Why Update S329 is Needed...NOW

I still don't get why people like those lists so much. If you watch enough TV to use a list you problably know what you are wanting to watch or at least the range those channels are in. I usually start at 105, page up a few times, skip to the 200 -250 range then jump to 300 and skip around the guide looking for something good to watch. I guess the same thing is done by removing the in between channels from the guide list so I don't have to see them but what if there is a program on that day that I wasn't aware of that perks my interest? I problably would miss that show or movie if I had a custom list set up that didn't include said channel.

aintnobody.jpg
:p

This way, I can filter out religious channels, country music, etc. Also, I don't buy the idea that dish knows what people use and they prioritize accordingly.
I also filter out the same channels as you (plus the shopping channels, etc) - I do it by blocking the channel, not setting up a custom list.

I'll stand firmly by my belief that Dish (and Directv and Time Warner and Comcast and so on) know a whole lot about their customer's viewing habits (and anonymously). We know that the receivers "phone home" and if you read the user agreement or terms of service (can't recall which), Dish says they can collect this data (granted, that doesn't mean they do it (yet)).

I disagree. Why would anybody smart enough to actually want the Hopper not want to set up a Custom Guide? I'm sure some fall into that category but not one single person I know that owns the Hopper or the Genie isn't using a Custom Guide. When I'm asked into a home the first thing I do is reverse the scroll on the guide and help them set up a Custom Guide. FYI, Tiger Direct has a 2TB WD Elements EHD for $89.99.

In my case: no need. 90% of what I watch is DVRed. The rest is sports, news, or a random movie on one of the premiums. I know exactly where those live viewing channels are, so I skip directly to them. Absolutely no need for a custom guide.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I also filter out the same channels as you (plus the shopping channels, etc) - I do it by blocking the channel, not setting up a custom list.

I'll stand firmly by my belief that Dish (and Directv and Time Warner and Comcast and so on) know a whole lot about their customer's viewing habits (and anonymously). We know that the receivers "phone home" and if you read the user agreement or terms of service (can't recall which), Dish says they can collect this data (granted, that doesn't mean they do it (yet)).

So I guess this means more people use the feature then those who don't, seeing how it's still available and has been for a long time ;) . I like your idea about blocking the channels but when more than one person uses the same DVR there are times that would be a problem. That's when the favorites list come in. Honestly, my intention isn't to convince anyone to change their opinions on the feature nor do I have the time to do such a thing. You've posted some valid points on why it's not that important while others have posted the opposite. You guys may continue to discuss it but at this point I feel the thread is getting off topic. My apologies to the OP.

I got my grandmother set up with Dish. I set it up for her and she loves it.
What ? You mean she didn't set up a custom guide herself ? :eek:

I disagree. Why would anybody smart enough to actually want the Hopper not want to set up a Custom Guide?
If "Joe Customer" calls Dish this afternoon and wants more than (2) TVs hooked up and wants a DVR, he'll get a Hopper. It's not a matter of what someone "wants". If the rep says they're giving the customer "the hoppah", some will recognize it from commercials, but most just want a DVR.

What ? You mean she didn't set up a custom guide herself ? :eek:

If "Joe Customer" calls Dish this afternoon and wants more than (2) TVs hooked up and wants a DVR, he'll get a Hopper. It's not a matter of what someone "wants". If the rep says they're giving the customer "the hoppah", some will recognize it from commercials, but most just want a DVR.

If you would have read all of my reply you would have seen that she had no idea there was that feature. She had Time Warner. They did not offer her that. I was over her house and I asked her how she likes her system and I showed her the custom guide. Wow can you believe it?????? Like I said some people have no idea they have that feature. When they find out they love it.

Is all of that OK with you? Is there a problem with her not knowing that? Is there a problem with me showing her some of the added features that Time Warner didn't provide? Some of you people here need a reality check.

Changes to Hopper Software

I have been reading about the Hopper/Joey since they were released a couple of years ago. I was happy with our four dual DVRs and the family was used to the remotes so why change ?

The rebuilt Vip722 that we received in September started to reboot on its own so I called Dish and ordered a replacement. My grandson pointed out that
the time it took replacing the VIP722 in September. The receiver in question had been out of production for some time now so all replacements are rebuilds.
He suggested we look into upgrading to the Hopper/Joey.

We were used to a total of twelve tuners and wanted a three hopper, two joey setup. Thanks to the discussions here, we were prepared to purchase the third hopper and the installation including a new dish took about six hours.

My point is that re-cycling old hardware has a cost in time and frustration and this may force many in our situation to pull the trigger sooner rather than later.

Observations: The Hoppers and Joeys are pretty much as I expected and this change was also expected (breaking some things and adding some features).
The monthly fees are about the same.
We are glad we made the move.

Well I just got home and realized this update came in today. I was wondering is it normal that the HWS was unresponsive requiring a reset? It happened with the last update too and I see this about once a month. I'm not expecting perfection out of this GREAT dvr but should I be concerned? Don't think it's ever happened to the other HWS in the bedroom.

I have no use for custom guides as I rarely use the guide at all. Most of my viewing is through the DVR, doing searches and Dish Pass (Seek and Record) timers.

Oy ve! First, excellent post Tron. Simply excellent! You missed a few things, but I can post my own, although not as well as you did.

Second, hey SatelliteGuys...can you turn off the automatic quoting in replies for replies that are just too media intensive or for really, really long posts? I think that would be a big help. I am reading the forum on the iPad app. If loading and scrolling through the repeated quote of Tron's initial post doesn't crash my SatelliteGuys app (and it has several times), then it is just plain tedious scrolling through the reports before I can see the next person's post. Tron's post, while invaluable and important, is just too much to scroll through repeatedly in the same thread.

Tron, on the Hopper, have you noticed that new recordings since the update are cutting off the first 5-10 seconds or so of a show? It is minor, but annoying.

Some of the old bugs, like the one you mentioned regarding phantom/invisible folder options in the edit drop down list, are wearing on my nerves. There are some old issues with editing a scheduled recording in certain areas and then being either dumped out of the DVR menu abruptly and completely, or being dropped back to a blank Timers list that has to be exited and re-chosen to view. That one seems intermittent.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I use the custom guide to get rid of all the sports channels, all the kids channels, all the religious channels, all the channels with languages I cannot understand, all the music channels and all the adult channels (cause mom visits a lot and she is very conservative). I then use the custom guide to creat just a Music guide, just an Adult guide, just a Sports guide, etc. they are handy since I am a huge channel surfer and do not want to have to wade through the previously mentioned types of channels, no matter how quickly it can be done. I just don't want to see those channels in my list at all.

Oy ve! First, excellent post Tron. Simply excellent! You missed a few things, but I can post my own, although not as well as you did.

Second, hey SatelliteGuys...can you turn off the automatic quoting in replies for replies that are just too media intensive or for really, really long posts? I think that would be a big help. I am reading...

Thanks Wicked_Girl. Normally I manually edit the quote text myself for long post replies (like I did to yours). That's just me. I know I don't like seeing or having to muddle though all that extra text so think from another perspective that others may not like it either. But I know other people don't think to do that and I don't know of any settings to automatically trim the length of a post.

For the cutoffs, no I don't notice or pay attention to it. It's either not happening for me or the shows I record may start a few seconds off the hour so it doesn't matter. Daughter is watching TV now so I dare not interrupt her to check! I set my recordings to go 1 minute late because for me I cannot stand when I miss the show ending! Happens to me a lot when I record shows from the History channel. I just have to know if Rick yells at Chumlee or the Old Man gets another barely interpretable insult in.

Another problem for me was happening prior to this new update. On a regular Hopper box I would set a series to save new episodes from the PTAT recordings to my "Jim" folder. They never do get put in the folder I designated. Always put in the No Folder. I even tried deleting the timer and redoing it. The only thing I can think of is that DISH can't seem to fix the phantom folder issue so maybe since the folder named "Jim" is the phantom one on that Hopper it screws up the save to that folder. I just move manually later. Ugggh. Not a big deal but since this is my wife's Hopper(!!) I like to keep the few recordings I have to save on that box in my own folder so as not to get lost in the mountain of recordings she has.

I don't believe that PTAT is recording all four nets since the S328 upgrade. Anyone else experiencing this?

The only strange thing I noticed was the on my Hopper w/Sling I never had PTAT enabled. Only on the other regular Hopper. Last Sunday about 5 minutes before PTAT would start to record (7 p.m. CST) I enabled it for Sunday only. Wanted to test something. After PTAT started I noticed the red recording light on for the 3 hours and also saw they were recording using the red button to check. However, when I went to view PTAT shows it displayed that there was nothing to show. OK, I thought that since it was never enabled before that maybe it won't show the recordings until PTAT was over at 10 p.m. Still didn't. Even the next morning it still said no events to display. But not an issue for me personally as the regular Hopper with the new update is working and that's the one I have set up for PTAT. I just disabled it for the Sling again to get back my three tuners.

The only strange thing I noticed was the on my Hopper w/Sling I never had PTAT enabled. Only on the other regular Hopper. Last Sunday about 5 minutes before PTAT would start to record (7 p.m. CST) I enabled it for Sunday only. Wanted to test something. After PTAT started I noticed the red recording light on for the 3 hours and also saw they were recording using the red button to check. However, when I went to view PTAT shows it displayed that there was nothing to show. OK, I thought that since it was never enabled before that maybe it won't show the recordings until PTAT was over at 10 p.m. Still didn't. Even the next morning it still said no events to display. But not an issue for me personally as the regular Hopper with the new update is working and that's the one I have set up for PTAT. I just disabled it for the Sling again to get back my three tuners.

You need to enable PTAT at least 15 minutes prior to the start time. Or at least that's the last official word I've heard.

I've never really had a need for favorites either. I'm paying for all of these channels and I like to be able to see what's on them. I rarely scan through channels anyway, I already know all of my favorite channels and I just input the channel number directly.

I know a few people that love to use the favorites list but I think the majority of our customers don't even know it exists. It's amazing how many features people are unaware of that Dish offers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)