Why is Sammy LN46A550 not 1080p compatible?

its4us2think

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
When I try to download the 1080p program through dish online, it says my tv is not compatible for the signal. I have connected it using HDMI and it supposed to be 1080p resolution tv, why is Dish 722 complaining?

1080p

Your set is a mid-level TV that does 1080p/60 ( 60 frames per second ). Dish downloads are 1080p/24 ( this is the frame rate of the original ). Your TV can not display the 1080p/24 signal that Dish sends. However, you can watch the movie in 1080i, the same as with the other HD movies on Dish. :)

Thanks! So, 1080p content by dish is really for high end TVs. I did some googling around and saw that most of the movies are made in 24 fps and blu-ray works the best on a 24fps supported tv. If it is so, why does Samsung makes these tvs? Is it too expensive to make them support 24fps?

God, there are so many things to look for when buying a tv!! :-(

It has nothing to do with his TV. 1080P from DishOnline is not working. It never actually check to see if your TV is compatable, it just fails right away.

120Hz sets cost more because they require an LCD panel with faster response time. Faster response time == more expensive.

What I read from internet is it is more of an issue of being multiple of 24 as they find it tough to put in 24 fps source into 60fps screen. as there will be some gap, so they use 3:2 kind of ratio and fill in some black frames. If that was what was known, I am not sure why they could not do something like 72Hz or 48 Hz, so that most of the known sources are handled properly.

Well what ever I am saying is based on what I read on internet, still it makes me mad to think that there are so many inner details that one need to pay attention, where as there _could_ have been a better way tv manufacturers could have addressed the solution and advertised their offering. Instead of giving away numbers like 120Hz!!

What I read from internet is it is more of an issue of being multiple of 24 as they find it tough to put in 24 fps source into 60fps screen. as there will be some gap, so they use 3:2 kind of ratio and fill in some black frames. If that was what was known, I am not sure why they could not do something like 72Hz or 48 Hz, so that most of the known sources are handled properly.

Well what ever I am saying is based on what I read on internet, still it makes me mad to think that there are so many inner details that one need to pay attention, where as there _could_ have been a better way tv manufacturers could have addressed the solution and advertised their offering. Instead of giving away numbers like 120Hz!!
72 and 48 are not multiples of 30 which is what most created for Television content is filmed at.

I'm waiting for the 922 that does 1080p. Then I imagine that all tvs will be compatible with the video on demand in 1080p. That should eliminate the problems with various tvs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)