Why is Dish shutting down the 721?

OK... here's a thought I just had.

I currently have VIP222 and DVR721 receivers. I subscribe to Gold HD and Top 250 programming. Monthly Dish hits me up for a leased receiver fee and the Dish Home Protection plan.

If I call them up today and get the 522/625 receiver then I shouldn't get hit with a second leased receiver fee. Further I'm thinking that since both receivers will now be leased (owned by E*) I now have little reason to continue the Dish home protect plan. And since I have a set of spare DPP LNB's at the house there is really little value in me paying them an additional $5.99 per month. Thoughts?

a 522 without even asking!

I own two 721's and got my "urgent action" letter a few weeks ago. I decided not to respond right away in the hopes that they might run out of 522's and have to give me a better box. Today, I was surprised to receive two 522's via UPS. Anyone else out there get replacement receivers without even asking?
I plan on calling in before I activate to ensure that I will be grandfathered in with no fees. Anyone get that in writing?

.... I'm thinking that since both receivers will now be leased (owned by E*) I now have little reason to continue the Dish home protect plan. And since I have a set of spare DPP LNB's at the house there is really little value in me paying them an additional $5.99 per month. Thoughts?

Keep paying it. After the one year warranty (I think it's one year) you are responsible for repairs. Just like a leased automobile. Plus, any service call (truck roll) that might become necessary will be for much less, or free. And it covers EVERYTHING- dishes, LNBs, remotes, separators, switches, maybe even coax.

Yes, I know some people don't believe this, don't think it's "fair" or that they personally are so important to Dish that they plan on getting any repairs for free or they'll take their business elsewhere. Remember your contract. And remember that they have every right to charge you for any repairs for any damage to leased equipment that you return on your way out. You'll pay, or you'll have a ding on your credit report, or both. Cheaper maybe, and certainly easier for peace of mind, to pay the $5.99.

I lease the trucks we use at work. Straight lease- I pay for all repairs. Lease with maintenance plan- Leasing company pays for routine maintenance and repairs, including a certain # of brakes and tires if we so choose. Beyond that, our problem. Any body damage is not covered, period. I throw this in for people that think the vehicle leasing company always pays for maintenance and repairs.

Keep paying it. After the one year warranty (I think it's one year) you are responsible for repairs. Just like a leased automobile. Plus, any service call (truck roll) that might become necessary will be for much less, or free. And it covers EVERYTHING- dishes, LNBs, remotes, separators, switches, maybe even coax.
I was talking to someone from the ceo address today on the phone and I questioned her on this and she stated that a "leased" receiver is ALWAYS covered even without the DHPP. The only thing that wouldn't be cover is shipping,abuse or a service call.

Jesus H. Christ there's a lot of misinformation floating around.

1.) If you did DIU when the lease-fee was valid, then you can only get rid of it by doing DIU again. Sorry.

2.) navychop:

You're definitely off-base. You're provided a 90-day installation warranty on work orders -- end. After that, it's between $0 and $99 depending on the reason/waranty you carry (only customers with the legacy In-Home Service Protection plan got free service calls.)
If you lease a receiver, the S&H fee can be waived within the first year due to the standard warranty. Beyond that point, you pay $14.95 S&H as a direct customer ($24.95 as an AT&T Revenue Share customer (olllld bundle)) for receivers and $5.95 for remotes (like $15 for Rev Share) (yes, the lease covers remotes.)
I'm not sure what S&H is on LNBF's and switches, but if they were provided under a leased promotion (ie. DIU) then the part cost is covered.

DHPP Benefits: Covers leased & purchased equip., Free S&H, $29 service calls, Free DishMover once/year & it covers all active Dish-brand equipment in the same home as the primary receiver.

DOES NOT COVER: Cabling, Diplexers (They're usually Holland - Dish doesn't make diplexers), Acts of God, Customer Damage, Infestation, etc.

I own two 721's and got my "urgent action" letter a few weeks ago. I decided not to respond right away in the hopes that they might run out of 522's and have to give me a better box. Today, I was surprised to receive two 522's via UPS. Anyone else out there get replacement receivers without even asking?
I plan on calling in before I activate to ensure that I will be grandfathered in with no fees. Anyone get that in writing?

I got an email stating this from someone at Dish Network. I told them to send it to me or that I would cancel my service.

DHPP

FYI,
Here is my experience with DHPP I was having trouble with my service and I called in and they decided that I needed a service call so they told me that I could buy DHPP and my service call would be $29 or I could not get DHPP and it would cost me $99.
They sold me DHPP even though they KNEW that I had trouble and needed a service call.
I just canceled DHPP to save some money and if I have more trouble I will re purchase it.

I was talking to someone from the ceo address today on the phone and I questioned her on this and she stated that a "leased" receiver is ALWAYS covered even without the DHPP. The only thing that wouldn't be cover is shipping,abuse or a service call.

This would be nice. As stated, get it in writing. Because that has NOT been the experience of others. As usual, different people at Dish give different answers.

FYI,
Here is my experience with DHPP I was having trouble with my service and I called in and they decided that I needed a service call so they told me that I could buy DHPP and my service call would be $29 or I could not get DHPP and it would cost me $99.
They sold me DHPP even though they KNEW that I had trouble and needed a service call.
I just canceled DHPP to save some money and if I have more trouble I will re purchase it.

These days seem to be coming to an end, as posted elsewhere. And the practice is not, IMHO, completely honest.

.... navychop:

You're definitely off-base. You're provided a 90-day installation warranty on work orders -- end. After that, it's between $0 and $99 depending on the reason/waranty you carry (only customers with the legacy In-Home Service Protection plan got free service calls.)
If you lease a receiver, the S&H fee can be waived within the first year due to the standard warranty. Beyond that point, you pay $14.95 S&H as a direct customer ($24.95 as an AT&T Revenue Share customer (olllld bundle)) for receivers and $5.95 for remotes (like $15 for Rev Share) (yes, the lease covers remotes.)
I'm not sure what S&H is on LNBF's and switches, but if they were provided under a leased promotion (ie. DIU) then the part cost is covered.

DHPP Benefits: Covers leased & purchased equip., Free S&H, $29 service calls, Free DishMover once/year & it covers all active Dish-brand equipment in the same home as the primary receiver.

DOES NOT COVER: Cabling, Diplexers (They're usually Holland - Dish doesn't make diplexers), Acts of God, Customer Damage, Infestation, etc.

Under DHPP & it's predecessor $2 insurance, I've had 6 721s float thru my home. I've never paid anything for replacement, not even shipping. I once needed a remote replaced, same thing, got a free one. Not even sure I sent the old one back. Used Dish Mover once. Had the HD upgrade at a previous address with no service charge- had the guy return to redo the job, again at no cost (not DHPP related, I know).

Certainly, there is always room to discuss charges, etc with CSRs. And policies and their degree of enforcement change over time.

Bottom Line: Pay for DHPP, even on leased equipment. Do you disagree with that?

Long time reader, first time poster here:) What happens to those of us who have "moved"? Where would the replacement receivers be shipped - service or billing address?

Long time reader, first time poster here:) What happens to those of us who have "moved"? Where would the replacement receivers be shipped - service or billing address?

Tel them you want it sent to your office address....... I did this with the my old 721 that I had given to my father for his use.... They sent him the letter to upgrade, and he had it sent it to our office (family business).

If they start to squawk, tell them that you don't have anyone there during the day, and you don't want it to get rained on or stolen when the UPS guy leaves it on your front step.

the replacement 522 will be a leased rcrv with the discontinued rcvr promotion , and yes phone line fee and dvr service fee are bith waived

Jesus H. Christ there's a lot of misinformation floating around.

1.) If you did DIU when the lease-fee was valid, then you can only get rid of it by doing DIU again. Sorry.

2.) navychop:

Just last week I had a DPP44 power inserter go bad. I had DHPP. I was told I would have to pay $199 for new DPP44 switch and inserter, that DHPP ONLY COVERS receivers and remotes. I told them I only needed the inserter. They said I would have to pay $36 for that, PLUS $8.95 shipping. This was an American Tech Support CSR.

So, whoever you are, you are wrong again.

Last edited:
navychop: I'd definitely go with DHPP.

yaz96: If proper troubleshooting was performed and it was made clear that the equipment had failed (not cust damage/etc.), then that CSR/TSR, regardless of location, was wrong. PM me the circumstances/details and I'll let you know what should have happened and what needs to happen from this point.

My 7200 lost all its programming last night. Not a happy camper. Had gotten behind and had several programs I wanted to see. Well that promted me to make the upgrade. After getting off the phone started wondering if the new recievers will work ok with my current dish 500. They have the sw21 switches. If I want to be able to use the dual tuners what will I need to do?

Cripes! 7200? I thought they stopped supporting them years ago.... That thing was flaky when they had half as many channels.... I can't imagine how sluggish it must be now. Dude, you got your money's worth out of it.... Time to move on....

Jenny Codes, bouncing WebTV logos, internet access that worked on about 10% of web pages (probably less now, unless you stick to low overhead mobile sites), 10 minute guide downloads, teeny hard drives..... shudder.

Have not had any problems in a long time but your right. Was in need of a upgrade. I have two recievers and would like to set both new ones up with the dual tuner. What all am I going to need?

Cripes! 7200? I thought they stopped supporting them years ago.... That thing was flaky when they had half as many channels.... I can't imagine how sluggish it must be now. Dude, you got your money's worth out of it.... Time to move on....

Jenny Codes, bouncing WebTV logos, internet access that worked on about 10% of web pages (probably less now, unless you stick to low overhead mobile sites), 10 minute guide downloads, teeny hard drives..... shudder.

I've got 2 upgraded 120GB 7100's. For the last couple of years they've been EXTREMELY stable. No comparison to the early days of frequent firmware upgrades (and each one seemed to make the Dishplayers flakier!). They finally found software that works, and kept it.

I received the discontinued/free upgrade letter but I haven't had a chance to call DISH yet. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm going to be sorry to see em' go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)