Why the World Doesn't Need Hi-Def DVD's

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Things happen...and I am no cynic!

teamerickson said:

While I agree that a new standard is quite a bit overdue, I still will not make any decisions until Blockbuster decides what to carry, or a dual format player comes out. I was also burned in the beta/vhs wars and the article is correct (IMHO) about the stupidity of the "war"...Beta was by far the better quality format IMHO....They lost mostly because the movie companys chose to sue Sony and slowed beta down! (Another scam)

Also happened with DVD-r and +r so dual format recorders were developed (albit a bit harder to do this time)

It is the Corporate mentality to continuously come up with the different standards (like HDMI) that has me burned.(I ran 2 NYSE firms until a few years ago....happily retired from that ratrace!)

It is an obvious ploy to drain the consumer. Most of the folks I know do not buy DVD's, but rent them! (I HAVE BOUGHT A FEW, BUT ONLY ONES i CONSIDER CLASSICS) (BTW: my current DVD player cost $1000 so the $500 does not bother me for a quality product!) BUT, I will not replace my (2) 2006 HD Tv's just because they changed the HDMI standard...NOW MONSTER CABLE IS REALLY LICKING THEIR CHOPS!

And how about the fact that most HDTV's only have 1 HDMI input! (HDMI 1.1 will end its life soon)

I also bought into the original DVD standard when there was little or no software for it...It was such a dramatic improvement over VHS that it was worth it!

From what I have seen so far....my upconverting Pioneer 59i DVD and HP Plasma HDTV are almost as good as the current HD-DVD I saw at BB...Hopefully the jump to 1080P will be a quantum leap! I also have a 4DTV and HD200 converter (NOT the HD lite, the Pizza guys pedal) HD uncompressed is outstanding, but the TV also upconverts the 4dtv SD signal to nearly HD quality so I still like it...ALOT!

Right now, let em fight it out!!! I BET ALL THE COMPANYS INVOLVED WILL TAKE A BEATING...as well as the early adopters (no offense)!:devil:
Jeff

Last edited:
This will be a long, slow, profitable process for all of them. The people behind the formats are in collusion Im sure. They will milk as much money out of these formats and the consumers for as long as they can.

Last edited:
#1) I'm sure HiDef DVD looks great, but I see nothing wrong with standard DVD picture/sound quality on 50" Sammy and upconverting DVD player.

#2) Having also been burned by the Beta/VHS format war, I'm going to sit on the sidelines and watch how this one turns out. I won't fall for this ploy again.

#3) Most early adopters are being cautious about HD-DVD, particulary since BD isn't out yet.

#4) With gas prices being so high, and so many new electronics gadets screaming for the consumers' dollars, disposable income is becoming more scarce and people are making careful choices.

#5) With a large DVD library, I'm certainly in no hurry get dipped again for an HD version of a movie I already have. There's enough double and triple-dipping going on with standard DVD that I don't even remotely like the idea of buying yet another release of something I already have. I simply can't justify it.

Oh I forgot to reiterate....

teamerickson said:

I forgot to reiterate the bit about the down conversion flag that both formats will have provisions for.

These idiots are so afraid of piracy they do not read up on history...1st there were the unbeatable protected software titles for computers, Microsoft and their authentication BS (was beaten within days of its introduction), then the Macrovision protection (can't copy me....) and on it goes....They will NEVER figure it out. If someone wants in badly enough, they will get in!

Not to mention those of us with dogs and kids that destroy the originals (I back up any DVD or CD that I buy...then store the Orig in a safe place)...which is allowed under the fair use act! (I think the catch is that it is illegal to defeat the protection?)Amazingly Sony continues to alter their Achros DVD protection (or whatever it is called) and the software copy companies are defeating it within days of its introduction! Hell, they even beat software that requires a hardware dongle! On top of that there are not too many titles that have have come out recently that I would even rent...BAD CONTENT...NO BUY!

Instead they come up with this flag...no HDMI...we will down convert!

How dumb is that? That eliminates all the HDTV owners with component video in only + the rest of us with 1 HDMI input (my 2006 mits LCD Proj at least has 2, but my main Plasma HDTV only has one......NO I WILL NOT BUY A $100 HDMI SPLITTER) Sheer genius <NOT>

As I said...let em roast ....and hopefully the consumers will not be sheep this time! Sorry for my rant, but enough is enough!:mad:

Last edited:
me too sort of...

long_time_DNC said:
I've got my pc connected to a DVI switchbox (sharing my upconverting DVD player with my Sammy's 1 DVI input) and it's a blast watching HD from other sources on my TV!

Luckily for me, My 2006 pioneer Elite 72tx receiver has HDMI in and out pass thru. ....it will also take component inputs and pass them thu the HDMI out! So like you, I can have a couple of devices output to my single HDMI in on the Plasma HDTV...

NOW here comes the rub......when HDMI 1.1 goes away....unless there is a converter of some sort...I will be back in the tank!

I have never liked the idea of passing video signals thru any additional device, due to possible loss of PQ...interestingly, the 4dtv (actually the HDD200 HD Box) with the component out is converted to HDMI out by the receiver.... seems to be more crisp and has better color saturation than the orig component signal hooked up directly to the HDTV component input jacks! (yes, I use good component cables made by "Better Cable"...go figure!

Jeff

Last edited:
gizzer777 said:
I have never liked the idea of passing video signals thru any additional device, due to possible loss of PQ...interestingly, the 4dtv (actually the HDD200 HD Box) with the component out is converted to HDMI out by the receiver.... seems to be more crisp and has better color saturation than the orig component signal hooked up directly to the HDTV component input jacks! (yes, I use good component cables made by "Better Cable"...go figure!

Jeff
The DVI switchbox I bought has a digital signal amp in it and consequently if there is any PQ difference between the straight run from my DVD player prior to the switchbox and the PQ now with the switchbox, I haven't been able to notice it. My pc and DVD player deliver equally good PQ to the Sammy via the switchbox.

In about 2 more years, I'll be replacing my TV with a new one (this one will be 5 years old by then) and I'm definitely not going to buy anything with less than 2 HDMI inputs on it. If they 2 or more digital inputs by 2008, I'll be quite pleased.

Just a guess

long_time_DNC said:
The DVI switchbox I bought has a digital signal amp in it and consequently if there is any PQ difference between the straight run from my DVD player prior to the switchbox and the PQ now with the switchbox, I haven't been able to notice it. My pc and DVD player deliver equally good PQ to the Sammy via the switchbox.

In about 2 more years, I'll be replacing my TV with a new one (this one will be 5 years old by then) and I'm definitely not going to buy anything with less than 2 HDMI inputs on it. If they 2 or more digital inputs by 2008, I'll be quite pleased.

Just a guess, but it looks like it would be cheaper to add more HDMI inputs during manufacturing rather than the 3 sets on Component ins that I have now! They also put 3 sets of SVHS jacks on both my 2006 HDTV's...great market research <not>

Glad to hear your DVI switchbox works well. I had to buy a VERY expensive DVI to HDMI cable when I had my old setup since I was using a Focus Electronics (expensive) outboard Upconverter that had DVI...of course there was no DVI on my new TV's:mad: It was after I did all of that, that I discovered just how far the upconversion built into the newer HDTV's was! My 1st HDTV was an RP Pioneer that had a terrible line doubler!...thus I went for the focus Electronics which can even upconvert to 1080p!! Now that is a company with its eyes open!! <about 5 yrs ago>

Jeff

Last edited:
I agree. I do use one of my S-video inputs for my AV preamp's setup screen, but other than that, no, I don't use them. I don't use the composite inputs, though I am using one of the component sets of inputs simply because I didn't want to pay $400 for a 3-port DVI switchbox.

I'm fairly sure that by 2009, HDMI of some flavor will be prominent on the backs of the majority of TVs being sold.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)