Jhon69

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
Central San Joaquin Valley,CA.
I cannot see a reason why because I pay for the HBO package,but cannot receive

HBO Zone on my 625.I am setup for 119/110/w wing dish at 129.I know there are

those that will say to go with an MPEG4 DVR,well here's the difference...2-120

minute live buffers with the Dish 625 I consider this DVR the best in the DVR market.

The only benefit with Dish is that DirecTV has even less Premium Movie channels in

standard definition that you pay for.Just needed to vent......:rant:

The main reason they did that is to get more people to switch from sd programming and upgrade to hd.You will have to get hd to get HBO ZONE:mad:
Im sure in time DISH will probably do that with Cinemax in the future,when they will eventually add THRILLERMAX,@MAX,OUTERMAX,W-MAX and more.

I really loved my 625...

Until I got a 722k!

Now the 625 is for the kids.

It's really worth the switch to HD. Many more channels, not just HBOZ. Plus we just got 8 more...

Switch and you'll never look back.

Get a HD receiver even if you dont have a HDTV. :)

The receiver will downconvert the HD so you can see it on your SDTV. :D

Exactly, I had the VIP 211 two years before I finally took the plunge and got the HDTV. And there are many advantages, you get more channels, (I subscribed to whatever HD plan they had at the time) and I was looking at the future. I didn't want to have to have dish come back out and upgrade my dish when I did get the HDTV, because I knew I would be getting it.

It looks very nice, too. We have one SD TV in the living room that has a Duo HD receiver hooked up to it via component cable. Of course, we had to set the resolution to 480i, and for TV screen format, I selected 4x3 #2. What is nice is that you can watch the HD channels on TV2 downcoverted. We also have an HD TV in the bedroom, and it has a nice picture as well with a Duo HD receiver. Again, we can watch the HD channels on TV 2 downcoverted. This allows everyone in the house to have access to the same channels. At a relative's house, the situation is not always nice with D*. Not to bash D*, but it does get annoying when the living room has the HD reciever and the other two rooms have the SD recievers. So, MGM HD and HDNet Movies cannot be watched in the bedrooms with the SD recievers. However, with Dish, you can with a Duo HD receiver. I guess it all comes down to the setup that you want. Some people probably do not care if the channels cannot be accessed in all rooms.

The programmer's are already sending a downrezzed HD picture to Dish and DirecTV.

When the programmer announces they are now in HD I have noticed that my PQ is

clearer and the colors are deeper.So I see no advantage to converting my DVR for a

HDDVR because I care for nothing I can receive with the internet(already tried it

on a DirecTV R22.)

Being on a fixed income makes me think twice about paying $10. extra for programming with a SDTV.

Plus there's the upfront lease fees that both providers charge for upgrades.

So I will just stay with my Dish 625(which I received free) and my 50" RPTV until Dish forces me to upgrade.

Which I know will happen when Dish will want to complete the Western Arc.

At least then there is a good chance they will not charge me an upfront fee because

it will be something that they have to do to retain my subscription.;)

Plus there's the upfront lease fees that both providers charge for upgrades.

I got my 722k free. Free upgrade and free install. I didn't believe them at first and asked several times before I said ok. And it was true...completely free.

I got my 625 less than a year prior.

I paid $50 for the 625 install.

I got my 722k free. Free upgrade and free install. I didn't believe them at first and asked several times before I said ok. And it was true...completely free.

I got my 625 less than a year prior.

I paid $50 for the 625 install.

Unfortunately it appears that those days are over, and Dish is going to make us pay pay pay for any equipment changes/upgrades.

There's very little unique content on Zone, but I don't think there should be any "HD only" channels especially when a SD version is readily available from other providers.

Yeah we have the 612 dvr in the living room, and the bedrooms each have the solo hd receivers. I only have a SD tv in my room, and I ONLY watch the HD channels on it. I don't mind the letterbox, and the audio quality IS much better. :)

There's very little unique content on Zone, but I don't think there should be any "HD only" channels especially when a SD version is readily available from other providers.
Agree as well.
Tell that to D* too, with their Starz Channels (Kids&Family HD,Comedy HD only)
D* charges more then anyone for premiums and offers the least amount in SD and HD.

Agree as well.
Tell that to D* too, with their Starz Channels (Kids&Family HD,Comedy HD only)
D* charges more then anyone for premiums and offers the least amount in SD and HD.

I hear you on that point Hemi 6.1.Guess I will just have to tough it out as my Dish

625 has something that both the Dish VIPs and DirecTV's HR2xs and my R22 does

not have 2-120 minute live buffers.:D

Man DirecTV must be getting desperate got an offer from DirecTV yesterday they

want to pay off my contract with Dish and give me $26. off my package for a year

plus 3 months of HBO &Showtime.:deal::hungry:

Let's face it: providers like Dish are no longer interested in SD channels and take any new ones only because they have to. I'm certain HBO wanted Dish to take the SD feed, as well, but Dish didn't because they aren't interested in spending any more money on SD as it would have cost extra. Dish and others are now focusing on enhancing their HD line-up, not the SD line-up, and prodding SD folks to convert to HD. Sorry, but it seems like they are through going through hoops for SD, and even the channels themselves are more feverishly trying to get carriage for the HD feeds, even if it is without the SD feed. Even the TV ads crow about the number of HD channels, not SD channels. That should tell us a lot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts