Why is Backdoor and Legal Closed?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JimWH

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 19, 2007
Tampa Fl.
I’m curious why the thread was closed. I understand we do not want to encourage hacks or any illegal activity, but it did raise in interesting question. I suspect the activity described is likely illegal, but should it be? I can understand in the case of cable where they bring a wire to the house that there is a contract involved in what you get. I can even understand a satellite customer having to abide by their agreement. But how about a non-customer? For satellite, or any other type of broadcast medium it’s a case of it’s raining soup (broadcast) so why shouldn’t I be allowed to catch some? All signals are encoded, though not necessarily encrypted. Why shouldn’t I be allowed to decode it if I want to? If they don’t want me to have it they should stop sending their signal into my property. If someone wants to broadcast a message generally accessible and they don’t want everyone to read it, it should be up to them to use sufficient encryption. If I can read your smoke signal why I am I at fault? Just posing an idea, not advocating theft.

I’m curious why the thread was closed. I understand we do not want to encourage hacks or any illegal activity, but it did raise in interesting question. I suspect the activity described is likely illegal, but should it be? I can understand in the case of cable where they bring a wire to the house that there is a contract involved in what you get. I can even understand a satellite customer having to abide by their agreement. But how about a non-customer? For satellite, or any other type of broadcast medium it’s a case of it’s raining soup (broadcast) so why shouldn’t I be allowed to catch some? All signals are encoded, though not necessarily encrypted. Why shouldn’t I be allowed to decode it if I want to? If they don’t want me to have it they should stop sending their signal into my property. If someone wants to broadcast a message generally accessible and they don’t want everyone to read it, it should be up to them to use sufficient encryption. If I can read your smoke signal why I am I at fault? Just posing an idea, not advocating theft.
What you seem to be describing is FTA not DISH or Directv

Reply to: What you seem to be describing is FTA not DISH or Directv

FTA and DISH and DIRECTV are similar in that they broadcast signals not specifically targeted to anyone. The difference as far as I can see is that FTA only has encoding necessary for the broadcast medium where the others are encrypted. What I am asking is if it is possible to decode the signal without using their proprietary technology should it be illegal?

I'm no lawyer, but I think that breaking (decrypting or decoding) the encryption is illegal under the DMCA. It doesn't matter whether you are using proprietary, or reverse-engineered technology.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

No Uplink this week??

discount on sports pack

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)