Why so many duplicate HD channels; which ones to use?

Carl B

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2003
Arvada, CO
Just got the dishHD Essentials package for AT250 last Saturday (no more 5 channel HDPak for me) so I'm looking at the All HD guide list and I'm really impressed, at first. Then I realize that almost every channel, including my HD locals, is repeated at least twice at different channel numbers, some thrice.

WUWT? I know they are probably coming from different satellites, but why? Is Dish in transition as to the final home for these channels? Seems like a pathetic waste of bandwidth. Which ones will disappear later the 9XXX numbered ones or the 3 digit ones (only want to make my Favorites lists once)? Is one signal stronger or better in my location than the other(s)?

Trying to decide which of the duplicates to use and put into Favorites lists. Answer, comments, advice?

They are mirrored (mapped) so that they appear next to the original channel. (i.e. 140 for ESPN is the same as the 9XXX ESPN just mapped to another number). It isn't using any additional bandwidth just an extra channel number.

Basically they threw the HD channels on whichever random location they wanted, then they "mirrored" them to a channel number that is more appropriate for their content (and in the case of HD channels with SD counterparts, they mirrored them to the same number as the SD channel)

I just deleted the SD versions (on my favorite list) so I wouldn't see them all the time. It used to drive me insane too.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've always found it annoying to have to scroll through the AllHD channel lineup essentially seening every channel twice....

There is a way to eliminate the ALL HD duplicates. It does not make a lot of sense, that's why a lot of people don't know about it. Do the following:

Menue/6/9(local channels)/Chan Display/Dish HD Channel...Disable.
That will get rid of the non-9*** duplicates.

Don't ask me why you have to go through local channels!!!

So if the duplicates are mirrored, are the actually channels any more reliable, better PQ, anything that would make me want to program them rather than the 3 digit channel locations?

So if the duplicates are mirrored, are the actually channels any more reliable, better PQ, anything that would make me want to program them rather than the 3 digit channel locations?
Nope.

I just deleted the SD versions (on my favorite list) so I wouldn't see them all the time. It used to drive me insane too.

You'll have to add some of them back like TNT, History and another hd channel that feeds off the 129.:rolleyes: I was watching the NBA playoffs on TNT last week on a clear day then boom no 129 and not to mention when it rains.

The channels are the result of a mapdown not a "mirror." So, as a mapdown, they are accessing the very same data stream, so absolutely no difference in PQ or reliability because you are watching exactly the same data stream on each channel.

Now, if they were "mirrored," then that would mean that the various channels are accessing different data streams (from different transponders or satellites) and there would exist the possibility of different PQ or reliability. For example, the international sporting events, such as cricket are almost always mirrored (meaning the very same content is put up on different transponders and satellites) on 3 satellites, 148, 61.5, and one of the Dish 500 slots, usually 110--3 or 4 (counting an additional mirror at 118 as apossiblity) different data streams-- and two of them given a unique channel number (usually 148 and 61.5 are given the same channel number on the assumption by Dish that people aren't accessing both 148 and 61.5). Dish mirrors these events because some international customers have only one dish and it is pointed at 148 or 61.5. The mirror at Dish 500 is provided for those customers who may not be international package subscribers and have a Dish 500 but no dishes looking at 148 or 61.5, but still want to access the cricket tournament, thus bringing in more money for Dish by making the event available to as many subscribers as possible. A mapdown will always take you to the same data stream.

Last edited:
You can turn off all the duplicates of HD channels by accessing the local channels/channel display option. Disable DishHD channels. Also if you want Disable Local Sat Channels (mapdown of LIL to the corresponding OTA channel designation).

Of course this means lots of the 4 digit channels are the only HD version of the channel.

Note that setting timers on the original, not mapdown, is slightly more reliable. And if you disable the map down, timers set on them will no longer fire.

I use the mapdown channels (almost exclusively), and have never had a problem with timers. Can't imagine any reason that the 9xxx channels would be any more reliable.

You can turn off all the duplicates of HD channels by accessing the local channels/channel display option. Disable DishHD channels. Also if you want Disable Local Sat Channels (mapdown of LIL to the corresponding OTA channel designation).

Of course this means lots of the 4 digit channels are the only HD version of the channel.

Note that setting timers on the original, not mapdown, is slightly more reliable. And if you disable the map down, timers set on them will no longer fire.

tnsprin, I just did this procedure and I still see the 4 digit upper duplicate HD channels. I even re-booted the DVR. The DishHD channels is marked disable when I check the settings. What could I be doing wrong? Thanks

No, the 9xxx numbers are the ones that stay. The channels that disappear are the 3 digit "mapdown" channels. I thought what you thought too until I tried it.

I did this on my 622 and since almost all my timers are set for th 3 digit channels, all my timers got deleted and I had to go set them all back up.... :-/

I like having the HD channels next to their counterparts (i.e. HBO HD channels next to all the rest of the HBO channels). Therefore turning off the mapping under the local settings wasn't the solution for me. I just made a new favorites, and titled it "HD NO PPV" (I also don't like scrolling through all the PPV's, and remove those too).

No, the 9xxx numbers are the ones that stay. The channels that disappear are the 3 digit "mapdown" channels. I thought what you thought too until I tried it.

I did this on my 622 and since almost all my timers are set for th 3 digit channels, all my timers got deleted and I had to go set them all back up.... :-/

Good Lord, thanks Sphagnum. Good thing I did this on my son's DVR. He only has 15 timers, only one HD (9421). This would have been a nightmare if I had done this on my main two 722s. Close call. I always learn things the hard way. Lucked out this time. LOL Thanks again.

Timers?

I just decided to just use the 3 digit channel numbers in my 4 Favorites lists and ignore those 9XXX numbers as much as possible.

If its only a remap coming off the same data stream, then why does TNT have slightly higher contrast on the three digit channel than the 9XXX? Could it be that the tuners are slightly different?

Yep, that is what I am doing. Another way I guess would be to just lock them out.

That's exactly what I do. I locked out any 9XXX HD channel and used the mapdowns exclusively. By using a favorites list, you may miss a newly uplinked channel (unless you check the uplink threads every day like I do anyway). :D

Using the mapdowns seem more fluid and logical. When I had 250+ I could still use the "All HD" guide for that purpose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)