Why IPod?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Parker

Formerly Geronimo
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 9, 2003
I have been looking at prices for portable music players ever since my so asked for one for his birthdy.

His layer of choice was the Creative Labs Nomad Zen in at least a 20 GB version. i wound up getting him the 30 GB version for $187 shipped from , of all pklaces, Walmart.com.

But I see the iPods going for far more. I also understand that they have a lot of limitations in terms of the formats they play. So my question is why are the IPodds si muchmore popular Is it name recognition, the avaialbility of accessoroes, or am I missing a major advntage?

And where do you look for deals?

Most people buy iPods because they are "cooler" than all the other MP3 players. I, personally, like the iTunes interface for playing and organizing music.

I had a Dell DJ20 that went missing in Aruba a couple of months ago. It was great. If Dell still sold that model, I would buy another one since I already have all the accessories. Dell puts out offers and coupons all the time. I had a $100 off coupon for the DJ20 and I was purchasing two...when I went to check out, they actually applied to coupon to each one.

However, rumor has it that Apple will be introducing a Video iPod in September. So, Im not going to buy anything until closer to Christmas.

My wife has an ipod mini and personally I really like it. We also have an old Creative Nomad and an RCA Lyra that I use at the gym or for whatever. With the ipod we have a Pioneer touch screen head unit in my wifes car and there is an ipod connection for the head unit, plug it in and you have great access to the 600+ songs on her mini through her car stereo, it's really cool IMO.

I'm not sure what formats the ipods can and can't play, I think it's MP3 and the two apple formats, I wish itunes would let you download at higher bitrates and was a little more cost friendly.

I do like the ipods and I am interested in the rumored video ipod, but I also feel the ipod competitors make some great products and most of them give you more for your money.

Dell was the really only solid challenger but they haven't updated the interface like apple has this year. For info look up the May issue of MaximumPC ( i believe) for the full low down.

Geronimo said:
So my question is why are the IPodds si muchmore popular?
Two words: nano-nano

Attachments

• ipodnanohand20050907.jpg
    ipodnanohand20050907.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 114
I ended up buying a 60GB iPod Photo this week. I was quite disappointed that Apple didnt give us a Video iPod when they announced the Nano. I was also disappointed that they only released a 4GB Nano. Hopefully they will release an 8GB model soon.

I have a 90 day return window on my iPod, so if Apple comes out with anything better before Christmas, this one is going back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts