Why is this so hard?

knkayotte

Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
I'm trying to upgrad to HD, currently have a Dish 500 system which has been great for 6+ years.

Called local install company who said they can't upgrade me because they weren't the original installers. Told they didn't even think they could sell me the equipment if I wanted to do a self install. Have to go through dish directly. No problem, call dish, told them I do not have a traditional phone line, I use VOIP.

They said I can't upgrade because I have to be hooked to a phone line. Is this true, I'll never be able to upgrade because I'm on VOIP? I know there are major issues with analog system hooking up to digital VOIP services, so I'm assuming it's not going to work.

I've been told by others I don't need a phone line. I was told main reason for phone line is PPV movies which I never ever order. All updates are done via satellite.

If I can get by this hurdle, what are my options. I want HD, I'd also like to record as well but was told the HD-DVR unit is sub-par to TIVO units. I should get an HD receiver and seperate tivo unit, do you all agree with that?

I'm out of date on all of this stuff, so any input is welcomed.

I should add, I was planning on buying the equipment, my last receivers lasted me 6 years, so leasing wouldn't make much sense for me. I'm also good at installing this stuff so that does bother me either, I've relocated my 500 system at least 4 times.

Last edited:
The local dealer wasn't lying about the DIU upgrade but if you are willing to pay the retail prices they can sell you equipment. Play CSR roulette call until you are exhausted or you get the answer you want.

Talk to the HD Tech department instead of a regular CS person. You dont need a phone line to upgrade but they will charge an extra $5 for not having it.

You do not have to have a phone line connected to a receiver though if its a dvr type you will have to pay extra for not having the phone line hooked up unless you have a voip system that can simulate a dial tone, I think I remember one or two of the members here having success with voip and dish equipment.

I use vonage and it works part of the time...
just call dish and when they ask if you have a phone line say.... umm, yeah
give them the voip number and be done with it... when they come out to do the upgrade, if it is the 622, the installer can call to bypass the phone check,

knkayotte said:
I want HD, I'd also like to record as well but was told the HD-DVR unit is sub-par to TIVO units. I should get an HD receiver and seperate tivo unit, do you all agree with that?

The VIP 622 is a great DVR, with some issues that are being/have been worked out. PLUS Tivo does not have a unit that can record HD yet.

yaz96 said:
The VIP 622 is a great DVR, with some issues that are being/have been worked out. PLUS Tivo does not have a unit that can record HD yet.

riggscm said:
I advise you to check Tivo.com. The HD TiVo is there

Except it does not work with DBS. From the TiVo FAQ:

Q: Does the Series3 HD DVR work with satellite programming?

A: No. Series3 HD box provides access to HD Digital Cable, analog cable and ATSC over-the-air signals. Satellite programming is not supported.

Last edited:
knkayotte said:
I'm trying to upgrad to HD, currently have a Dish 500 system which has been great for 6+ years.

Called local install company who said they can't upgrade me because they weren't the original installers. Told they didn't even think they could sell me the equipment if I wanted to do a self install. Have to go through dish directly. No problem, call dish, told them I do not have a traditional phone line, I use VOIP.

They said I can't upgrade because I have to be hooked to a phone line. Is this true, I'll never be able to upgrade because I'm on VOIP? I know there are major issues with analog system hooking up to digital VOIP services, so I'm assuming it's not going to work.

I've been told by others I don't need a phone line. I was told main reason for phone line is PPV movies which I never ever order. All updates are done via satellite.

If I can get by this hurdle, what are my options. I want HD, I'd also like to record as well but was told the HD-DVR unit is sub-par to TIVO units. I should get an HD receiver and seperate tivo unit, do you all agree with that?

I'm out of date on all of this stuff, so any input is welcomed.

I should add, I was planning on buying the equipment, my last receivers lasted me 6 years, so leasing wouldn't make much sense for me. I'm also good at installing this stuff so that does bother me either, I've relocated my 500 system at least 4 times.

The dealer was correct...The CSR was wrong..Very wrong..
While Dish does encourage all custs to connect a land based phone line, it is NOT required.......If you intend on getting a dual tuner you'll pay an add'l outlet fee if no phone line is connected..BTW, VoIP is fine..As long as the jack which you intend to connect the receiver to is hot..

lego of my disho

riggscm said:
I advise you to check Tivo.com. The HD TiVo is there
Interesting, very interesting. Only it costs over a thousand dollars with cheapest subscription and a three year commitment to a particular box. Think I'll wait.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)