Why no HD locals through my dish?

whicky1978 said:
I have a digital television, do I need a special antenna to get those channels? Will they travel farther?

Code:
[B]Nashville[/B]
WNAB     WB    58.n    23 
WUXP    UPN    30.n    21 
WNPT    PBS     8.n    46 
WCTE    PBS    22.n    52 
WNPX    PAX    28.n    36 
[COLOR=Red]WSMV    NBC     4.n    10 [/COLOR] 
WHTN    IND    39.n    38 
WJFB    IND    66.n    44 
WPGD    IND    50.n    51 
WZTV    FOX    17.n    15 
[COLOR=Red]WTVF    CBS     5.n    56 [/COLOR] 
WKRN    ABC     2.n    27

Hey whicky,

Being about same miles away from Nashville as you, but north instead of west:
(1) cost me over $100 in parts and labor to try to get HD OTA
(2) tried Winegard HD9095P antenna and Winegard AP4800 preamp 28db
(3) got FOX with 90 signal
(4) sometimes got WB and ABC with 55-78 signal that dropped out. Couldn't get the rest.
(5) worked out a deal ahead of time with installer to return antenna and preamp for full refund if he couldn't get all stations
(6) problem was that I am in a valley below road level plus partially blocked by hill 1/2 mile away. If you have flatter land and your neighbors are able to get the analog channels with an outdoor antenna, then you may be more successful getting HD OTA.

Last edited:
stuart628 said:
I believe its 3 SD channels to 1 high def, and with the HDLite currently being run it would be 2 SD channels to 1 :eek:
Actually it's 6.5 to 1 for normal 1080i. About 3 to 1 for 720p (at 30 frames and not 60 frames). If mpeg4 is used (for satellite HD channels) then cut that number in half.

As far as HD-Lite if the source has reduced resolution to start with and then upconverted to full 1080i then I would imagine some saving in the bitstream after it's compressed. An example may be PBS-HD which has half the normal bandwidth of normal HD this allows them to send both HD and SD subchannels.

goaliebob99 said:
Also on a last note. we may Babel get national hd soon. as soon as dish is done testing them. if we do and you are in a white area.. you should easily qualify with a waver.

I currently am grandfathered in for East and west distants and get CBS HD. If east and west big four HD is offered will the fact that I have distants qualify me for the other Distants in HD?

Seems so, but you never know?

NOHDjunkie said:
I currently am grandfathered in for East and west distants and get CBS HD. If east and west big four HD is offered will the fact that I have distants qualify me for the other Distants in HD?

I'm in the same boat - all we can do for now is hope.

NOHDjunkie said:

Thats what im assuming too.. but no one knows for sure. (thanks I just noticed a spelling error in that to beabel is be able. ):)

goaliebob99 said:
Thats what im assuming too.. but no one knows for sure. (thanks I just noticed a spelling error in that to beabel is be able. ):)
I asked that very question of a senior CSR. He said yes we would. But he was not sure if we needed to call to remind them to turn us on or if their system would do it automatically. I think it depends on where they put those feeds. For example, with CBS-HD you have to call since they are only on 61.5 or 148, and not many folks in Colorado have either of those dish locations.

question on 2 tuners on 625 and 942 dvr.

Question for *E Installers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)