in it, then its a spotbeam

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)