Why Update S329 is Needed...NOW

Tron2012

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
IL Suburbs
<Wrong Hopper w/Sling version number is in forum thread. Meant to type S329 and not S239.>

I have to say I was really looking forward to the new S328 update, but it was more than a little let down. Was hoping DISH would have added a few things to enhance / fix the Hopper experience, but they missed the mark again. I truly don’t think they do any sort of user acceptance testing and design things from their paying customer’s perspective. I realize that no one can please everyone all the time, but if you look at my feedback objectively you’ll see the improvements really do benefit all their customers by making a more “designed around you”, simplified product.

If the Hopper just came out a few months ago I can see giving them a pass. But as a customer spending my hard earned money on their service and equipment (like all of us here) I have to be tough on them. Hopefully they will take more than one step back and look at their product from a different perspective (meaning the customer experience)...and help to reduce the number of times we have to press a darn button on the remote!

HDMI CEC
Great option. This was a hit. Took me a bit to figure out the DISH power button turns on Hopper and TV but that the TV power button turns both off I thought they missed the mark with a convenient one button press on/off solution. Plus.

Jump 10/30
While not any improvement I can see how they may have wanted to improve the on screen display (OSD) so people new to the Hopper understand that you skip ahead more then you rewind. And I think they wanted to make the OSD look a little more like the FWD and BACK button OSD with numbers. Sorta Plus.

Jumps.jpg

Missing Icons
Noticed that the save and protect icons are no longer on screen by the tiles. Some customers may like to see what they saved from the PTA screen so they know that it’s saved and not to worry (or forget they saved it and try to save it again). Protect icon shows on details screen still, but another step backward. No quality check for this before release?? Big minuses.

No Save Icons.jpg No Save Icons - But Are Saved.jpg

On Demand
Another step backward. In the old interface you had your options to refine your results as quick one click buttons. Great thinking. And now? The new interface has only one option showing. You then have to go into a filters screen to select more options. Too much button pushing. I get the fact they are trying to make a cleaner interface, but the design could be better.

Icons. OK, the new interface looks less crowded than the prior one. But too much going up/down and the dreaded left/right now. To lessen the pain of left/right you can use the Skip Back and Skip Fwd button on the remote to move a few at a time. And they could have made the See All icon at the beginning match the one at the end of a row. Inconsistent design.

They removed the search button as well. You can’t push the Search button while in On Demand and get the main search with on demand already set as the filter. They also lost the ability to see all the details from the main screen like the prior version. No need to click the Info button or select the icon like you do now. Big minuses.

On Demand Old.jpg On Demand New.jpg On Demand New 2.jpg

My Folders
Still have not fixed the My Folders “phantom folder” problem since Spring. And they have not added a way to edit them either. Can’t delete or change the name. So a user can make a folder but not rename or delete if empty and no longer wanted. Poor user experience. Big minus.

Folder Problem 1.jpg Folder Problem 2.jpg

My Folders, Part Duex
DISH still has not understood the concept of reducing screen content whenever possible for a clean user experience. For the life of me I cannot understand why they do not have the exact same list option (not icons) in My Folders that they do in Folders by Title. I’ve seen people post that say "just stay in the folders by title option and that solves your problem." No it does not. My Folders are still “folders”, right? Why should I have to sift through ALL of the show icons in the folders by title option when all I want after a hard day at work is to see MY shows in one nice list and no more icons.

Took away the % watched as well. Yes, you can click another button to get to the details screen to see the % watched, but unnecessary. Big minuses.

Folders - By Title.jpg Folders - By Title Details.jpg Folders - My Folders.jpg Folders - My Folders List.jpg

Search
Another miss. Search has the nasty scroll left/right nonsense like On Demand. The search with number keys is OK as well as hiding the keyboard on screen, but still not a good experience. Still can’t delete search history. What if you don’t want your kids seeing what you might have searched for or accidentally (!!) type in “t-i-t” when you meant “i-t”? Explain that to the wife. You have to do a bunch or fake searches just to push it off the list. DISH also must isolate their departments or programmers so they never share ideas. Why? If you look back at the On Demand screen captures you see that they at least have an icon at the beginning telling the user there are more items. So they can click it immediately. The search programmers must not have seen the On Demand programmers because the darn ‘See All’ icon is ONLY at the end of the row you have to muddle through. And give us back the option to show results as a list like the pre-Hopper DVR's as opposed to this avalanche of icons all the time. I just shake my head... Big minuses.

New Search Full Screen.jpg New Search End of List.jpg

Remote Jump
On the remote you can use the page up and down buttons to move up or down a few lines at a time, but you can also use the skip back/fwd and back/fwd buttons to move the screen. Well, kind of. Again, did anyone at DISH test this? You can use the skip back button to move a page up (a few lines) or to the left. Skip fwd button moves a page down or right. Back button goes to the top of the page or all the way back to the left. So the Fwd button moves all the way to the bottom of the page or to the right, correct? No, it acts like the back button and goes to the top of the page. I just shake my head... OK, so you would think that since they added the ability to type letters using the number keys in the search function you could just press Z to go to the bottom or a letter of a show name to go to it, but no, didn’t think to do that. No testing done again. Big minus.

Remote Jump.jpg

Hoping they give us an early holiday present with update S329 for the Hopper with Sling and corresponding features for the regular Hopper and pay more attention to the user experience than trying to wiz-bang us with all these fancy do-dad updates.
Unlike "we need more cowbell" in a song, we do NOT need more icons and button presses on our Hoppers!

Attachments

• Remote Jump.jpg
    Remote Jump.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 348
Last edited:
I have to say I was really looking forward to the new S238 update, but it was more than a little let down. Was hoping DISH would have added a few things to enhance / fix the Hopper experience, but they missed the mark again. I truly don’t think they do any sort of user acceptance testing and design things from their paying customer’s perspective. I realize that no one can please everyone all the time, but if you look at my feedback objectively you’ll see the improvements really do benefit all their customers by making a more “designed around you”, simplified product.

If the Hopper just came out a few months ago I can see giving them a pass. But as a customer spending my hard earned money on their service and equipment (like all of us here) I have to be tough on them. Hopefully they will take more than one step back and look at their product from a different perspective (meaning the customer experience)...and help to reduce the number of times we have to press a darn button on the remote!

HDMI CEC
Great option. This was a hit. Took me a bit to figure out the DISH power button turns on Hopper and TV but that the TV power button turns both off I thought they missed the mark with a convenient one button press on/off solution. Plus.

Jump 10/30
While not any improvement I can see how they may have wanted to improve the on screen display (OSD) so people new to the Hopper understand that you skip ahead more then you rewind. And I think they wanted to make the OSD look a little more like the FWD and BACK button OSD with numbers. Sorta Plus.

View attachment 92942

Missing Icons
Noticed that the save and protect icons are no longer on screen by the tiles. Some customers may like to see what they saved from the PTA screen so they know that it’s saved and not to worry (or forget they saved it and try to save it again). Protect icon shows on details screen still, but another step backward. No quality check for this before release?? Big minuses.

View attachment 92944 View attachment 92943

On Demand
Another step backward. In the old interface you had your options to refine your results as quick one click buttons. Great thinking. And now? The new interface has only one option showing. You then have to go into a filters screen to select more options. Too much button pushing. I get the fact they are trying to make a cleaner interface, but the design could be better.

Icons. OK, the new interface looks less crowded than the prior one. But too much going up/down and the dreaded left/right now. To lessen the pain of left/right you can use the Skip Back and Skip Fwd button on the remote to move a few at a time. And they could have made the See All icon at the beginning match the one at the end of a row. Inconsistent design.

They removed the search button as well. You can’t push the Search button while in On Demand and get the main search with on demand already set as the filter. They also lost the ability to see all the details from the main screen like the prior version. No need to click the Info button or select the icon like you do now. Big minuses.

View attachment 92945 View attachment 92946 View attachment 92947

My Folders
Still have not fixed the My Folders “phantom folder” problem since Spring. And they have not added a way to edit them either. Can’t delete or change the name. So a user can make a folder but not rename or delete if empty and no longer wanted. Poor user experience. Big minus.

View attachment 92948 View attachment 92949

My Folders, Part Duex
DISH still has not understood the concept of reducing screen content whenever possible for a clean user experience. For the life of me I cannot understand why they do not have the exact same list option (not icons) in My Folders that they do in Folders by Title. I’ve seen people post that say "just stay in the folders by title option and that solves your problem." No it does not. My Folders are still “folders”, right? Why should I have to sift through ALL of the show icons in the folders by title option when all I want after a hard day at work is to see MY shows in one nice list and no more icons.

Took away the % watched as well. Yes, you can click another button to get to the details screen to see the % watched, but unnecessary. Big minuses.

View attachment 92950 View attachment 92951 View attachment 92952 View attachment 92953

Search
Another miss. Search has the nasty scroll left/right nonsense like On Demand. The search with number keys is OK as well as hiding the keyboard on screen, but still not a good experience. Still can’t delete search history. What if you don’t want your kids seeing what you might have searched for or accidentally (!!) type in “t-i-t” when you meant “i-t”? Explain that to the wife. You have to do a bunch or fake searches just to push it off the list. DISH also must isolate their departments or programmers so they never share ideas. Why? If you look back at the On Demand screen captures you see that they at least have an icon at the beginning telling the user there are more items. So they can click it immediately. The search programmers must not have seen the On Demand programmers because the darn ‘See All’ icon is ONLY at the end of the row you have to muddle through. And give us back the option to show results as a list like the pre-Hopper DVR's as opposed to this avalanche of icons all the time. I just shake my head... Big minuses.

View attachment 92954 View attachment 92955

Remote Jump
On the remote you can use the page up and down buttons to move up or down a few lines at a time, but you can also use the skip back/fwd and back/fwd buttons to move the screen. Well, kind of. Again, did anyone at DISH test this? You can use the skip back button to move a page up (a few lines) or to the left. Skip fwd button moves a page down or right. Back button goes to the top of the page or all the way back to the left. So the Fwd button moves all the way to the bottom of the page or to the right, correct? No, it acts like the back button and goes to the top of the page. I just shake my head... OK, so you would think that since they added the ability to type letters using the number keys in the search function you could just press Z to go to the bottom or a letter of a show name to go to it, but no, didn’t think to do that. No testing done again. Big minus.

View attachment 92957

Hoping they give us an early holiday present with update S239 for the Hopper with Sling and corresponding features for the regular Hopper and pay more attention to the user experience than trying to wiz-bang us with all these fancy do-dad updates.
Unlike "we need more cowbell" in a song, we do NOT need more icons and button presses on our Hoppers!

Good points Tron2012 on the S328 update, well stated. I wish they would add an adjustment feature to the skip forward and skip back button. When I was with cable TV they had a DVR that you could adjust the time. If I remember right you could adjust the skip forward or back time in 30 second increments up to six minutes. I had my remote set with one push of the skip forward button at six minutes. It pretty much skipped right on the money.

I have H2Ks and since the equivalent S418 update I notice that when switching between a recording and a channel using the recall button the recorded show is about 20 secs ahead of where it was before switching. I have to hit the back button 2 or 3 times to keep from missing stuff.

I have to say I was really looking forward to the new S238 update, but it was more than a little let down. Was hoping DISH would have added a few things to enhance / fix the Hopper experience, but they missed the mark again. I truly don’t think they do any sort of user acceptance testing and design things from their paying customer’s perspective. I realize that no one can please everyone all the time, but if you look at my feedback objectively you’ll see the improvements really do benefit all their customers by making a more “designed around you”, simplified product.

HDMI CEC

Jump 10/30

View attachment 92942

Missing Icons

View attachment 92944 View attachment 92943

On Demand

View attachment 92945 View attachment 92946 View attachment 92947

My Folders

View attachment 92948 View attachment 92949

My Folders, Part Duex

View attachment 92950 View attachment 92951 View attachment 92952 View attachment 92953

Search

View attachment 92954 View attachment 92955

Remote Jump

View attachment 92957

Hoping they give us an early holiday present with update S239 for the Hopper with Sling and corresponding features for the regular Hopper and pay more attention to the user experience than trying to wiz-bang us with all these fancy do-dad updates.

This has to be the most thought out, and best put together rant I have ever seen!!!

This has to be the most thought out, and best put together rant I have ever seen!!!

Love it! Like when you have to yell at your kids for forgetting the most simple thing and you can feel the veins popping out of your head. I know it was a rant, but seriously, some of these things are just so amazing that no one caught the same problems we experience all the time. Like all of us, all I want is an easy to use, less cluttered and (hopefully) more configurable user interface. All I'm trying to do is shake DISH out of their funk.

Love it! Like when you have to yell at your kids for forgetting the most simple thing and you can feel the veins popping out of your head. I know it was a rant, but seriously, some of these things are just so amazing that no one caught the same problems we experience all the time. Like all of us, all I want is an easy to use, less cluttered and (hopefully) more configurable user interface. All I'm trying to do is shake DISH out of their funk.

Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "rant".;) All of your issues are most likely the same as others as well. Your concerns will be, (probably have been) viewed by the folks at DISH. Thanks, and again, well done!!

HDMI CEC BIG: When enabled, it is not possible to watch Ch 105 SD on the composite output of a Joey. Alll other channels are ok, but an error message (I forget the number) says the tv is not HDMI compliant and will not tune 105 With HDMI CEC disabled, all is fine. On this joey I have HDMI to a digital tv and analog to an anolog tv.

I wonder how Dish comes up with ideas for improving the Hoppers! Do they dream up things or do they listen to the customers. There are so many good ideas in this forum you would think they would make some of them happen. And then to decide to eliminate little simple things that was nice to have like the little blue S for saved PTAT recordings and the P for protecting a program. Maybe it was a mistake or a bug problem and they can fix it. It would be nice if there was two or three folks from this forum participate with the Dish folks when coming up with ideas to improve the Hopper. I think Dish should publish what was implemented, improved, repaired, or eliminated in the software version update. I know when I was with the cable company and had a MOXI DVR updates were published on line with all the changes.

Amen...sometimes it makes you wonder if any of them actually use the Hopper at all outside of their test labs.
I would say a lot of the testing involves testing whats new. And in this case there is so much new you lose focus of whats gone.

With that said PLEASE keep the feedback coming. :)

Excellent review of the software update, very detailed Tron. I must admit if I could reject the update coming to the HWS I would. Few things there I don't like at all and I still don't understand why the bug for the favorites list hasn't been resolved.

Excellent review of the software update, very detailed Tron. I must admit if I could reject the update coming to the HWS I would. Few things there I don't like at all and I still don't understand why the bug for the favorites list hasn't been resolved.

Thanks. I think I would like to hold off on upgrades too for a while. I wish it was possible to actually hold off and update when you want. Like computer software does with automatic or manual updates. DISH would have a broad spectrum beta group of let's say 50-100 people. Based upon a questionnaire they fill out so DISH can select older people, younger people, tech savvy, new(er) customers, regions, mixture of these, etc... They accept the fact that testing could affect their service and maybe compensated in some way (extra equipment for testing, service comped). And they need to be connected to the Internet at all times.

They release the software updates to them first then testers have 3 to 4 weeks of user acceptance testing to try and break it. A written feedback form is mandatory. This way they know the audience and the variety of hardware and settings they have enabled/use and their feedback. Any real major flaws then can be addressed before full release. Things that are considered cosmetic or minor can be reviewed for later release or quickly added and sent through beta again. Once DISH gives the release go ahead, regular users can download and install the updates themselves if they want to. But this brings up issues since this is satellite and not cable with a direct wire to/from the provider. Users would have to be Internet connected and I realize that not all people can/are/want to be connected, phone connection is not practical with so many people wanting to update at the same time, DISH would have to manage backward compatibility with potentially a dozen or more prior releases if a customer never updates (or force one after 10-12 months max).

If they do this then I'll raise my hand to volunteer! :wave

What would make it even better is if the software versions listed in the title and post were corrected... ;)

j/k - great job Tron.

What a dope I am, rushed this late at night. Sorry, I did mean Hopper w/Sling update S329 and not S239. Thanks for the catch. I updated the post title and text but it won't change the actual forum title. See how upset DISH got me?!?!

:facepalm

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)