Why Update S329 is Needed...NOW

The filters for themes do not allow you to sort by time on. I tried movies and availability and selected watch now and on next and they came up alphabetically and there is no option to sort by time on. The previous version was much better. The same is true for sports. The NFL game tonight is way down the list and is preceded by college games on next Thursday and Sat with no date and time sort ability just alphabetic. This is really iritating and shows a total disregard for customer wants by the Dish update team.

I do like the fact that under themes you can select more than one genre. This is an improvement that is useful.

I wish it was possible to actually hold off and update when you want. Like computer software does with automatic or manual updates.
One reason, in Dish's thinking, is that this is a known hardware platform, so at least in that aspect, there shouldn't be any gotchas (like with PCs and an infinite variety of hardware). On the software side, they won't allow people to reject the update for support reasons (same with mobile phones, for instance), among others. They don't want their support people dealing with a "bug" that's fixed in a later s/w version simply because the user keeps blocking updates.

Many of these updates, while annoying to many people, are by no means fatal. Some of the changes are just that, changes, and people hate change ! Others, from what I've read, do make you scratch your head.... I like (or don't like, actually) the one where you scroll right/left to view programs (in a search result maybe) and there's no indication of how many titles you have to scroll through (3-4 tiles per page too !) until you get to the end of the list !!

Some of the Rant aside :rant:. I do appreciate someone that takes the time to produce a logical thought to theses seemingly complex devices :doh:.

As someone who's deciding on upgrading, sticking with my Stable :popcorn 722k or move on to the HWS. Having put up with "patch Tuesday" for Windows for years. I can deal with fix-broke-fix-broke pattern. My problem is my Wife has everything working comfortably (722k - warts and all) , and converting her to the Hopper merry-go-round.

Again, myself I think I could tolerate some of the growing pains, short of losing recordings - missed recording - machine deleted recordings - constant rebooting to fix somethong etc. etc. Which of all of these have been reported in the various posts.

I do say while most users have come up with solutions to help the newbie's, I do become gun-shy about pulling the trigger with Tron2012's well put together post.

Steve

The Hopper is WORLDS better then the 722 (and the 722 was amazing!)

The issues Tron points out are ones you would never know were there as you would be coming in without knowing how it worked before.

The changes here are supposed to make the system better but long time users don't like some of the changes because they were use to the way it was.

If you are on the fence, I say HOP in now... the water is fine! :D

Again, myself I think I could tolerate some of the growing pains, short of losing recordings - missed recording - machine deleted recordings - constant rebooting to fix somethong etc. etc. Which of all of these have been reported in the various posts.
I can't personally say I've encountered any of these (knock on wood).

Losing recordings, like just randomly, or when the HDD dies ? I would blame missed recordings on bad guide data, but Dish has always taken the safe route and recorded programs "just in case", i.e. episode # or air date missing. Better to have it and make the user delete it vs not have it at all. Finally, rebooting seems to no longer be necessary. I learned with the 522 and later 622 and 722k that rebooting it about once a week was good, preventative maintenance. In the time we've had the Hopper (close to a year now), I think I've manually rebooted it 2-3 times...

Some of the Rant aside :rant:. I do appreciate someone that takes the time to produce a logical thought to theses seemingly complex devices :doh:.

As someone who's deciding on upgrading, sticking with my Stable :popcorn 722k or move on to the HWS. Having put up with "patch Tuesday" for Windows for years. I can deal with fix-broke-fix-broke pattern. My problem is my Wife has everything working comfortably (722k - warts and all) , and converting her to the Hopper merry-go-round.

I do say while most users have come up with solutions to help the newbie's, I do become gun-shy about pulling the trigger with Tron2012's well put together post.

Steve

You shouldn't be gun-shy. The problem with forums like this is that they sometimes overstate issues. I have a HWS and a regular Hopper (upgraded from 2 722s). We have never had any real bugs or issues with the system. My wife picks up the remote and finds what she wants to watch, either from the guide or the DVR.

I like that there can be more then one genre selected in Themes, but what ticks me off is that they removed the Boxing genre.
Dan

You shouldn't be gun-shy. The problem with forums like this is that they sometimes overstate issues. I have a HWS and a regular Hopper (upgraded from 2 722s). We have never had any real bugs or issues with the system. My wife picks up the remote and finds what she wants to watch, either from the guide or the DVR.
Pretty hard to overstate a absolutely ridiculous problem like losing channels off of your custom guide. I called today and asked about a future fix for this problem and the CSR had never heard of it. Needless to say He/She didn't know when it would be fixed. I spoke to a supervisor last week and she told me that maybe, yes maybe, the new upgrade would fix it. Sorry Scott but some things are just impossible to overlook. I mean why buy a convertible if you can't put the top down?

Great post/thread that made me think

Wonderful post, and has now got me really thinking about my HWS after a few months uf using.

Some thoughts on this update that I have not yet gotten, but the negatives that are issues for me:

• I'm one of those who really uses the Custom Guides. Can't understand why folks want to wade through huge lists of My Channels.
  • And why not have those guides follow through to the Joeys? Or have more Guides available so that Joeys' lists can be customized as extra Guides.
  • Took away the % watched as well. Yes, you can click another button to get to the details screen to see the % watched, but unnecessary. Big minuses.--------This is the one that bothers me the most - I have certain programs (mainly CBS Sunday Morning) that I watch over a few weeks, and the % lets me know where I am in an episode.
  • This % issue also affects being able to see when my kids via Dish Anywhere have watched something. Now it all becomes confusing.
  • I barely use the useless folders. I'd like for them to be a line (or two) at the top of My Recordings, and not need to be accessed separately.

All in all, as a Dish customer for about 15 years, I'm still satisfied - but there's always room for REAL improvement.

This isn't that.

P.S. Sorry I couldn't figure out how to remove the shading...

[*]Took away the % watched as well. Yes, you can click another button to get to the details screen to see the % watched, but unnecessary. Big minuses.--------This is the one that bothers me the most - I have certain programs (mainly CBS Sunday Morning) that I watch over a few weeks, and the % lets me know where I am in an episode.
Where WAS this percent watched that everyone keeps telling about? The only time I have ever seen it was if I pressed the info button on a recording tile.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts