Why not add the MTN?

paxvista

Original poster
Jan 30, 2004
The Mountain West Conference has created a sports channel called the MTN in cooperation with CSTV. Cable companies such as Comcast have added the MTN to their lineup, but Dish is still negotiating. Why not add the MTN? Are not the sports channels the most heavily watched channels leading to a higher number of subscribers.
With all the combined alumn of the schools involved in the Mountain West conference and with their opponents spanning the PAC-10, ACC etc, their are many willing to pay money to see their schools play. Why wouldn't Dish find a place for the MTN in one of thier lineups? Dish says they have not received enough interest, but I guess if they want their emails and phone lines clogged that's fine, but it seems like the increase in subscribership would be enough to stimulate their interest.
Dish Network
1-888-284-7116 (existing customers)
1-888-825-2557 (new customers)
http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/faq/index.shtml

A thread on one of the DBS boards stated the the "mtn" wanted 75 cents to a dollar per sub. That's mighty high for a regional sports network with minimal national interest. I'd like to see the channel, but I'm not expecting it to be added anytime soon.

Just goes to again proove that if you must have your sports, E* is not the way to go. Here we have the best HD lineup and best assortment of channels overall and at the best price but a few major sports channels are missing like YES (Yankees Entertainment & Sports).

Thats right.. NYC people cannot get the Yankees on Dish Network!

Lucky for me, a Dish subscriber, that I am a Mets fan and I hope SNY (Sportsnet New York.. The Mets & Jets Channel) in HD is next to be uplinked.

paxvista said:
The Mountain West Conference has created a sports channel called the MTN in cooperation with CSTV. Cable companies such as Comcast have added the MTN to their lineup, but Dish is still negotiating. Why not add the MTN? Are not the sports channels the most heavily watched channels leading to a higher number of subscribers.
With all the combined alumn of the schools involved in the Mountain West conference and with their opponents spanning the PAC-10, ACC etc, their are many willing to pay money to see their schools play. Why wouldn't Dish find a place for the MTN in one of thier lineups? Dish says they have not received enough interest, but I guess if they want their emails and phone lines clogged that's fine, but it seems like the increase in subscribership would be enough to stimulate their interest.
Dish Network
1-888-284-7116 (existing customers)
1-888-825-2557 (new customers)
http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/faq/index.shtml

I didn't go to any schools in the PAC-10, ACC, etc. so why should I have to pay for another sports channel. We have enough as it is!

The MWC screwed up, nobody wants to add that channel. Dish, DirecTV, and cable companies all alike don't want the MTN, especially at that ridiculous price tag. Comcast only picked up that station in MWC markets, not nationally. I read an article this morning saying that the MTN is only available in Utah, Idaho, New Mexico, and Colorado.

Cable companies such as Comcast have added the MTN to their lineup, but Dish is still negotiating. Why not add the MTN?
considering Comcast owns part of the Mtn, maybe thats why they added it :rolleyes:

I agree that it is not fair to have everyone pay for a regional channel, but why not have it available for those that want it. You can pick up any individual international channel, so why can't we pay for the mtn individually?

I'm hoping Dish folks are monitoring this post to see that people like me, living in PA, are waiting to see who adds the mountain and then will move to whoever adds the mountain.

Some moutain schools, like BYU, have a national following . . . . Get this done Dish. Fence sitters like me aren't going to upgrade to HD, additional packages, etc, until they know who is going to add the channel.

Cox Cable in San Diego and Las Vegas (both MWC cities) have yet to even add MWC tv partner CSTV, yet alone the mtn. It's really the MWC's fault for entering into a tv deal without making sure all of the cable and at least one of the sat companies were on board.

clarknielsen said:
I agree that it is not fair to have everyone pay for a regional channel, but why not have it available for those that want it. You can pick up any individual international channel, so why can't we pay for the mtn individually?

Blame it on the MTN, they want to force Dish to put it on a basic package. I'm sure dish would like to add it as a special order channel (say $5 per month), but it isn't going to happen as long as the MTN says they have to make it a basic channel for dish customers.

Derwin0 said:
yeah, but doesn't BYU put their games up on BYUTV which is free-to-air anyway?

they use to but the mtn blocked them from doing that this year. They were going to replay last Saturday's game but the mtn blocked them from doing that

GeorgeLV said:
It's really the MWC's fault for entering into a tv deal without making sure all of the cable and at least one of the sat companies were on board.

can you say Victory Sports One? :D
(that was the MN Twins new sports network that lasted less than 6 months because only podunk cable comapnies would carry it)

Our local NBC affiliate offered to broadcast the BSU vs Wyoming game this weekend covered by the mtn and even broadcast their commercials. The mtn declined due to the fact that they want customers like me to call dish and complain. I wonder what their advertisers think about the opportunity for extra viewers. I really hope they don't make it!! I heard they are seeking as much as $1.00 per subscriber. It's understandable why dish doesn't carry them.

clarknielsen said:
Although you have a valid point on your first sentence, the second sentence is incorrect. Some international channels can only be obtain through Dish as part of a package, and are not available individually.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)