why HD DVR still costs $200 ?

testarc

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Jan 9, 2007
Why existing customers still have to pay $150 to $200 to LEASE a DVR and pay monthly lease fee?

If I cancel my service, will I be eligible for the new customer "free" HD DVR offer?

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Why existing customers still have to pay $150 to $200 to LEASE a DVR and pay monthly lease fee?

Because it probably still costs them $500 to make it, and that's a long time to wait for them to recover their costs.

If I cancel my service, will I be eligible for the new customer "free" HD DVR offer?

No, not usually. There are time periods to wait- doesn't seem to be just one answer as to how long. They keep names/addresses/ph #s/socials on file. Others try scams to get around the rules to be a "new" customer. I don't recommend that.

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
The different in price for retailers is only $120 between a 625 and a 622 so why a $179 upfront fee required? That is more than the difference in price to the retailer. Maybe they are losing more on the 622 than the 625 when selling to the retailer.

Heck they quoted me $149 to lease a freakin 625. INSANE! Told them that was a hefty increase from the $49-99 they said it was before.

It should be little or nothing, $99 at the most, since they are getting $20 more per month for the HD programming.

John Kotches

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Nov 21, 2003
Troy, IL (STL Area)
The different in price for retailers is only $120 between a 625 and a 622 so why a $179 upfront fee required? That is more than the difference in price to the retailer. Maybe they are losing more on the 622 than the 625 when selling to the retailer.

Bingo... We have a winner.

Heck they quoted me $149 to lease a freakin 625. INSANE! Told them that was a hefty increase from the $49-99 they said it was before.

It should be little or nothing, $99 at the most, since they are getting $20 more per month for the HD programming.

And they are subsidizing it more than $240 which is the price delta for programming over a year.

Jim5506

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Slaton, Texas
Dish.

The downside is that until USB storage is released if the receiver breaks you lose all your recorded content. Arrrggh.

Cheers,

(I quoted the wrong response)

Only if it is within the warranty period, after that it's your responsibility.

But, all you have to do is call Dish and have Dish Home Advantage put on your account, get the thing fixed for a $29 fee, then call back and cancel DHA. Dishes CSR's even recommend you do it that way. They probably should just blanket everyone and charge a flat fee for housecalls and receiver shipping.

teachsac

SatelliteGuys Master
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Nov 3, 2005
Elk Grove, CA
Dish.

The downside is that until USB storage is released if the receiver breaks you lose all your recorded content. Arrrggh.

Cheers,

Yep. I've got all the Star Wars Movies recorded plus a few more. Engineering called me today. They want me to RMA one of my 622's because they are working on an issue with recording OTA from one of our stations. I've already sent them two. The first got lost and the second's hard drive got reformatted before they could copy the stream for analysis. Gusess I''ll have a Star Wars Marathon.

S~

Tom Bombadil

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
May 5, 2005
Chicago-Milwaukee Region
I don't buy that the 622 cost $450-$500 to build. Not at these quantities and after this many months in production. And not when they sell it new, free & clear of contract, for $499 list (with some retailers selling for less than this).

I suspect the cost to E* is closer to $300.

dtanderson

SatelliteGuys Guru
Aug 27, 2004
Only if it is within the warranty period, after that it's your responsibility.

But, all you have to do is call Dish and have Dish Home Advantage put on your account, get the thing fixed for a $29 fee, then call back and cancel DHA. Dishes CSR's even recommend you do it that way. They probably should just blanket everyone and charge a flat fee for housecalls and receiver shipping.

That is why I do not like their leases. If you are leasing the receiver then you do not own it, Dish does. Since it is their receiver, if it breaks then they should be responsible for replacing it not the customer. When you lease equipment from the cable company (they do not charge up front fees) and the equipment breaks they will replace it at no charge since it is their equipment. If I am going to be responsible for it then I would rather own it than lease it. Why would I pay to fix equipment that I do not own?

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
Retailers get them for $450 or less (although I do not know if I should post that amount here - an admin can edit that out if needbe) before the shipping costs. If I lease a receiver they are going to fix it or I will find another company to do business with. Why would be responsible for something that we do not own?

StevenD

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Nov 18, 2003
n
That is why I do not like their leases. If you are leasing the receiver then you do not own it, Dish does. Since it is their receiver, if it breaks then they should be responsible for replacing it not the customer. When you lease equipment from the cable company (they do not charge up front fees) and the equipment breaks they will replace it at no charge since it is their equipment. If I am going to be responsible for it then I would rather own it than lease it. Why would I pay to fix equipment that I do not own?

When you lease a car you pay to repair it, not the leasing company (or dealer).

dtanderson

SatelliteGuys Guru
Aug 27, 2004
When you lease a car you pay to repair it, not the leasing company (or dealer).

That is why I do not lease cars :) Why would I put money into a vehicle that I am just going to turn around and give to someone.

That is also different because I am paying for a service (DishNetwork) and you have to have their equipment to receive the service. I am not leasing the hardware for me but to receive a service. Cable companies replace leased boxes that a bad or break at no cost to customers.

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Cable companies replace leased boxes that a bad or break at no cost to customers.

Actually, I'd say they just build the cost into their price structure. Look at the list of fees your cableco charges. If they're anything like the one in my area, it's unreal- charges for everything, and not cheap. They make Dish look good.

lakebum431

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 5, 2005
Norris, TN
That is why I do not lease cars :) Why would I put money into a vehicle that I am just going to turn around and give to someone.

There are many many cases where leases are much more economical than purchasing, but that is a debate for another thread. ;)

kevink

SatelliteGuys Family
Feb 3, 2005
Probably because some people will pay it to get HD.

In my case, DTV doesn't carry locals for my market (and I didn't know until I got an antenna that I could actually get 4 networks OTA. I had thought only 2 were strong enough).

Also, being able to use 1 receiver for 2 TVs is a big advantage for me, allowing me to watch recorded shows on either TV.

Tom Bombadil

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
May 5, 2005
Chicago-Milwaukee Region
Technically you have the same warranty as if you purchased your receiver new. I believe that is 1 year.

However I've read reports of people having leased receivers replaced even at 18-24 months old.

E* is certainly not unique in not providing a "lifetime" warranty for leased equipment. You have the option of purchasing maintenance if you wish to be covered.

mothergoose45

SatelliteGuys Family
Aug 4, 2004
There are many many cases where leases are much more economical than purchasing, but that is a debate for another thread. ;)

A Leased car is one of the dumbest things you can do. It's just stupid.

Here’s why. Take a Honda Civic? Sells for $18,000. If that car loses 60 percent of its value in four years, it would be worth $11,000. You've lost $7,000 in value.

If you lease this Civic and bring it back to the dealer in four years and you have not paid them $7,000, then they have lost money. You have to pay them the depreciation value or they lose money. They aren’t in the business of losing money. They make up the depreciation and a profit, mostly in interest on the loan. You can’t even get close to a cash transaction.

If you could lease a car for less than it goes down in value then it would make sense. You’re letting someone else take the hit. That’s when renting makes sense. Someone has got to lose money, and it ain’t them.

lakebum431

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 5, 2005
Norris, TN
A Leased car is one of the dumbest things you can do. It's just stupid.

Here’s why. Take a Honda Civic? Sells for $18,000. If that car loses 60 percent of its value in four years, it would be worth $11,000. You've lost $7,000 in value.

If you lease this Civic and bring it back to the dealer in four years and you have not paid them $7,000, then they have lost money. You have to pay them the depreciation value or they lose money. They aren’t in the business of losing money. They make up the depreciation and a profit, mostly in interest on the loan. You can’t even get close to a cash transaction.

If you could lease a car for less than it goes down in value then it would make sense. You’re letting someone else take the hit. That’s when renting makes sense. Someone has got to lose money, and it ain’t them.

For a Honda Civic in most cases you are 100% right, however, for a very expensive car such as a BMW 7 series you actually save a huge amount of money by leases rather than buying (because the car depreciates quite a bit more in trade in value than the difference in what you pay in payments in a lease vs a purchase). The key for when a lease makes sense is for people that will get a new car every 2 or 3 or 4 years vs. someone that will drive a car until it dies (well past the payment period). The reason that dealerships are able to still make money on leases is that they can take the car back from you and still sell it for quite a bit more than an individual can sell it for or trade it in for. For an example of this please check out www.edmunds.com and compare trade in values, private sales values and dealer values. Again, I'm not saying that everyone should lease but there are many many examples where it makes much more sense. So your statement of "A Leased car is one of the dumbest things you can do. It's just stupid." is actually stupid because you must consider all the circumstances.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)