Why not more HD-PPV?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ChetK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2004
Round Rock, TX
You know, I bought The Island on HD-PPV and it was worth every penny because I was able to DVR it. Why aren't more movies available on HD-PPV?

For instance, take a look at this list. There are a lot of great titles on here. But they have TWO (yes: 2) available in HD. One is Wallace & Gromit (which is animated) and the other is Dreamer (which I've never heard of).

There are other movies on that list that I would happily pay $5.99 to buy:
  • Derailed
  • King Kong
  • Memoirs of a Geisha
  • Serenity

Wouldn't this be better for E* if they offered these movies in HD-PPV?

If you notice, virtually the only HD PPV Dish has had are Dreamworks titles and small independent releases (F 911, Passion of the Christ and IMax stuff).

Clearly they do not have HD PPV signed with any major except Dreamworks ( I would note that TWC is the same way).

the fact that Dish has given us the ability to DVR HD content probably has something to do with why most of the major studios are not allowing it as PPV yet.

teamerickson said:
You could awlays get an HD DVD player. Then you could control the content. :D
Nah! I'll wait for Blu-Ray and control MORE content. ;)

PS. I'm not trying to turn this into a BD vs. HD-DVD discussion. Just jokin' around. :D

I don't like the $5.99 per movie price, so I block the HD PPV channel from my favorites list.

Since the HBO and Showtime HD channels are included for no additional charge to those packages, I don't see why the HD PPV movies are $2 more than the SD PPV movies.

Last edited:
BlackHitachi said:
Is this the same on Direct also?

Directv has agreement with more studios.

So does BEV.

E* and TWC are the two with this limited HD PPV selection.

We now know in retrospect that Dreamworks has been in really bad financial shape for the past 2 years (thus they sold the studio). If it were not for this, one must wonder if E* would even have Dreamworks titles.

Last edited:
lakebum431 said:
Why wouldn't they? I do it all the time on E*
Well, the satellite companies have the technical ability and authority to enable the copyright flag on the content that would force your DVR to not be able to record the HD-PPV movie.

Why would they do that (and restrict their subscribers)? Because they may get more studios to allow them to play their movies. The movie studios don't want you to be able to record PPV movies. They get a LOT less money when you pay the sat company $5.99 for unlimited viewings than they would when you buy the HD-DVD or BD for $24.99.

If they enabled the flag, we'd get more content, but we wouldn't be able to record it. If they don't enable it (which is the current case), we have less content.

If they enable the flag would those of us with component only capability be able to view them in 1080i at all?

The studios have no problem with you recording the PPV movie in HD and keeping in on your hard drive. You paid correctly for it. However it is taking off the hard drive and moving it to DVD is the problem for them.

That is why I think the VOD is a joke. What is the need for it when ou can set a timer to record it on PPV and play it back anytime for as long as you want. Dish does restrict those to a 24 hour period. I think that is stupid.

If Dish ever offered a decent HD movie on PPV, they might even sell some. Instead of the left over crap, that they offer, because they think it will sell, just because it is HD.

clapple said:
If Dish ever offered a decent HD movie on PPV, they might even sell some. Instead of the left over crap, that they offer, because they think it will sell, just because it is HD.

I totally agree.

nazz said:
If they enable the flag would those of us with component only capability be able to view them in 1080i at all?
I don't know and I don't care. Because if they don't allow me to record it, I won't buy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)