Why is DVR not free? Is there a better deal?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

iceshark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Pacific Northwest
9 year Dishnet guy who has finally given up on waiting for NFL. I currently have a Dish 622 and a 508.

My question is that I went to Directv website to sign up and it gives me a HD DVR model h-20? (hopefully as good as my 622) for a fair price of 199.00 after instant rebate. Same or about same as my 622 was.

My problem is when I go to checkout my start up is $324.00 !!! YIKES! I drilled down and found that is due to them charging me $100.00 for my second rooms basic DVR. With dish they do not charge for the extra DVR's only the extra per month charge. This seem rude! Is there a different way around this extra charge?

Thanks!

customer retion dial dtv ask to speak to customer retention

metion you were with *ish for 9 years yada yada

tell them you want 2 hr20 hddvrs for 199.00, hggle with them see what you come up with mention your a hockey/football fan

dtv has one dvr fee per account no matter how many dvrs you have
a 5.99 per month fee

the h20 is a free upgrade but its only an hd receiver, not dvr.
I understand that. I chose the option for the 199.00 ( 100 bucks off) HD-DVR. However I must pay full price for regular DVR for other room. Dish gives everything free except the HD-dvr. This is bogus.

I understand that. I chose the option for the 199.00 ( 100 bucks off) HD-DVR. However I must pay full price for regular DVR for other room. Dish gives everything free except the HD-dvr. This is bogus.
If you feel that way stick with DISH. Just remember DISH charges you per DVR so that is $72 per year, isn't a 1 time $99 fee cheaper in the long term.:)

True. however Dish gives customer an option with their HD-DVR 622 to use in multiple rooms. This way its only 5.99 as DTV is as well. I just like the independant use of another true DVR in other room. It seem the DTV HD-DVR is a single room application reciever only. So even if I want to use for 2 rooms like 622 I can not! Am I correct? Oh and I would gladly stay with Dish, however I moved and need my home town NFL team on Sundays. DTV is the only way!

You could get everything except the HD-DVR free and then pay the full $299 for the HR20. Essentially you get $100 off the total. If your account is in good standing, you can do get another $100 discount every six months or so.

You can get an RF modulator and feed the composite (or s-video) plus audio into it and run that to another room but it will not display a separate channel.

You could get everything except the HD-DVR free and then pay the full $299 for the HR20. Essentially you get $100 off the total. If your account is in good standing, you can do get another $100 discount every six months or so.

You can get an RF modulator and feed the composite (or s-video) plus audio into it and run that to another room but it will not display a separate channel.

They will only give you one dvr or Hd non dvr with promos. Still does not work.

Yes your second DVR there is a $5. Lease Fee.But no DVR Fee.;)

True, I pay the second dvr fee, but not the lease fee. One of my dvr's controls 2 tv's, so with D*, I would actually pay $16 for equipment, as opposed to the $12 that I currently pay E*.

True. however Dish gives customer an option with their HD-DVR 622 to use in multiple rooms. This way its only 5.99 as DTV is as well. I just like the independant use of another true DVR in other room. It seem the DTV HD-DVR is a single room application reciever only. So even if I want to use for 2 rooms like 622 I can not! Am I correct? Oh and I would gladly stay with Dish, however I moved and need my home town NFL team on Sundays. DTV is the only way!

I have to see my team too. Sundays are a lot of fun with the "Ticket"

The problem with Dish Networks DVRS is that if two TV are connected, essentially, each TV is getting ONE tuner where as with D* each room gets two tuners. Dish is just trying to keep it cheap by using one box for two rooms. I personally would rather have two tuners per TV rather than one.

True, I pay the second dvr fee, but not the lease fee. One of my dvr's controls 2 tv's, so with D*, I would actually pay $16 for equipment, as opposed to the $12 that I currently pay E*.

But if you want HD programming to a second HDTV you would need another
HDDVR with E* also cause the 2nd TV output is SD with E*'s HDDVR.;)

The problem with Dish Networks DVRS is that if two TV are connected, essentially, each TV is getting ONE tuner where as with D* each room gets two tuners. Dish is just trying to keep it cheap by using one box for two rooms. I personally would rather have two tuners per TV rather than one.

The 622 can be put in single mode which allows for dual (actually triple) recording, PIP, etc. Dish is allowing customers to use the box to support two rooms so that it is cheaper and allows you to share recordings. However, you can still use it as a standard dual tuner DVR.

Wrong. You would pay the second lease fee for D* (the first is included your basic package price) of $4.99 and 1 DVR fee of $5.99; total equipment charges = $10.98

You would then have 2 DVRs, controlling 2 TVs. A total of 4 tuners.

Wrong. You would pay the second lease fee for D* (the first is included your basic package price) of $4.99 and 1 DVR fee of $5.99; total equipment charges = $10.98

You would then have 2 DVRs, controlling 2 TVs. A total of 4 tuners.

So the third receiver with D* is free? I have never hear of that before. If you have a dvr in one room and a second receiver in another you are getting charged $11. Are you saying that D* doesn't charge for the third receiver? Interesting, however, I have to admit that I don't believe it for a second. :confused:

So the third receiver with D* is free? I have never hear of that before. If you have a dvr in one room and a second receiver in another you are getting charged $11. Are you saying that D* doesn't charge for the third receiver? Interesting, however, I have to admit that I don't believe it for a second. :confused:

Sorry, my bad. I didn't see that the OP had a 622 and 508. :eek:

Sorry, my bad. I didn't see that the OP had a 622 and 508. :eek:

No prob, I'm switching from E* to D* at the end of August if E* doesn't get BTN (which they won't). So, I definitely want to find out how much I'll be paying for 3 rooms. I thought maybe you had some tricks I needed to know about. ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)