Why no new competitor equipment upgrades?

What's the point of using SSD in those applications? You don't need the higher iops and the spinning rust drives have an awfully low failure rate in non-mobile applications. Just wondering your use case.

When I installed these drives in my home computers it increased the FSB speed, which in turn made the computers about 60% faster, (Using Benchmark Speed Comparisons) and much of my software performed much better, like AutoCad & Bluebeam. I'm not sure how they'll pan out when it comes to longevity in a surveillance DVR.

They seem to work great in a 6 bay server I set up for a friend at his business. It's been up for over a year and no problems so far. As far as the failure rate with SRD's, that depends on which brand you use. I'm a firm believer in Western Digital. Some of the others are way down on the list. :)

Reactions: joewhite57
Samsung’s 250GB external SSD is priced at $179.99, a 500GB drive is $299.99, and a 1TB drive is $599.99. I have a 500GB hooked to my FTA receiver and it's been in use for over a year with no glitches, but I don't do a lot of editing, just storage for movies I record. I never tried one on my video recorder for my surveillance system. I have been thinking about it. I usually install WD Blue drives in them.

If your surveillance system constantly records, then an SSD would generally be a bad choice as SSDs are essentially a consumable, with a limited number of writes, unlike spinning HDDs.

When I installed these drives in my home computers it increased the FSB speed, which in turn made the computers about 60% faster, (Using Benchmark Speed Comparisons) and much of my software performed much better, like AutoCad & Bluebeam. I'm not sure how they'll pan out when it comes to longevity in a surveillance DVR.

They seem to work great in a 6 bay server I set up for a friend at his business. It's been up for over a year and no problems so far. As far as the failure rate with SRD's, that depends on which brand you use. I'm a firm believer in Western Digital. Some of the others are way down on the list. :)
Yes, SSD will improve the performance of a desktop computer or file server as they are frequently bottlenecked by the performance of the Disk subsystem BUT your Hopper3 DVR was not bottlenecked by the Disk subsystem as evidenced by the fact that you could record up to 16 channels at once. As to your home surveillance system, it may have some Disk based performance issues but probably only on playback not the actual recording. Also see what ncted said about the limited record/erase cycles provided by SSD drives, most desktop computers and even file servers don't actually stress the record/erase limits BUT I would suspect your surveillance system or the internal drive of a Hopper3 would.

Not saying you can't or shouldn't use SSD in DVR or surveillance applications, just saying that spinning rust might be the better solution.

If your surveillance system constantly records, then an SSD would generally be a bad choice as SSDs are essentially a consumable, with a limited number of writes, unlike spinning HDDs.

My system is set up on motion detect. It only records when it detects movement. I have the sensitivity set low enough it will pick up something big, like a car, bear, deer or person. Bugs, spiders, bats and other critters won't set it off. An owl will if it's close enough to the camera. I'll most likely stick with the Western Digital purple drives. I've had good luck with them.

I actually have 2 DVR's recording. One in the house, and another in the attic in case someone breaks in and steals the main recorder. I spit the coax going to the main DVR and sent each camera to my backup DVR, just in case one dies or is stolen. :D

Reactions: navychop and ncted
My system is set up on motion detect. It only records when it detects movement. I have the sensitivity set low enough it will pick up something big, like a car, bear

KK5CYFZLFI6MNIVFNRI3F3C7UU.jpg

Yes, SSD will improve the performance of a desktop computer or file server as they are frequently bottlenecked by the performance of the Disk subsystem BUT your Hopper3 DVR was not bottlenecked by the Disk subsystem as evidenced by the fact that you could record up to 16 channels at once. As to your home surveillance system, it may have some Disk based performance issues but probably only on playback not the actual recording. Also see what ncted said about the limited record/erase cycles provided by SSD drives, most desktop computers and even file servers don't actually stress the record/erase limits BUT I would suspect your surveillance system or the internal drive of a Hopper3 would.

Not saying you can't or shouldn't use SSD in DVR or surveillance applications, just saying that spinning rust might be the better solution.

I agree, especially with the cost of SSD's. My surveillance system is a TVI system with one camera ran 1200 feet to a building in the back meadow. TVI works great at that range and doesn't require as much bandwith as IP cameras and is near IP quality.

Wow, tell me that isn't you front door? That appears to be a 300-350lb bear. Before I enclosed our front porch, I heard something banging around on the porch about 2AM one night. That porch has 3 doors, all going out to the porch. I went out the one directly opposite where I heard the noise. I had set the trash can out there to take down to the road the next morning. When I opened the door, I saw this big, black butt sticking out of the trash can. I thought it was the neighbor's black dog.

I slipped out and was ready to kick it in the butt, and it heard me and turned around. It was black bear about 200lbs. It shot off the porch, across the road and I could hear it crashing through the brush all the way to the top of the hill on the other side of the road. It was at the neighbor's house down the road the next night rummaging through his trash. Two weeks later, bear season came in and he shot it behind his house and brought it over to show me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts