Why is Hopper 3 DLNA so awful?

CubsWin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 17, 2005
Bourbonnais, IL
Maybe it is just me and something to do with my setup, but I have never had so many issues with any DLNA client before. My Smart TV's all work perfectly connecting to my MediaMonkey server. Apps on my Android phone work perfectly. Even previous versions of the Hopper worked fine.

The Hopper 3 is a complete mess though. It won't play podcasts in their native format unless I transcode to a constant bit rate. Even after doing that, my success rate is around 50% at best. When navigating through the directory structure in the Hopper UI, it often hangs up when loading a folder and then the only option to try to play content is to reboot the receiver. Occasionally the receiver will even stop functioning entirely after such a failure occurs.

The Hopper is my preferred DLNA option because I can access it in virtually everywhere in my house through a Dish receiver, but at this point is just isn't worth the hassle. Does anyone else have trouble with Hopper 3 DLNA?

DLNA is no longer what it was in the beginning. It is been mutated to fit individual manufacturers conception of what they think file playback should be. This includes DRM and other file screening protocols. I use PLEX as my media server on a on a Mac Pro editing station to alleviate any confusion in individual manufacturers interpretation of the protocol. At one point in time you could stream anything using DLNA, one size fit all, and now it's a crapshoot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)