why was there a major internet outage monday

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 13, 2005
daytona beach
what the heck is going on guys? the net was down about 2.5 hours monday afternoon and my buddies at the sentinel said it was a major screw-up that evidently hit all of central florida.

saw the blog.......my sentinel friend already told me about it. but thanks for posting the link, charpie!!!

no big deal........road runner was down, in at least, 4 central florida counties for over two hours and its no big deal? this on the heels of december's meltdown in orlando where many customers lost their cable for over 8 hours. what the he** is going on bhn?

Equipment, though remarkably reliable, does occasionally fail. What is wrong here is that the web is supposed to be just that-a web, so that if one path fails, traffic can be forwarded out a different port and follow a different path to the same destination. This failure indicates BHN had at least one path with no redundancy, or an alternate with too little capacity.

iceturkee this is the first internet outage of its type at BHN in my 7 years of being employed here. The digital outage in Dec you speak of was also the first of its kind in at least the 7 years I have worked here.. (also note cable worked fine on every single tv without a box). In fact I cant recall any major service outage we have ever had that was not because of say a cut fiber, in the last 7 years. Which is completely beyond BHN's control.

jcarra, it was a gateway server that was down, which affected the DNS services across the network, which is why some worked some didnt. Some sites worked some didnt. It depends on where your traffic was being routed through. It wasnt an issue of your link to the net was dead, it was an issue of the thing that tells you where to go on the web was dead, so your computer did not get information from the server to know where to go. When you did get info from another server it sent you down clogged pipes. It was not an edge router it was a core router. BHN operates a completely redundant Ring, each hub is linked to the headend and linked to each other, so if one fiber is lost or router lost they can be rerouted but you will get slow downs. Because now you have 2 hubs going into one. In the case yesterday you had all of them being rerouted. Their is no cost effective way to plan for spare capacity that is 100% of your normal capacity. Most networks run at 50% or less standard load.

i wasn't able to access any websites for over 2 hours.

and yes, i have had bhn services for a long time and these are the first two major failures that i am aware of.

my concern is that it appears bhn service has gone downhill over the past few years. major complaints about the recent software upgrade for your cable boxes to many people, including myself, constantly having slower than normal internet speeds. my problem was finally resolved but not everybody's has.

i ditched your cable service 2 years ago and it looks like i'm about ready to dump your internet service too (plus digital phone).

resting on past laurels is fine. but that will only buy you so much coffee when you have back to back major system failures in less than 2 months.

Your internet speeds were fixed, and if I remmeber correctly it was not even BHNS fault as to why it was slow. So cant hold that against them.

If they were the same issue back to back, I would be worried. But they were two completely different issues.

As far as speeds go, they are very isloated issues most people who complain about issues have a problem affecting at most their own node (or card) (200-500modems) or at least only themselves. Most are the later... I have had great speeds personnaly since the upgrade to 15/2 and with powerboost I can burst over 20mbit from certain sites.

two very serious issues that can't be lightly ignored. and please, as a retired reporter, get yourself a better public relations person. sarah brady is about the worst example of a mouthpiece i've heard or personally dealt with. i know a pr person is suppose to spin bad and make it sound better. but to tell your paying customers to assume there is a problem because the phone lines are busy is inexcuseable. sorry, i use to think you had a great company that i use to defend to the hilt. i can't anymore.

The phone lines are busy. Thats the best they can say. Its the honest truth. When hundreds of thousands of people call at one time, even 911 service couldnt handle the rush. What do you want her to do lie? How else can they get the information out? If the internet is down, telling the customer to check the website does not make sense. They have no other outlet. Cept the media, which was notified and broadcast the story.

It makes sense to tell people hey if the lines are so busy you cant get through, stop calling wait a little while and try again if you still have the problem. If the line is still busy well its a major issue and save yourself the time and dont call just wait for them to fix. Why have customers wasteing time trying to call and call and wait on hold for an hour or two?

In case anyone's interested.. TimeWarner's backbone went down and remaining traffic for Central Florida and East Coast Florida was re-routed to Level3 severs. TimeWarner was also down. Not just Brighthouse.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)