Why use 61.5 ? Confused

Y2k06

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 16, 2006
I've seen a lot of posts here about using a wing dish for 61.5. Is there any significant reason why, if the main dish (either a 1000 or 1000.2) is pointing for 110, 119, 129.

Is there some advantage for having 61.5 in addition to the other 3 orbital birds?

Does 61.5 still mirror 129?

I've seen a lot of posts here about using a wing dish for 61.5. Is there any significant reason why, if the main dish (either a 1000 or 1000.2) is pointing for 110, 119, 129.

Is there some advantage for having 61.5 in addition to the other 3 orbital birds?

Does 61.5 still mirror 129?
It depends on what part of the country you are in. Many new HD LIL's (local HD channels) have recently been added to 61.5. If you are in a market that now has the HD LIL's on 61.5, you may want a new dish. 61.5 will also be part on the new "Eastern Arc" all mpeg-4 service E* will announce at Team Summit later this month. If you are currently receiving the HD channels that you should from 110/119/129 then there is no need to add a 61.5 dish at this time.

National HD services are currently mirrored....New LIL's are being added to 61.5 . ...61.5 gives the opportunity to receive service on the east coast due to the higher look angle vs 129....

Ah.. Yes...that makes sense.

I'm in N Central Texas, and while 129 has the lowest signal strength (around 22-26), it hasn't dropped the signal.

But, speaking of... what would happen if I DID add 61.5 (have a couple of unused D-500's (all DP PRO). The reasoning is during storms (and we get a lot of them), most always the signal will blocked, but with 61.5 pointing much further to the East, would the receiver recognize this and work as an 'alternate' or back-up until storms passed and 129 came up again?

Good question I have the exact same problem.....but don't have locals yet in HD......I am in the Midwest. Whenever it gets cloudy and rainy i loose 129 easily. I think if you want one istalled than dish is going to charge you.....when I called they said that I would have to sign a contract for 2 years and asked why I would even want 61.5 at this time, I told them that I get the 129 signal blanking out all the time whenever I get heavy clouds....even without rain....they said it probably needs adjusting......I doubt that though from what I heard 129 is weak to begin with.

Ah.. Yes...that makes sense.

I'm in N Central Texas, and while 129 has the lowest signal strength (around 22-26), it hasn't dropped the signal.

But, speaking of... what would happen if I DID add 61.5 (have a couple of unused D-500's (all DP PRO). The reasoning is during storms (and we get a lot of them), most always the signal will blocked, but with 61.5 pointing much further to the East, would the receiver recognize this and work as an 'alternate' or back-up until storms passed and 129 came up again?

If you have the time to play...go for it.....Your receiver will still lock on whichever TSP on whichever bird that the signal level is sufficient.

Good question I have the exact same problem.....but don't have locals yet in HD......I am in the Midwest. Whenever it gets cloudy and rainy i loose 129 easily. I think if you want one istalled then dish is going to charge you.....when I called they said that I would have to sign a contract for 2 years and asked why I would even want 61.5 at this time, I told them that I get the 129 signal blanking out all the time whenever I get heavy clouds....even without rain....they said it probably needs adjusting......I doubt that though from what I heard 129 is weak to begin with.

I thought finding 61.5 was relatively easy when I used to have one....well before 129 started picking up the load from 129 and "Voom" was on 61.5 at the time as well from what I recall.

Anyway, Would think you could use ye ole auction site to find a dish with a single LNB and either run it to D1000.2 or direct inside to a DPP44 switch as 4th input.

The QUESITON IS... what conflict would exist using 129 and 61.5? since some is mirrored wonder what outcome that would have?

I thought finding 61.5 was relatively easy when I used to have one....well before 129 started picking up the load from 129 and "Voom" was on 61.5 at the time as well from what I recall.

Anyway, Would think you could use ye ole auction site to find a dish with a single LNB and either run it to D1000.2 or direct inside to a DPP44 switch as 4th input.

The QUESITON IS... what conflict would exist using 129 and 61.5? since some is mirrored wonder what outcome that would have?

Playing with a 1000.2 & dish 500 could create capture problems 129 vs 61.5. Usually, the stronger tsp on either sat that has mirrored activity, will dominate. If a problem with the 129 bird on the 1000.2 shows up, temporarily block the 129 lnb lens. Remember, you are playing. Enjoy.

I have a dish 1000 and dpp44 switch. Don't have the 1000.2 Not sure what, if any, difference that would make.....

Where can I find what all is actually on (channels etc) on 61.5?

BTW-- I like to play :D

Using the 1000, if conflicks occur between 129/61.5, disconnect the DP/129 lnb from the DDP twin. Or remove the cable from the input on DPP44. Channels are changing, almost as we type. Look at the top of this thread and click on LIST for ch choices

I have this setup with a dish 1000.2 and it works great. Whenever it snows I lose 129 pretty quick. Usually I just run a checkswitch again and 129 wont come in, but 61.5 will. I didnt have to mess with it much this year, the dish 1000.2 seems to be a bit better than a dish 1000, but when I did try it I was able to national HD. My HD locals are on 129 so I lost those, but usually I watch the OTA locals anyways.

National HD services are currently mirrored....New LIL's are being added to 61.5 . ...61.5 gives the opportunity to receive service on the east coast due to the higher look angle vs 129....

Jerry,

The reason 61.5 was used to Mirror the National HD channels also carried at 129 is because the signal footprint of Echostar V located at 129 does NOT reach any Dish Subscribers In PA or any State North or East of PA, most of Florida, and Extreme Southeast Texas.

John

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)