Why DVR Fees?

blockisle9

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
I know this isn't the correct place to ask this question, but I'm sure someone here will have an answer.
Why does Dish, Direct TV, Replay TV and TIVO charge a monthly fee? Is it because of the guide? They should offer the option with out the guide and no monthly fee, basically so it works like a VCR only better with pause live TV and instant replay.
After all when I buy a computer, or TV or any other device I don't have to pay a per month user fee.
Just wondering
Lenny

I can see TIVO and Replay doing it,but not D* and E*,its the same guide and all,why the charge?
Because they charge so they make more money,coming ever so closer to the business model of the cable companies-charge as much as you can and get as much as you can.

I can see why D* does it. They have to pay Tivo after all they use Tivo for their box.

E* I have never been able to see the justification for it. Basically they saw D* charging for it and started charging for it to get more revenue.

Because they can. That is why . It is a steady stream of revenue and if you sub to the AEP with Dish then you can escape the dvr fee. Dish gets you either way; the dvr fee or the higher priced programming package. It's a win /win situation for Dish .

bruce said:
I can see TIVO and Replay doing it,but not D* and E

If you can see Tivo doing it, then you should be able to see DirecTV doing it, as they use the Tivo software, guide, etc. Plus, they only charge $5/mo per household, not $13/mo per box, as Tivo does.

Unfortunately, DirecTV is dropping Tivo for NDS' XTV system. I would imagine that they will still charge for it, though.

As for Dish, they charge it purely out of greed, as there is no added value to their DVR's. Yes, they can pause live TV, and record like a VCR. But, that is all. Once they implememnt the Gemstar guide and name-based recording functions (and once they get it working correctly, about a year after that), it will finally be a justifiable charge.

blockisle9 said:
I know this isn't the correct place to ask this question, but I'm sure someone here will have an answer.
Why does Dish, Direct TV, Replay TV and TIVO charge a monthly fee? Is it because of the guide? They should offer the option with out the guide and no monthly fee, basically so it works like a VCR only better with pause live TV and instant replay.
After all when I buy a computer, or TV or any other device I don't have to pay a per month user fee.
Just wondering
Lenny

Don't forget if you buy a new or reconditioned 501 or 508 there is no DVR fee!! :D

Not sure but dishstore was selling 508's not sure if there are any left though.

SINCE when is a company not entitled to make money?? We don't have jobs out of goodness of our hearts! We do it to make money! E* is not gouging us! I feel i get a good return and value for the money i give them. If you don't go somewhere else. You have the power but don't whine like i little girl cause they want to make money. I hope they do make money that only leads to more options, both with them and other companies. You don't like the fee buy a receiver that you don't have to pay it or just don't get a DVR the choice is yours E* and D don't have a gun to your head and they aren't non profit LOL.

Me

The DVR fees are a "because we can" fee. They have a service just like the OpenTV games on channel 100 among other things, and the $25 restart fee, $5 & $10 downgrade fee, late fee, additional outlet fee, $5 fee for not ordering a basic package, etc. because they can increase their profitibility.

RELAX!
I was talking DVR's in general, I just think its strange to have to buy a product and then pay monthly fee to use it. Especially a stand alone product. Maybe when we buy a car we should give the manufacturer a monthly fee to drive it. That will make the manufacturer more money and create more jobs. Good for the economy!

As strange as it sounds it is like subscription. You are not paying a fee for the device yet you are paying for the delivery and use of their guide and GUI system that is used WITH that device. some examples:

You buy a car, yet you pay a maint, fuel and insurance fees, etc.

You buy a TV, yet you pay fees for satellite or cable to watch it.

You buy a stove, yet you pay for the electricty and food to put into it so you can eat.

You buy a PC, yet you pay fees for the internet and software to use it.

You buy a DVD or VHS, yet you buy or rent titles to watch.

I mean really;they may over charge here and there for things like every other company does, but the bottom line is you must PAY "fees" every day for darn near every thing you use. What have you ever bought that is REALLY all-inclusive for that one price? It just depends on what you call a "fee for use". If one doesn't agree with the fee, cancel.

I would rather not pay it but it is a service ( so-called video on demand) that is worthy of a fee. Coming from the old DVHS JVC machine to a 921 I am happy to pay so I don't have to shuffle tapes any more. :)

plumfam4 said:
SINCE when is a company not entitled to make money?? We don't have jobs out of goodness of our hearts! We do it to make money! E* is not gouging us! I feel i get a good return and value for the money i give them. If you don't go somewhere else. You have the power but don't whine like i little girl cause they want to make money. I hope they do make money that only leads to more options, both with them and other companies. You don't like the fee buy a receiver that you don't have to pay it or just don't get a DVR the choice is yours E* and D don't have a gun to your head and they aren't non profit LOL.

Me

a. Of course they're allowed to make money.
b. The Dish DVR charge is most certainly a gouge.
c. There is no added value to the 510 vs. 501/508, yet their is an additional $5 fee.
d. Bite me.

CRB said:
I would rather not pay it but it is a service ( so-called video on demand) that is worthy of a fee. Coming from the old DVHS JVC machine to a 921 I am happy to pay so I don't have to shuffle tapes any more. :)

I have been thinking about this question for a while, why do they charge us fees. you say you are happy so you don't have to suffle tapes around. But, you have already paid for your receiver, the hard drive inside it, the software that is on your receiver etc. There is NO REASON why dish should be charging for this service. I understand direct charging because of the tivo license. I understand tivo charging, because they are about to go out of business. replay tv, same thing. dish is just charging because they can. there is no reason to justify why dish is charging. PERIOD. that is why I don't have one right now.

korsjs said:
I have been thinking about this question for a while, why do they charge us fees. you say you are happy so you don't have to suffle tapes around. But, you have already paid for your receiver, the hard drive inside it, the software that is on your receiver etc. There is NO REASON why dish should be charging for this service. I understand direct charging because of the tivo license. I understand tivo charging, because they are about to go out of business. replay tv, same thing. dish is just charging because they can. there is no reason to justify why dish is charging. PERIOD. that is why I don't have one right now.

By the same logic, there shouldn't be any monthly charges at all for Dish Network. You've already paid for your equipment, why should you have to pay a monthly charge to use it?

dbronstein said:
By the same logic, there shouldn't be any monthly charges at all for Dish Network. You've already paid for your equipment, why should you have to pay a monthly charge to use it?

wrong. you are paying for the tv channels you view. you are paying to keep the channels turned on.

you should not have to pay for something that you recorded on something that you own. Once it is on the HARD DRIVE YOU OWN, why should you have to pay to view it?

It is a subscription. You are not paying a fee for the device, you are paying for the delivery and use of their guide and GUI system that is used WITH that device as well as the continued and past R&D, marketing and future software updates and upgrades, and so on. Just stop paying the fees and go for full manual recording.

The subscription argument would only be valid if Dish actually provided a subscription to something. The guide is the same as it is for basically all of their receivers. No added value. The only difference is the ability to record internally. The selling or leasing price should cover the cost of the hardware manufacture and R&D. Plus, the non-DVR models have the same costs, yet there is no monthly fee for them.

The argument was based on DVRs in general, not just sat/cable provided units.

BUT...

If you have a "partnered" or sat/cable company provided DVR without the value added services such as networked play & share, archive to PC, archive to DVD, remote mgmt from any internet terminal worldwide, the ability to use open source software add-ons and mgmt tools, the ability to freely mod/inhance your DVR, AND you pay a monthly fee, then that's your own fault. If you pay a nominal fee to have these features, GREAT, and it is up to each end user to decide what fee level is acceptable for this. If you have a lifetime service DVR that has all this, then you did your homework and you know what you are doing! All-in-one provided boxes are NOT yet what the were cracked up to be. They are still praying on the customers that just have to have the latest gimick and not the real deal. The only nice feature is the dual tuner units. As with anything in life like this, it is purely subjective and not fact based by any means; each person must decide on his or her own rate of acceptance for the pricing of goods.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts