Why no HD locals through my dish?

whicky1978

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
Clarksville, Tennessee
I get local channels with my subscription, but not HD locals. I live in a white area and can not get OTA broadcasts. So why does DN not offer these channels as well through thier 110 Satellite?:cool:

I may email them and ask.

whicky1978 said:
I get local channels with my subscription, but not HD locals. I live in a white area and can not get OTA broadcasts. So why does DN not offer these channels as well through thier 110 Satellite?:cool:

I may email them and ask.
have you checked to make sure you are in a white area....
Be patient......HD is on the way....
DN is keeping their stuff close to the vest but MPEG 4 is scoming ..That's going to provide the necessary compression to allow for more HD...
It is my undrstanding that white area viewers are eligible for out of market locals....Check into it..

dishcomm said:
whicky1978 said:
I get local channels with my subscription,

OOPS..I didn't see that...Since you get locals thru your DN sub..You are not eligible for distant locals...sorry

Of course eligibility isn't the only issue, there's also the fact that currently Dish only has NY/LA CBS HD anyways.

dishcomm said:
DN is keeping their stuff close to the vest but MPEG 4 is scoming ...

Didn't the latest Tech Chat say that E* wasn't happy with the MPEG4 results that they've seen so far so delaying any rollout, but looking to use Turbo-8PSK instead?

rad said:
Didn't the latest Tech Chat say that E* wasn't happy with the MPEG4 results that they've seen so far so delaying any rollout, but looking to use Turbo-8PSK instead?
Correct. We're not going to be seeing MPEG-4 for quite some time.

whicky1978 said:
Yeah, they said I would need a waiver and another dish to get CBS HD. I would settle for DVD quality. Because of the size of my TV, I see pixelation real easy.

how far have you gone in checking to see if your in a white area? when I check erin tenn. zip code I find with a large anntena you could pick up several local stations!

violet - uhf WZTV 17 FOX NASHVILLE TN 105° 45.9 17
violet - uhf WUXP 30 UPN NASHVILLE TN 94° 48.6 30
violet - vhf WSMV 4 NBC NASHVILLE TN 105° 45.9 4
violet - uhf WPGD 50 TBN HENDERSONVILLE TN 81° 66.9 50
violet - vhf WTVF 5 CBS NASHVILLE TN 94° 48.9 5
violet - vhf WNPT 8 PBS NASHVILLE TN 112° 49.6 8
violet - uhf WKMU 21 PBS MURRAY KY 301° 55.6 21
violet - uhf WNAB 58 WB NASHVILLE TN 94° 48.5 58
violet - vhf WKRN 2 ABC NASHVILLE TN 112° 49.6 2
violet - uhf WCKV-LP 49 FMN CLARKSVILLE, ETC. TN 57° 16.4 49
Note:

try antennaweb.org and type your physical address in and see! hope this helps!

stuart628 said:
how far have you gone in checking to see if your in a white area? when I check erin tenn. zip code I find with a large anntena you could pick up several local stations!

violet - uhf WZTV 17 FOX NASHVILLE TN 105° 45.9 17
violet - uhf WUXP 30 UPN NASHVILLE TN 94° 48.6 30
violet - vhf WSMV 4 NBC NASHVILLE TN 105° 45.9 4
violet - uhf WPGD 50 TBN HENDERSONVILLE TN 81° 66.9 50
violet - vhf WTVF 5 CBS NASHVILLE TN 94° 48.9 5
violet - vhf WNPT 8 PBS NASHVILLE TN 112° 49.6 8
violet - uhf WKMU 21 PBS MURRAY KY 301° 55.6 21
violet - uhf WNAB 58 WB NASHVILLE TN 94° 48.5 58
violet - vhf WKRN 2 ABC NASHVILLE TN 112° 49.6 2
violet - uhf WCKV-LP 49 FMN CLARKSVILLE, ETC. TN 57° 16.4 49
Note:

try antennaweb.org and type your physical address in and see! hope this helps!
Well, I'm 50 miles from all of those channels. Also, others I talk to say they get no TV. I'm not sure how I can hook up a large attenna. Would a regular antenna get me HD locals as well? Or does it require a special antenna?

whicky1978 said:
Well, I'm 50 miles from all of those channels. Also, others I talk to say they get no TV. I'm not sure how I can hook up a large attenna. Would a regular antenna get me HD locals as well? Or does it require a special antenna?
Code:
[B]Nashville[/B]
  WNAB     WB    58.n    23 
  WUXP    UPN    30.n    21 
  WNPT    PBS     8.n    46 
  WCTE    PBS    22.n    52 
  WNPX    PAX    28.n    36 
  [COLOR=Red]WSMV    NBC     4.n    10 [/COLOR] 
  WHTN    IND    39.n    38 
  WJFB    IND    66.n    44 
  WPGD    IND    50.n    51 
  WZTV    FOX    17.n    15 
  [COLOR=Red]WTVF    CBS     5.n    56 [/COLOR] 
  WKRN    ABC     2.n    27
Normally I would recommend a CM4228 (UHF only antenna) with preamp but I have some concern about one station. The CBS at chan 56 might revert back to chan 5 after analog broadcast end and if that happens then it could become troublesome with that antenna. The NBC at chan 10 should not be a problem because that partular UHF antenna should get decent gain levels for channels 9-13 as well.

The CM4228 is a 1 meter square grid with 8 bowtie elements on it. You may need a rotor because this antenna is extremely directional.

Since you rent your landlord will have to approve the install and another coax (and possible rotor cable) will be required.

I just realized something. I get all of my local channes twice. I get them on the numbers that they are OTA and I get them in the 8000's where they normally are. Couldn't this be changed so that there were HD locals sent to my dish/

whicky1978 said:
I just realized something. I get all of my local channes twice. I get them on the numbers that they are OTA and I get them in the 8000's where they normally are. Couldn't this be changed so that there were HD locals sent to my dish/

No. Dish only sends it once, it's just addressable by two different numbers. Also it takes 6 SD channels worth of bandwidth to send one HD channel. It's not going to happen until Dish gets more transponder licenses and launches new satellites.

GeorgeLV said:
No. Dish only sends it once, it's just addressable by two different numbers. Also it takes 6 SD channels worth of bandwidth to send one HD channel. It's not going to happen until Dish gets more transponder licenses and launches new satellites.

I believe its 3 SD channels to 1 high def, and with the HDLite currently being run it would be 2 SD channels to 1 :eek:

Can that be right? The 921 uses the approximation of 7 hours of SD for 1 of HD. YMMV, in particular 720p OTA seems to require less than 1080i, OTA obviously.
We also see reports of up to say 13 SD (locals) per transponder but other reports of only 2+ (1920) or 3 (1280) of HD. That would be say ~6 SD for full HD, ~4 SD to one HDLite.

-Ken

6-7 SD channels per 1 HD channel is correct. Remember that the transponders that have 3 HD channels are 8PSK which had 1.5 times as much bandwidth as the QPSK transponders. (8PSK is not used for SD because: 1) not all of the old receivers support it and 2) the satellite needs to send more power to use a transponder in 8PSK mode and the solar panels can only deliver so much)

right now all hd is in 8psk.... and compared to 6-7 channels on a tp normally.. as George said.. is true.. but dish is moving to 8psk for every tp to help out with bandwidth. I think we could soon see a receiver swap start to happen as dish makes this move.. by that time mpg 4 transition will begin. Hang tight for you locals.. it might be up to 2 years before you see them.. anywhere other than dtv.. thats were you have to make a choice... locals or the place that has the most national hd programming.. Also on a last note. we may Babel get national hd soon. as soon as dish is done testing them. if we do and you are in a white area.. you should easily qualify with a waver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts