Why upgrade to 942 if you have 921

Celestial

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 7, 2004
Yes, I have all the same issues everybody else has with the 921, resets lockups etc.etc. I own my reciever so an upgrade would require me to purchase another one. I honestly don't want to buy another reciever UNLESS it has MPEG4 capability.

So, for those of us who deal with the 921 and can live with it until we get all the HDTV goodness is it fine to wait??

Yes, waiting would seem to be the sensible thing to do; however, logic & common sense are sometimes out of place around here! :D

--Doug

I upgraded and sold my 921 on eBay, so my 942 cost me about $250 out of pocket. Less headaches, bugs & problems, nicer user interface, can record 3 programs (instead of 2 on 921) while watching a prerecorded show, simultaneous HD & SD outputs, PIP HDTV are some of the reasons why I love my 942. Yeah, MPEG4 is coming out, but while you are waiting for it to be tested and proven, I'll be enjoying that too, while you and others are still waiting for the bugs to be squashed. Maybe when MPEG4 comes out, and I and others put our 942's on eBay, you'll pick one up and enjoy it.

I'm not putting those who wait down. Who's philosophy is right? The one that most agrees with your own!

I'm on the fence with this one. I'd like a 942 just so that I could view HD content in SD on the 2nd TV.

That is my one and only reason to upgrade.

My 921 used to be quite flakey and updates have taken care of most early issues that I had with it. Every once in a great while it takes a notion to show me every channel that E* broadcasts including test-card channels & ones that I can't pronounce, but a RESET fixes that for another few months...

I *WUB* my 921 and the thought of losing 21 hours of HD recorded movies is the ONE thing stopping me.

sigh

Hmm maybe not...

I don't know DVDDAD, how do you know that E* will upgrade the 942 to MPEG4? From what I heard they aren't promising anything. Besides waiting for the DVR with MPEG4 just means we will have the first gen of most likely a buggy product anyway :)

But, I hope they do upgrade the 942, even if they don't do the 921. I wouldn't count on it. When I mean by "upgrade" I mean spool new software or give you an interface card or something.

I am sure they will allow leasers to get a new machine. I own mine so I don't think I will get a break :(

DVDDAD said:
I upgraded and sold my 921 on eBay, so my 942 cost me about $250 out of pocket. Less headaches, bugs & problems, nicer user interface, can record 3 programs (instead of 2 on 921) while watching a prerecorded show, simultaneous HD & SD outputs, PIP HDTV are some of the reasons why I love my 942. Yeah, MPEG4 is coming out, but while you are waiting for it to be tested and proven, I'll be enjoying that too, while you and others are still waiting for the bugs to be squashed. Maybe when MPEG4 comes out, and I and others put our 942's on eBay, you'll pick one up and enjoy it.

I'm not putting those who wait down. Who's philosophy is right? The one that most agrees with your own!

How can this machine record 3 programs at once with only 2 tuners?

Brian

Celestial said:
I don't know DVDDAD, how do you know that E* will upgrade the 942 to MPEG4? From what I heard they aren't promising anything. Besides waiting for the DVR with MPEG4 just means we will have the first gen of most likely a buggy product anyway :)

But, I hope they do upgrade the 942, even if they don't do the 921. I wouldn't count on it. When I mean by "upgrade" I mean spool new software or give you an interface card or something.

I am sure they will allow leasers to get a new machine. I own mine so I don't think I will get a break :(

Yes, they will likely allow leasers an upgrade path as well. But who said they weren't planning a new lease fee for the new machine as well? There will be no software upgrade or add-on card for the current receivers. It has been established that new boxes would be required.

How do I know there will be some sort of upgrade path available to current 6000, 811, 921 & 942 owners? Charlie has said so himself on his chats. I know you have to take what he says with a grain of salt, but I believe him on this one. The upgrade will be absolutely necessary only when the mpeg2 channels go dark or if you want to get new channels. Your current receiver will be very usable for the foreseeable future. When the mpeg4 channels come out there will likely be a new HD tier with additional programming fees attached to them, if you want the privilege to pay for them and get them you'll need to swap out your receiver for a nominal charge (and programming commitment). You wouldn't order the additional channels and pay the fee, if you also need to lay out big money for a new receiver. E* knows this and will want the additional programming fees and will help pay to swap out the receivers in order to get the additional income. And, when the mpeg2 channels go dark, they will not want to lose you as a customer and will also subsidize the cost of the new receivers to keep you as a customer. Again, you will likely have to pay a nominal fee and commit to another year or two of programming. If they didn't do this, they would risk going out of business, that's how I know we can trust what Charlie says about this.