Why is DVR not free? Is there a better deal?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Update@!

Well I called D today and told them I was a 10 year Dish Customer looking for a new marriage. I said I was not going to switch for $300.00 to Direct for 1 Hd-dvr and 1 Sd-dvr. I said Dish is giving it away and in fair competition I could easily sign up immediatly to Direct and be with them for many years at over 130.00 monthly programming. The CSR said she could give me the SD-DVR for free and the HD at 199.00 I reluctantly agreed. Then she comes back after putting me on hold and says she made a mistake and could not give it to me for free.

I said no way am I coming over to Direct at 300.00 for 2 recievers. I ask if a supervisor is available. She says the supervisor is the one that took away the deal she already offered.

So I guess I stay with Dish. No way I am being robbed out of the gate when Dish and cable have free boxes. What a ripoff!

The best way to change to D* is to get started with their special offer and gradually build on that.

I realize that won't work for everyone, but I got all the D* stuff in my signature for about $200 over the last year, and another HD DVR coming next week for $20.

Well I called D today and told them I was a 10 year Dish Customer looking for a new marriage. I said I was not going to switch for $300.00 to Direct for 1 Hd-dvr and 1 Sd-dvr. I said Dish is giving it away and in fair competition I could easily sign up immediatly to Direct and be with them for many years at over 130.00 monthly programming. The CSR said she could give me the SD-DVR for free and the HD at 199.00 I reluctantly agreed. Then she comes back after putting me on hold and says she made a mistake and could not give it to me for free.

I said no way am I coming over to Direct at 300.00 for 2 recievers. I ask if a supervisor is available. She says the supervisor is the one that took away the deal she already offered.

So I guess I stay with Dish. No way I am being robbed out of the gate when Dish and cable have free boxes. What a ripoff!

Suggest you try talking to more than just 1 CSR and see what kind of deals they offer.Also have heard of subscribers getting good deals with Sunday Ticket.Good Luck!:)

HOw so? How will it all be free in a few months anyway? Are they going to stop charging for their hd dvrs? I always felt that Dish had the advantage over Directv anyway with their free dvrs and receivers. Directv has been charging for all their stuff and it is supposed to be lease only now.

MikeD brings up a good point. I've been wondering for a while if Directv was going to match Dish's offer sometime in the near future. I understand Dish's higher per month cost, but it would be intersting to see the recent subscription stats for both since Dish cut the upfront HD-DVR cost. If they loose market share, can Directv afford to still charge $$$ upfront fee for HD-DVR?

I wouldn't be surprised if they charge $5-$10 more a month for HD-DVR (through higher HD plan or DVR charges), and drop the upfront cost for a DVR.

I wish Directv receivers were all free and made it easier for folks to get them. However, the reality is its not direct and straightforward. It is, however, achievable to get free equipment. Its a combo of persistence, getting the right retention rep or CSR, negotiating a bit, and sometimes calling back a few times. The longer you are with Directv and the more you subscribe to, the better your chances. Also mentioning other provider's deals and threatening to cancel increase your odds. I dont like it but its the environment and a good deal of us have been successful at it. Its like car dealing. If you know how to work it and have the facts about MSRP versus Deal Invoice, you will have more success then someone buying a car based on feel and no research.

That's what I'm waiting for. As soon as D* starts offering the HD/DVR receiver for free, I'm in.

I called three times for a Free HD DVR, I wanted to add a second one. All three times I was polite and was given the 299 cost the first two times. The third time I got it for 19.95 (Just the Shipping cost). Could not say no to that!

If you are not in a rush and want to try a few times, it may pay off for a discounted rate or free

Last edited:
HOw so? How will it all be free in a few months anyway? Are they going to stop charging for their hd dvrs? I always felt that Dish had the advantage over Directv anyway with their free dvrs and receivers. Directv has been charging for all their stuff and it is supposed to be lease only now.
I meant the $199 fee for leasing the HDDVR. I really dont think its going to be around a lot longer. I expect it will be 99 bucks soon and then zero once FIOS adds more channels and cable goes to digital switching. I think the days of lease upgrade fees are numbered.

Last edited:
I meant the $199 fee for leasing the HDDVR. I really dont think its going to be around a lot longer. I expect it will be 99 bucks soon and then zero once FIOS adds more channels and cable goes to digital switching. I think the days of lease upgrade fees are numbered.

Good idea. I think that paying a large fee just so you and then rent is a little outdated model anyway. IN my area of the country lease deals do terribly. We like to OWN not rent. THat is why I have paid for all my receivers with DISH and I can do what I want to with them. IF Directv follows DISH's trend they will be on more even footing competing with them. I might consider using one of their hd receivers then.

I called three times for a Free HD DVR, I wanted to add a second one. The first two times I was polite and was given the 299 cost. This time I got it for 19.95 (Just the Shipping cost).

If you are not in a rush and want to try a few times, it may pay off for a discounted rate or free

We went the same route as Satjay; and only had to call a second time; no threats, no tricks over cancellation. Just mentioned we think we are ready to upgrade our current HD setup and PhaseIII for the newer HD with DVR and the 5LNB, there was no hassles and got it for free; just paid shipping and tech came out rand the 2nd line in the den to accommodate the HD DVR and replaced the dish. All told, 20 mins on the phone and a 40 mins tech visit. All the old gear is in the garage.

Good idea. I think that paying a large fee just so you and then rent is a little outdated model anyway. IN my area of the country lease deals do terribly. We like to OWN not rent. THat is why I have paid for all my receivers with DISH and I can do what I want to with them. IF Directv follows DISH's trend they will be on more even footing competing with them. I might consider using one of their hd receivers then.

Though I too feel this would be a good idea ....
D* got their "Leasing" idea FROM DISH Network, for many years DISH had a lease plan going whiule all others were buy.

I also OWN all my rec's up to my last 2 HR20's, those that have no option for me at least.
I was not going to pay $800 for them (each) and not have them covered if something goes bad with them.
At least with the lease ($ 5) it will take a whole lot longer for me to spend that addl. $ 600, ( I originally paid $200) if I do the math correctly, it would take me 120 months to reach that amount of cost.
120 months is 10 years, I hardly think I will have this same unit in 10 years.

btw, if something Does go bad with them, D* replaces them.

Jimbo

I ment that if Directv follows Dish's trend of not charging for an hd dvr lease they will be on better footing competitively. By the way Dish replaces all of my receivers when they go down too with no shipping and handeling fees. I just add the dish home protection plan for 5.99 and then drop it when they have replaced my recevier , or lnb. VERy cheap and I can add it and drop it as much as I want. Have had a lot of receivers and lnbs replaced over the 10 and a half years I've been with DISH and I owned all of them . I like the fact that when you own a receiver you can trade it in to places like dishdepot.com towards newer better receivers. I can also sell them on e-bay if I wanted to. The two 622s I bought in February of 2006 only costed me about 750.00 total after trade ins of older 942s and some older deactivated DISH receivers I traded into Dishdepot.com. That was a good price for brand new 622 when they first debuted at 750.00. I got two for the price of one. There is always an upside to owning in my book.

That's what I'm waiting for. As soon as D* starts offering the HD/DVR receiver for free, I'm in.

They may never do that. If you have patience, you can start with their introductory offer and build up to your full system over a year's time.

That's what I did--paid my bill early electronically, kept the Premier package, etc., and they gradually let me have all the D* equipment in my signature for about $250, plus another HR20 to be installed next week for $20. And $100 of the $250 cost was for the H20 I bought at Circuit City.

I broke down and ordered the free standard HD reciever for 99.00 and the free sd-dvr plus installation for free. The supervisor said if I want to upgrade to the HD-drv that I can at ANY time upgrade for the current offered price (currently 199.00) She said it may go down to 99.00 in Sept so I am better to wait. She said there is no 6 month rule before upgrades as some said here.

So away we go on Sunday!

There is not a six month rule between upgrades.

The six month rule is that every six months, you will be eligible for the "best" offer on your upgrade.

She told me I can get the BEST OFFER at any time if account is current.

I'm getting my HR20 for $19.95, but I couldn't do that until I waited six months between upgrades.

And some people are getting them for $0, somehow. Certainly you can get one for $199 anytime, but that is pretty far from the "best" offer.:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)