Why not show the channel you were at on dish home?

OoTLink

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 25, 2005
That could be the handiest thing to have on the matrix, watch some news during a commercial break, and then flip back to what you were watching once those commercials are over.

Except in sports mode, this could kick butt :D Need 6 news channels? Just flip to the news channel you want in that 6th pane. Man why didn't anyone think of that before? :)

Unless the dish home channel is a special channel, then it's understandable, otherwise this would rawk.

All the channels shown on dish home have to be on the same transponder and authorized for all viewers. Thus, while not it's own channel from an uplink perspective, I would classify it as special since it is "assembled" in the receiver.

That 6 panel mosaic only has usage when a major news story is on and you want to be able to see multiple channels at once or at least be able to move the audio when one channel scoops the other...or during sporting events that are covered by 6 cameras...

Considering how rare these things happen, I wonder what that dev. time could have been spent on instead...perhaps the future of the company (MPEG-4) could have gotten some more lab time last year if not for this...

jkinser said:
All the channels shown on dish home have to be on the same transponder and authorized for all viewers. Thus, while not it's own channel from an uplink perspective, I would classify it as special since it is "assembled" in the receiver.
Really? :rolleyes:

119-19 CNN
119-06 FXNWS
119-06 TWC
119-08 ESPN
119-13 CNBC
119-06 HGTV
Source: http://www.dishchannelchart.com/

They're not even in the same transponder BAND.

And if you think a 501 has the horsepower to decode six channels at once, I've got a LOT of old electronic gear to sell you.

Of course, even so, with only one tuner, there's no way to throw your "last tuned" up there. It would be possible with a dual-tuner box, though.

Dish home is on TP 29 on the 110 bird, so thats probably how they provide it. It would not take very much bandwidth for 6 very small windows of those channels.

Last edited:
Well damn, I stand corrected. Thanks Simple Simon. I could have sworn there had been multiple discussions regarding different channels being moved around and authorized just to support Dish Home.

Now about all that old gear....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)