Why doesn't everyone just 'move'?

My whole point was - there surely has to be a nearby LIL market you could move to & avoid local suckiness and pre-empting. I'd think that would be the next best thing. ;) ;)

very true!
Before E10, there were people in Des Moines & Omaha with Minneapolis locals because
-most of the stations are O&O in Mpls
-we had a WB & UPN at the time (some of the others didnt)
-they were able to get HD long before they would in their market

When I lived in Duluth, MN I had Mpls because Duluth wasn't available at the time (and our UPN sucked, WB was cable only and Mpls has an independent station)

now its funny as i live in Mpls and have Duluth locals (need my MN Duluth Bulldog games) :D

nope. All locals on 61.5 (Providence, RI), 105, 121, 129, 148 are all CONUS too. When you look under transponder, if there is a "S" in it, then its a spotbeam
I see. Now that I look at that chart again, I should have seen that. I was only looking at 110 and 119 locations because I'm pretty sure that's what I can pick up.

or just go to www.dishchannelchart.com andn look up the locals near you
see what transpnioder they're on (spotbeams would be the 1st number...ie 12s36)
check signal strength for said transponder on receiver setup screen

In checking for Portland, Oregon would I go to the 110 Sat and check the signal strength for spotbeam 29? (It comes in at 83. Is that a safe number for a spotbeam?)

Would I still have guide listings for OTA (Seattle)?

Last edited:
In checking for Portland, Oregon would I go to the 110 Sat and check the signal strength for spotbeam 29? (It comes in at 83. Is that a safe number for a spotbeam?)
yep that would work fine. My "moved" locals are at 80 signal

Would I still have guide listings for OTA (Seattle)?
depends on the box. My 811 does have most of the Mpls HD channels logged (I get Mpls OTA and Duluth via Dish)

To some of us, honesty and integrity are too important to trade for TV signals--even though we would really like to have HD networks!
Good point Bob.
In a weak moment, when angry over the whole mess, I almost went the "move" route. Even had a nice person in this list willing to help me "do it right".

I mentioned it to my wife and she "woke me up". Is it really worth being dishonest about? I'd eventually have to explain these new channels to my kids and other family members.

Granted, in light of what most people consider "acceptable" today, this doesn't seem like a big deal - but actually it is.

How can I expect and insist on fair treatment from those in control of providing television signals (congress, FCC, NAB / affiliates) if I'm not willing to be fair about receiving them?

Walt..as much as I admire your integrity, I've come to learn there is very little integrity when it comes to issues with NAB/Affiliates and, unfortunately, many members of Congress.

People, try Expressvu, it will end all your problems for the HD NETWORKS! Only $27 a month!

Good point Bob.
In a weak moment, when angry over the whole mess, I almost went the "move" route. Even had a nice person in this list willing to help me "do it right".

I mentioned it to my wife and she "woke me up". Is it really worth being dishonest about? I'd eventually have to explain these new channels to my kids and other family members.

Granted, in light of what most people consider "acceptable" today, this doesn't seem like a big deal - but actually it is.

How can I expect and insist on fair treatment from those in control of providing television signals (congress, FCC, NAB / affiliates) if I'm not willing to be fair about receiving them?

I went to a great deal of trouble to obtain waivers 10 years ago. It was not easy even then.

Somebody's computer says we can receive an ota signal. You would literally need to move mountains for us to obtain a signal with an antenna.

I can now get a spotbeam of the Eugene, OR network affiliates. for some reason the signal is not too good. I really don't want the Eugene locals. As someone pointed out in another thread, it's not local. it's a hundred miles from here.

We have a flawed law here that needs to be changed.

All's fair in love and war............... and TV!!!!

And what is the upfront cost for the receiver and dish?
a Dish500 can be used.
www.expressvu.com has the equipment. I know its more expensive (they use a 6100 which is just like a 811)...ExpressVu uses Dish equipment but the receivers are not interchangeable. You need a EVu receiver for it

I also assume you have to purchase it for one year at a time, correct?

usually its a 1yr minimum

Walt..as much as I admire your integrity, I've come to learn there is very little integrity when it comes to issues with NAB/Affiliates and, unfortunately, many members of Congress.
Agreed but I couldn't justify my bad behavior to get around theirs.

There is a Fox station now in Sherman/Ada. Channel 7523 according to the chart. (its a digital channel off CBS)

as for the others, Since Dalas Big 4 are on the same spotbeam as Sherman/Ada, obviously it works. The rest of the channels are on TP29. See what kind of signal you get on Tp29 (by the looks of the map it shuld work)

Find a nice gas station or somthing in a county nearby and use that...voila, Dallas locals
Boy am I getting an education! Yes, we have discovered the Fox station out of Sherman, it is their digital and interestingly enough, they run no news or local programming on it. I looked at the DMA map, and the entire North Central part of TX where we are is in the Dallas/Ft. Worth DMA EXCEPT for Grayson County. They stick Grayson County in with a bunch of southern Oklahoma counties. Interesting that advertising and Neilsen ratings drives the DMA. No wonder the broadcasters scream. Like I said, I am getting an education. Since we all have been paying extra to receive DNS, what has Dish done with the money? Who does it go to?
Well, we are getting ready to move to our local cable provider, this is just been ridicilous and it does not appear that it is going to be resolved any time soon. Dish lost us after more than 5 years.

I went to a great deal of trouble to obtain waivers 10 years ago. It was not easy even then.

Somebody's computer says we can receive an ota signal. You would literally need to move mountains for us to obtain a signal with an antenna.

I can now get a spotbeam of the Eugene, OR network affiliates. for some reason the signal is not too good. I really don't want the Eugene locals. As someone pointed out in another thread, it's not local. it's a hundred miles from here.

We have a flawed law here that needs to be changed.

All's fair in love and war............... and TV!!!!

You could try Portland OR depending on where in Oregon or Washington -- it seems to reach around the NW states pretty far with a good signal due to their DMA spread. I've gotten them in my RV in various parts of the state.

jmnelms said:
Since we all have been paying extra to receive DNS, what has Dish done with the money? Who does it go to?
Except for a small copyright fee, the money goes directly to Dish Network.

Dish Network estimates approximately $3 million a month in pure revenue from distant networks. Because the amount of distant network subscribers has basically stayed the same, that equates to $180 million over the past five years.

Pure profit. And Dish Network doesn't even have to pay the networks nor their local affilates a dime.

Except for a small copyright fee, the money goes directly to Dish Network.

Dish Network estimates approximately $3 million a month in pure revenue from distant networks. Because the amount of distant network subscribers has basically stayed the same, that equates to $180 million over the past five years.

Pure profit. And Dish Network doesn't even have to pay the networks nor their local affilates a dime.
So what is the point of us paying extra if they don't pass those fees along to the networks and affliates in those markets? Then if that is the case, they have been profiting off of their subscribers under the false pretense of " you have to pay extra because we have to pay extra to give this to you" . Well, now I am really pissed. They should have to give all the money back as fines, plus interest. We have already made the appointment to switch our service to the only other choice we have, the one cable provider in town. We may hate it and after the 6 month contract is up may decide to do something else, but again, we have very limited choices here. What a racket this is.

Then if that is the case, they have been profiting off of their subscribers under the false pretense of " you have to pay extra because we have to pay extra to give this to you".
I don't know that Dish has ever stated that (in the case of distants), though it's certainly the case for MOST channels. In this situation, they can respond that they're providing you a "service" and there's a cost associated with delivering it to you. No pay, no service.

I don't know that Dish has ever stated that (in the case of distants), though it's certainly the case for MOST channels. In this situation, they can respond that they're providing you a "service" and there's a cost associated with delivering it to you. No pay, no service.
No, I am sure there is no statement to that effect. And of course, this is a pay for fee service, obviously. But, if Dish knew that this was an issue, perhaps they could have taken some of that money and paid for the rights to broadcast those signals outside their normal areas. Maybe we wouldn't have lost our DNS. My DNS was Dallas, less than an hour from me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts