Why There Will be an SEC Network

Madison Hawk

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 14, 2007
Although the SEC has defeated the Big Ten (e.g. Ohio State) in the last two BCS national championships, overall, both conferences are very similar and very competitive in both football and men's basketball. For example, in the last 15 years or so when the current Big Ten vs. SEC bowl matchups have been set, the record of Big Ten vs. SEC is approximately .500. However, there are two areas where the SEC is behind and where they will try to catch up: $$$ and exposure. Specifically, the Big Ten makes a lot more money than the SEC and has much wider exposure than the SEC.

1. Revenue. According to recent public disclosures, each Big Ten school makes 32% from sports revenue than each SEC school. According to the Sports Business Journal, in 2006-07, the Big Ten distributed $154.2 million to its 11 schools or $14.0 million per school. According to a variety of sources, for the 2007-08 fiscal year, the SEC distributed $127.2 million to its 12 schools or $10.6 million per school. According to the Sports Business Journal, the primary reasons for the Big Ten's revenue disparity were the new $1 billion ABC/ESPN deal and the Big Ten Network payments.

2. Exposure. With the Big Ten Network, every home Big Ten football and men's basketball game will be televised to a minimum of 35 million homes (and be available in approximately 55 million homes), with a high likelihood of this number increasing in the next several months. In contrast, last year, the SEC had approximately 44% of its home football games that were not televised at all or on a limited PPV and another 16% that were only televised on Raycom's regional package (and ESPN GamePlan). With the BTN's new deal with Comcast (and with Time Warner, Charter and Mediacom likely to follow), the Big Ten has a strong regional distribution and a broad national distribution through DirecTV and Dish (and likely others).

The SEC views themselves as equal to the Big Ten. The SEC sees the revenue that the Big Ten has generated and the exposure the Big Ten has. While the SEC may or may not be able to achieve the same level of revenue or exposure the Big Ten has (the Big Ten has a larger population base and was aided by the common ownership between Fox and DirecTV when the deal for the BTN was made), the SEC has to be looking at what the Big Ten currently has and will not want to be left behind in the collegiate sports arms race. The most effective way of accomplishing this is by forming their own network.

I think this is only natural for the conference. All I can say is PLEASE make the production quality better than Jefferson Pilot/Lincoln Financial/Raycom.

I think this is only natural for the conference. All I can say is PLEASE make the production quality better than Jefferson Pilot/Lincoln Financial/Raycom.

I agree about the Jefferson Pilot/Lincoln Financial/Raycom remark. I hate those broadcasts, it's like they are using leftover video equipment from the 1970s. Everytime I want to watch one of those games I have to adjust the brightness on my TV just so I can see it, I never have to do this for any other broadcast on any other channel. The audio is usually too low and the announcers suck as well. /end rant

I agree about the Jefferson Pilot/Lincoln Financial/Raycom remark. I hate those broadcasts, it's like they are using leftover video equipment from the 1970s. Everytime I want to watch one of those games I have to adjust the brightness on my TV just so I can see it, I never have to do this for any other broadcast on any other channel. The audio is usually too low and the announcers suck as well. /end rant

What's your problem with kicking off right after breakfast and listening to the Dave's??? :D

War Damn Eagle!

Here is a funny article by Clay Travis about Raycom in HD. If you haven't seen the JP/LF/Raycom broadcasts, you can't truly comprehend their ineptness.

ClayNation: Raycom games in HD -- world as we know it is ending - SPiN - CBSSports.com The Lighter Side of Sports

1. Raycom + HD is like matter and antimatter colliding. Remember when they were doing that physics experiment, and there was an infinitesimal chance that the experiment would result in a black hole that would swallow the Earth and leave nothing behind? Yeah, Raycom + HD at least doubles those odds.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)