Why No local HD Channels for 942,921,811,etc.

Sat Surfer

Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
Just watched Super Bowl in HD. Why can't Dish keep giving us ABCHD and other Local HD channels? We already get CBSHD whats another 4 more. I'm not gonna lease or buy a new 622, just paid $600.00 for 942 6 months ago.

yea I dont understand why its going to take them so long to get the HD feed for all the locals. I would imagine the hardest part would be getting the feed, but since they already have the analog feed I dont see the problem

Tom Bombadil said:
If you don't go to a 211/411/622, then you are not going to get HD locals. Dish has decided.

Don't rush into upgrading. It may be over a year before you see YOUR locals. Keep your 942 till a better deal arrives.

The whole thing comes down to bandwidth. Mpeg4 will allow more channels on the same amount of bandwidth than mpeg2. All the new locals are mpeg4 so the 811/921/942 will not see them. In order to put 48 sets of networks (plus other HD channels) E* need the bandwidth. The ABC-HD feed Sat Surfer spoke of was not available to the major part of the country. Keeping it up doesn't make sense over the long run of supplying the channels. The ABC-HD feed was more of a present for the few who could see it.

Sat Surfer said:
Just watched Super Bowl in HD. Why can't Dish keep giving us ABCHD and other Local HD channels? We already get CBSHD whats another 4 more. I'm not gonna lease or buy a new 622, just paid $600.00 for 942 6 months ago.

I don't know if you are aware, but after Feb 1st E* will not even activate an mpeg2 receiver as an HD receiver. If you drop your HD programing or sell your 942 to someone else & then activate it will only pick up SD channels from E*.

This also applies to the 921, 811, & 6000 receivers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)