Why Voom is in Sears

LOBO2999

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 1, 2004
Cumming, GA
I was at circuitcity tonight and I ask if they were ever going to carry Voom , the one guy never heard of them but one of the mangers told me that they didnt think so because they were an affilate of Dish and thats why they were only in Sears , What do you all think? :D

LOBO2999 said:
I was at circuitcity tonight and I ask if they were ever going to carry Voom , the one guy never heard of them but one of the mangers told me that they didnt think so because they were an affilate of Dish and thats why they were only in Sears , What do you all think? :D
Dish is in Sears so I dont know why voom cant be in CC

LOBO2999 said:

Maybe it will be a affilate of Dish if Charlie uses them for hd content on the 61.5 sat. Of course Dish could just buy Voom then it would be an affilate . :yes

MikeD-C05 said:
Maybe it will be a affilate of Dish if Charlie uses them for hd content on the 61.5 sat. Of course Dish could just buy Voom then it would be an affilate . :yes

Troll elsewhere. The day Dish buys Voom is the day I'm an honorary Colonel that develops my own chain of fried chicken restaurants.

Hopefully the Dolans and Cablevision won't put us out to pasture with Charley Ergen. We'd fare better if they sold us to the French.

I stopped the local Sears shortly after VoOm was launched....a total waste of time... Call 1-800-GET-VOOM.... nuff' said

cameron119 said:
Troll elsewhere. The day Dish buys Voom is the day I'm an honorary Colonel that develops my own chain of fried chicken restaurants.

Hopefully the Dolans and Cablevision won't put us out to pasture with Charley Ergen. We'd fare better if they sold us to the French.

Call me a troll all you will, but Charlie has already talked about using Voom for hd content earlier this year in one of his retailer chats. It would make perfect sense for Charlie to use them for hd content as a hd provider since they already are on the 61.5 satellite space.

Do you really think that Voom will be as popular as Dish or Directv? I don't see them lasting unless they either sell themselves as a hd content provider to both satellite services or they are bought by either Dish or Directv. They are right now a niche service with about 10,000 customers who mostly rent the service and a small minority who bought their receivers.

Remember it is only televison. ;)

I'm amazed at the constant comparisons between VOOM and other services. Yes, they are a "niche" service...that's the whole point. They address a different segment of the consumer market than other services.

Lob

I was in my Local Sears last night and Voom was on almost every HD set(Except 2 that were running DVDs) and about half their SD sets. When I was there 4 months ago it was on 1 Hd Set and nobody had much info. I'd say the Sears in Springfield Mass(Eastfield Mall) is doing its part. Kudos to them.

-Chris

Lobstah said:
I'm amazed at the constant comparisons between VOOM and other services. Yes, they are a "niche" service...that's the whole point. They address a different segment of the consumer market than other services.

Lob

But can they survive as a niche service? Most businesses are started with the expectation of struggle for some time period - usually 18 to 24 months. After that, they better be at least breaking even or they will likely be history. How many subscribers will Voom need to break even? At 10,000 subscribers, at an estimated average of $60 per month, that's only $7.2M per year. I doubt that would come close to even covering their satellite transponder charges to say nothing of their other costs. Maybe 100,000 users will get them close - but how close are they now to saturating their market? It will get more and more difficult for them to draw away Dish and DirecTV customers. They have some advantages over the competition as well as disadvantages - but they need to really build up some customer base in the next year. I want to see them succeed, but they may need to start appealing to the SD market in order to boost their customer base...

Hey guy,

I work for cc. It sucks we can't carry voom. The reason is becuse we have an agreement with directv not to carry other satellite carriers. It would be awesome if we did. I love my system. I'll never go back to direct.

adis452 said:
Hey guy,

I work for cc. It sucks we can't carry voom. The reason is becuse we have an agreement with directv not to carry other satellite carriers. It would be awesome if we did. I love my system. I'll never go back to direct.

I hate when retailers do that. If you aren't selling Dishnetwork, then you are alienating almost half of the potential buyers out there. If Voom really takes off, then it could be an even bigger portion. No doubt Directv paid a hefty sum for exclusivity, but sometimes it ends up biting them in the ass.

A local convenience store chain here got big bucks from Pepsi to be the only soft drink company in their stores. Could you imagine not carring Coke, Diet Coke, or Sprite? Probably 3 of the top 5 items. It made good money for the corporate office, but put many franchisees out of business.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)